Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 26-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #1
al2owana

Default Dying Arowana...

My arowana seems like its slowly dying. It isn't eating anymore and is losing color. It's a 8" Jardini, it was a dark color now its a very light silver. Also his tail has lost all color. What could be wrong, need some help soon!

Thank you.
Old 26-07-2005, 02:58 PM   #2
Fraserlo

Run test on all your water parameters. Crosscheck with those of natural habitat and adjust env accordingly.

Where you? I expect hawaiian waters to be extremely hard. Exceptable for koi, bad for aro. Get a softener while you are at it with test kits.
Old 26-07-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
al2owana

Tap water's PH level should be 7.0, neutral. I'm not sure about the other things, I will pick up test kits tomorrow. Will using black water extract help?

Thanks for the help.
Old 26-07-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Fraserlo

Alot. Dump in first thing you get your hands on it.
Old 26-07-2005, 03:13 PM   #5
al2owana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraserlo
Alot. Dump in first thing you get your hands on it.
Cool, been using that for a while now, wonder what else could be wrong? Should I change the water and use more? Maybe add some salt?
Old 26-07-2005, 03:14 PM   #6
davefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2owana
Tap water's PH level should be 7.0, neutral. I'm not sure about the other things, I will pick up test kits tomorrow. Will using black water extract help?

Thanks for the help.
Bro, tapwater's pH is 7 doesn't mean it will be 7 in your tank.. if so then everyone's water will be pH 7.

I think you need to provide more information, such as did you have a massive water change that's why you said your pH will be the same as the source?, what is your filtration system? How long have you had it running? What are you feeding the aro?
Old 26-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
Fraserlo

If it's hard, you need omosis to do the trick. Test water first.
Old 26-07-2005, 03:24 PM   #8
al2owana

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefish
Bro, tapwater's pH is 7 doesn't mean it will be 7 in your tank.. if so then everyone's water will be pH 7.

I think you need to provide more information, such as did you have a massive water change that's why you said your pH will be the same as the source?, what is your filtration system? How long have you had it running? What are you feeding the aro?
Yes, I did actually perform a massive water change recently...almost half of the tank. I'm using a Magnum 350 with bio wheels, I've had this filter running for about 3 weeks. I'm feeding the aro shrimp, pellets and sometimes crickets. I'll be sure to buy some test kits tomorrow and adjust the water conditions.

Thanks
Old 26-07-2005, 03:35 PM   #9
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2owana
Yes, I did actually perform a massive water change recently...almost half of the tank. I'm using a Magnum 350 with bio wheels, I've had this filter running for about 3 weeks. I'm feeding the aro shrimp, pellets and sometimes crickets. I'll be sure to buy some test kits tomorrow and adjust the water conditions.

Thanks
I think your tank is not fully cycled! Meantime, get a canister filter and invest in bio-media in your filter such as biohome. Meantime, reduce feeding or feed sparingly. Do your water parameters testing as soon as possible before all of us just "guessing" nia.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #10
davefish

Your tank is experiencing a nitrite spike. During tank cycle, nitrite spikes at the end of 14 days (2 wks) if no water change is performed throughout the process. If water change is performed, it stretches time it takes to fully cycle so 3 wks should be around there.

I believe you did the massive change after you saw it very stressed and lose colour? pH drops during tank cycling, and when you did the large water change your aro has to deal with the sudden increased pH. However, it should be relieved by the sudden loss in nitrite. My guess is it will stablise once it adapted to the higher pH.