Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > AquaMedics Board & Pet Loss

Old 31-07-2005, 12:08 PM   #1
zihao

Exclamation The deluded concept about coconut juice to reduce pH

I am pretty sad that this particular nooby giving wrong advises all around. So for those who have ever heard his idea to use coconut juice to lower pH. Think again why did your fish suffered and how did his fish die too. Well sad to say, here are some links for reference for correction of this wrong myth:

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...9&page=2&pp=10
Post number 16

For your information:
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....onut_water.htm
ph of blood is slightly alkaline so is coconut juice. Add coconut juice will reduce pH?

Last edited by Vetduck; 01-08-2005 at 12:03 AM.
Old 31-07-2005, 01:27 PM   #2
Fraserlo

I'm surprise, zihao! Sulphuric acid?

You don't think HCl safer?
Old 31-07-2005, 01:51 PM   #3
zihao

HCL is not so easily available as H2SO4.
Dont have to worry about sulphates as long there isn't any precipitation metal ions around like Barium. And I bet no one would have Barium (Ba) in their tank water, if so, your fish would already have belly up. Even if there is calcium, some much that precipitation occurs, then there is big problem with your water parameter.

Both HCl (Hydrochloric acid) and H2SO4 (Sulphuric acid) are practically the same. Though the later produces 2H+ ions per molecule after ionisation/deassociation. The strength of acid is measured by the ionisation/deassociation constant and not how many H+ it produces. And do not again be mislead by sulphuric acid burning stuff away, those are highly concentrated ones which only made available in the industries.

And if you are talking about the availability of safe Sulphuric acid. Look for non-lead containing battery water and many other possible sources. For HCL, it is not that readily available, unless you work in the chemical industry.

So I see no reason to talk about safer or not safer.
Old 31-07-2005, 01:54 PM   #4
zihao

Just another piece of information, you can add EDTA ethylenediaminetetraacetate if such precipitation as mentioned above occurs. EDTA will chelate away the metal ions. Well, like I said, if there are such metal ions so much to cause precipitation on adding H2SO4, you have better do something about your tank water. Though there are also many natural ways to do it, but you cant directly control many things like coloring of the water by K.leaves and the real pH of how much to add to attain a suitable pH.
Old 31-07-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Fraserlo

You know your stuff. A chemistry major? Or EnvSci major? Or was it that one subject you took in analytical chemistry? It’s no wonder sulphuric acid employ in alum extraction but not HCl. Why you know?

Chelating metals? It’ll be safer if those metals are precipitated. Don’t you think? What’s more, when you add acid to a tank of water you’ll never physically see precipitation in the tank, as you would see in a lousy car battery, before all your other biological load dies off. As will be compare to the test tube. That you’d agree.

Have you raise heckel discus before? In pH 4.5? They die with sulphuric acid.

Have you done any comparisons between fish raise in optimum env and fish raise just to keep it alive for your humanly pleasures? Apistogramma in a planted tank as compare to a bare tank. Cardinal tetra. The difference?

Well, sulphuric acid works. For us, that is; for they are alive and kicking. And not for them; they are force into accepting your easy second best of which I’m not sure if those of us who are privileged in life, those endowed with education like you and me, should apply our knowledge like a superior being because we can muster hard facts to prove and theorise an easy solution like hitler. Would you rather be a lazy doctor that gives out antibiotics for the slightest symptoms of any sort to any patients, or are you a doctor that gives out panadol knowing your patient is suffering from seasonal hay fever and his pain will go away after a longer while? Are we superior simply because we can flip books? Or should we humble ourselves and subdue that life is not unto itself?

Would you agree?
Old 31-07-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
zihao

Sick and tired of Modern Chemistry. So dont wish to reveal how much I went into it.

Certainly good that these metals are chelated but the same will go to metal trace elements essential for growth and development. Thus, you would never want to have such high level of metal content in your water. When you add acid, you will actually see real precipitation of cloudness. That is why in cloudy water issues, we would suspect either chemical precipitation or B.Bloom.

I have no comments about heckel discus. Like I said, it is how you calculate the pH and not the nature of the acid itself. For those without test kit, arm yourself with chemistry knowledge. For those who has it, use it and add the acid in steps. But certainly, there is an equilibrium point where by the pH is buffered. Once overshot that point, a few drops of acid will drastically change the pH exponentially. I wont want to talk about how accurate one must be in playing with your pH and most fish live in pretty wide range of pH. So I had never see a point to get testers which many have it now.

For me, when I talk about optimum conditions, it is for breeding. Mostly would just want their fish to be keep alive barely as it would be less time consuming, less effort spend and economical. For cardinal tetras, I have got it spawning using chemical induction methods which I dont want to touch on. It is just a small project though.

Hmmm. Certainly I will choose to be the later. Not the lazy one. Specific solution for specific problems. Well just like doctors, they would tell you too much into it though they will still mention to you the terms etc but not the mechanism behind it. The same applies here. Most of it are pretty comprehensive and put to layman terms. Some scientific terms are still unavoidable though. Most of us here hear so much how B.Bacteria is, and yes, that is a scientific term too. It is just how much you expose to it.

About superiority etc and about that we can flip books, everyone has done that flipping books. It is more of application and making things work for us. We can't talk about superiority in science as it is ever changing and improvement. One minute someone claims that we can travel into the future. The other minute a hypothesis somehow show that the possibility is there. It is about refinement, correction, sharing and not showing superiority.
Old 31-07-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Fraserlo

Not so superior now aey.

Good for you.
Old 31-07-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
zihao

Yap. Great. Thanks. What kind of fish are you keeping now? A little off topic but better than opening a new thread. It has been some time since I come back to this forum.
Old 31-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #9
Vetduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zihao
I am pretty sad that this particular nooby giving wrong advises all around. So for those who have ever heard his idea to use coconut juice to lower pH. Think again why did your fish suffered and how did his fish die too. Well sad to say, here are some links for reference for correction of this wrong myth:

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...9&page=2&pp=10
Post number 16

For your information:
http://www.wildernessfamilynaturals....onut_water.htm
ph of blood is slightly alkaline so is coconut juice. Add coconut juice will reduce pH? Only in Rough Lauren's dreamz.
I know that it's a bizarre idea, using coconut juice to lower pH. I'm glad you decided to post it to dispel the myth. That's what aromedic forum was setup up to do. However I we could have a little more tact here.

Rough Lauren may have presented the idea of coconut juice. Bizarre it might be, but he may have also been a victim of the same myth. No very nice feeling to share one's thoughts & get shot down like that. A simple pm to the party concerned to point out the mistake would suffice.

I hope you understand the perspective I'm coming from. Cheers.

Last edited by Vetduck; 01-08-2005 at 12:01 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 12:21 AM   #10
zihao

No prob Vetduck. Thanks for editing that line away.
After searching the forum for similar ideas, but somehow he is the myth starter. A pm wont correct the wrong idea conveyed to the others though it might only to correct the myth starter.

Cheers.