Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 29-07-2005, 04:39 PM   #11
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76
u can add plants...ah bo got one method is u draw the water liao hor...then top up half....then draw again....then top up full.....said to b useful....but i do liao nvr test the nitrate level.
next week do liao let u noe if u still havent try lah.
If you intends to get plants to reduce the nitrate levels, you probably needs a lot of plants, pal.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 04:46 PM   #12
sean76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroboy II
If you intends to get plants to reduce the nitrate levels, you probably needs a lot of plants, pal.
hahhah..but plus regular wc...can keep within range lah....unless he dun wan do wc then use plant. then i also agree wif u...he need damn alot of plant. he he he
Old 29-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #13
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
hahhah..but plus regular wc...can keep within range lah....unless he dun wan do wc then use plant. then i also agree wif u...he need damn alot of plant. he he he
Bro, even with regular water changes aro tank needs a lot of plants to keep nitrate at bay IMHO.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 04:51 PM   #14
ChuckII
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
u can add plants...ah bo got one method is u draw the water liao hor...then top up half....then draw again....then top up full.....said to b useful....but i do liao nvr test the nitrate level.
next week do liao let u noe if u still havent try lah.

Dun tink will implant plants into my tank...beri troublesome leh...hehehe

Tink i will be doing WC every 2-3 days for tis 1 or 2 wks to bring down the nitrates lvl gradually to a safe lvl 1st n test out if it works loh...n oso control on the feeding parts... Thks alot bro...
ChuckII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 04:57 PM   #15
sean76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroboy II
Bro, even with regular water changes aro tank needs a lot of plants to keep nitrate at bay IMHO.
ok lor....then dun a denitrator lor...
Old 29-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #16
Hobbit6003
Dragon

Quote:
Very true, most canister are setup for aerobic activity, can't really expect it to do anaerobic filtration well with such high flowrate & little filter medias.
I used to stop at such basic filtration too, but u guys been talking about denitrification, & I thought it may work if I ......
Well, recently, I had been adding more & more canisters with larger filter medias & under very slow flowrate down stream of main 2260 canister for denitrification activity. Like canister DSB?
Not sure how well it will work, but nitrate levels are going down. Still dropping I think.

Anyway, for those interested, hold on the project for another few months. I hope to share my "Combi" filtration soon for tank with low loading.
Hi Ken,

Sorry to have misunderstood you!

Hey, it's great to hear that you're experimenting on denitrification, do keep us posted alright?

Cheers,

Kenny
Hobbit6003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 05:35 PM   #17
Hobbit6003
Dragon

About plants being a nitrogenous waste remover, you must first ensure that the plants have a conducive environment to live in first, eg. good light, a source of carbon dioxide, other macro/micronutrients.

Otherwise, if the plants don't do well, then this may backfire when they themselves die off.

Cheers,

Kenny
Hobbit6003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2005, 06:32 PM   #18
Fraserlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_yg
U know me well.
Still keeping my project "fogged". Maybe the filtration for tomorrow tank will have combination of such filtration for less water changes.
Already in place. Turner's fall, massachusetts. 0.1% water change daily!

They're producing 200tons of fish in a little less than one hectare land.
Old 30-07-2005, 04:05 PM   #19
tagore

Use the denitrator.to eliminate nitrates. The concept is to breed bacteria at zero oxygen environment which will digest the waste and remove nitrates.