Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 04-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
shalabin
Dragon

Default How do u know if your ray is eating?

Hi all,

How do u all know whether ur rays are eating? As ray eat wif food below them and we cant really see the food goin into their mouth. Also what food is gd for motoros at the size of ard 5" n 8" ? How long can they go w/o food? Isit a good time to train them on MP?

Tried feeding them GS but seems like their aiming is not that accurate and keep missing and the ITs whack everything b4 they can manage to get 1.

Any suggestions on my above qns would be welcome.

Thanks and regards~|
shalabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
aia414
Arofanatic

ITs eat fast ad furious, esp. live feeders, sure go in no time....if you have too many of them with your ray, I suggest you seperate them so as to not deprive your rays of food.
aia414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 02:09 AM   #3
shalabin
Dragon

wow thats bad....i have 4 IT with my ray n have no spare tank....any idea isit a good idea to train my ray to take MP at this size. They juz came to my tank 2 days ago.

Thanks
Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 AM   #4
LongFFwu

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalabin View Post
Hi all,

How do u all know whether ur rays are eating? As ray eat wif food below them and we cant really see the food goin into their mouth. Also what food is gd for motoros at the size of ard 5" n 8" ? How long can they go w/o food? Isit a good time to train them on MP?

Tried feeding them GS but seems like their aiming is not that accurate and keep missing and the ITs whack everything b4 they can manage to get 1.

Any suggestions on my above qns would be welcome.

Thanks and regards~|
Hey bro, normally when rays eat they will "arch" their backs and the best indication to know whether or not they have eaten is when the food is gone after they swim away.

My rays are around that size too. I feed them fresh haybees, bloodworms and small slices of mp and sotong. They take canivorous pellets too. You can always train them to take a variety of food. Your discretion.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
shalabin
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongFFwu View Post
Hey bro, normally when rays eat they will "arch" their backs and the best indication to know whether or not they have eaten is when the food is gone after they swim away.

My rays are around that size too. I feed them fresh haybees, bloodworms and small slices of mp and sotong. They take canivorous pellets too. You can always train them to take a variety of food. Your discretion.
Thanx bro for ur info,

But i see my rays "arch" their back while over the MP but after they swim off the MP still there. So dunno isit they dun like to eat, dun want to eat or juz simply nv even tried but its juz becoz they happen to swim over it.

Bloodworms urs is frozen type? I bought small cubes of frozen blood worm from lfs but dump it in the tank all floating wun sink. So my ray cant get to them.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
shalabin
Dragon

Hi all,

Juz to chk wif all the bros whose ray eat pellets. Can share what brand of pellet ur ray take? Also the rays accept readily? I juz got a pack of hikari sinking carnivore pellet. But no luck in getting them to eat.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 12:06 AM   #7
whale88
Dragon

my SP has been taking Hikari sinking pellets. been taking since day 1 I got her home.

my tank is bare bottom, hence can see the reflection of of pellets going into ray's mouth.
whale88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
shalabin
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whale88 View Post
my SP has been taking Hikari sinking pellets. been taking since day 1 I got her home.

my tank is bare bottom, hence can see the reflection of of pellets going into ray's mouth.
Hi bro,

How big is ur ray ? Do ur sp ray consume it by swallowing it or chewing? Mine the pellet is small and round yet i see my motoro chew and chew and chew and nv swallow...isit eating or juz playing ard with it? It does the same thing wif MPs.

Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
new_
Dragon

Quote:

But i see my rays "arch" their back while over the MP but after they swim off the MP still there.
could it be ur MP is too big? try cutting it into smaller pieces. how i get my sakuras to accept MP was to mix minced MP with cutted up ghost shrimps. the minced MP will be quite sticky and can be "rolled" into a ball with the cutted up ghost shrimps inside.

Quote:
Juz to chk wif all the bros whose ray eat pellets. Can share what brand of pellet ur ray take? Also the rays accept readily?
mine takes both hikari lionhead and carnivore pellets.
female accept readily but not the male.
new_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:55 PM   #10
shalabin
Dragon

Thanks for the info guys, will try it out and update again.

Thanks alot