Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 26-05-2011, 10:38 PM   #1
Aris
Arofanatic

Default Dr. Lim Wee Kiat: "Low Pay Is A Loss Of Dignity"

The PAP can no longer has the ability to attract able and upright people with the best talents to help run Singapore. They have a value system that justifies why they need to be paid millions, Here is one new MP confirming what we suspect all along.

"If the annual salary of the Minister of Information, Communication and Arts is only $500,000, it may pose some problems when he discuss policies with media CEOs who earn millions of dollars because they need not listen to the minister's ideas and proposals, hence a reasonable payout will help to maintain a bit of dignity."
- Dr Lim Wee Kiat, PAP MP for Nee Soon GRC, 24
May 2011 in Lianhe Wanbao.
http://news.omy.sg/News/Local+News/S...23-247913.html
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 03:58 PM   #2
CBTG
Dragon

That depend la. Maybe someone earn 10k , would still listen to her maid would earn lesser than 1k. But should be rare as people size u up if they know u only earn less than a faction than him.
CBTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #3
PKB
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
"If the annual salary of the Minister of Information, Communication and Arts is only $500,000, it may pose some problems when he discuss policies with media CEOs who earn millions of dollars because they need not listen to the minister's ideas and proposals, hence a reasonable payout will help to maintain a bit of dignity."
- Dr Lim Wee Kiat, PAP MP for Nee Soon GRC, 24
May 2011 in Lianhe Wanbao.
http://news.omy.sg/News/Local+News/S...23-247913.html

Orrr.. now I understand why they never listen to the people. Because our pay is much lower than theirs.

So should our minimum pay to raise to MP level of SDG15K a month or should the MP pay to lowered so that we can communicate better?
PKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 06:19 PM   #4
dinotoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKB View Post
Orrr.. now I understand why they never listen to the people. Because our pay is much lower than theirs.

So should our minimum pay to raise to MP level of SDG15K a month or should the MP pay to lowered so that we can communicate better?
Bravo, sound very logical...
Old 27-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
lohsinlong
Dragon

Thumbs down

i suddenly i have lost my dignity coz i earn such a low pay. Siao liao, cant go find MP coz they sure c me no up coz i earn a low pay plus no dignity.
lohsinlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 06:38 PM   #6
PKB
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohsinlong View Post
i suddenly i have lost my dignity coz i earn such a low pay. Siao liao, cant go find MP coz they sure c me no up coz i earn a low pay plus no dignity.
Will they ask for our CPF statment before we are allow to meet MP?
PKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 07:14 PM   #7
AlvinLeong
Dragon

He apologised already.

Before that still said simi kena misquoted or said jokingly only. Now apologised.

Quote:
Clarification, apology and withdrawal of my quote.
.by Lim Wee Kiak on Friday, May 27, 2011 at 4:12pm.

Minister's pay is a sensitive issue and is one that many are concerned about. I would like to clarify my comments made to Lianhe Zaobao and also reproduced in LianheWanBao

I made three fundamental points.

1. We need a balanced approach to the question of Ministerial pay.

2. Personally, I think we should not use pay and perks to attract capable people to come forward to serve. I agree with PM that there is a service to country element and an element of sacrifice expected for the Ministers by the public.

3. On the other hand, we need to take into consideration their responsibilities and job scope when we remunerate Ministers.

On further reflection, I agree that the example I quoted regarding a MICA minister meeting the heads of telcos and saying that there may be some loss of face if the minister's salary is low is inappropriate and incorrect. I withdraw those remarks and apologise for making them. Dignity cannot be and must not be measured purely in monetary terms.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
peanut
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKB View Post
Will they ask for our CPF statment before we are allow to meet MP?
That's why we only able to reach the grass roots.. MP only show face when license about to expire..
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #9
etgoh
Arofanatic

now i know why other country head dont like to visit singapore...they will feel inferior in front of our highly paid elites...
etgoh is offline   Reply With Quote