Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Spakase

Default Dovii

I've been keeping some Doviis and they are absolutely fabulous fishes.

Some of the admirable qualities are, they are extremely tough, adaptable and ranks high on survival.

The downside of these fishes is that it is not a good community tank fish in the long run. They seem to want to eliminate fishes weaker than they are and they go about doing so predictably.

A few months ago, I started off a new collection of 7 small Doviis in a small tank comprising of other similar sized cichlids. Over the months, the population dwindled, eventually I am down to three bigger Doviis and not many cichlids left. Then noticed that the three are also having wounds, hence I separated the three and they are now fine.

I also have another bigger Dovii with my big fishes and he's doing very well, it's definitely a male with the striking colours and hope he can make it to a large size. These fishes really inspire because of their ferocity, daring and cunning ways of survival. There seems to be two strains, a Costa Rican and Nicaraguan, I prefer the latter which is the traditional turquoise coloured Dovii, not many turquoise coloured fishes although many blue ones.

Eventually hope to be able to keep at least one solid male Dovii amongst my other fish collections.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:07 PM   #2
frontosa
Dragon

Hi,

Long time no hear from you...been lack of CA interests in the forum lately. You need to come out take the lead

Any pics of your dovii to share?
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
fishxotica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
I've been keeping some Doviis and they are absolutely fabulous fishes.

Some of the admirable qualities are, they are extremely tough, adaptable and ranks high on survival.

The downside of these fishes is that it is not a good community tank fish in the long run. They seem to want to eliminate fishes weaker than they are and they go about doing so predictably.

A few months ago, I started off a new collection of 7 small Doviis in a small tank comprising of other similar sized cichlids. Over the months, the population dwindled, eventually I am down to three bigger Doviis and not many cichlids left. Then noticed that the three are also having wounds, hence I separated the three and they are now fine.

I also have another bigger Dovii with my big fishes and he's doing very well, it's definitely a male with the striking colours and hope he can make it to a large size. These fishes really inspire because of their ferocity, daring and cunning ways of survival. There seems to be two strains, a Costa Rican and Nicaraguan, I prefer the latter which is the traditional turquoise coloured Dovii, not many turquoise coloured fishes although many blue ones.

Eventually hope to be able to keep at least one solid male Dovii amongst my other fish collections.
I agree with bro Spakase I have one at home coming to 5" in my FGT together with a Vieja S. and a Jack Dempsey
Old 04-10-2010, 01:01 AM   #4
Spakase

Hee, I still have some cichlids, although I tone down a lot.

Will try to take some pics of my Doviis. Also have Haitensis that I am watching closely as they are quite fragile.

Central American cichlids are evergreen fishes.

Actually got a really nice male Jaguar, spots and all, hoping this fish will grow really big, it's already bred, but the fry I gave away, fella killed his mate, would have to find another female to breed him.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:02 AM   #5
B2K

Are they(dovii) very aggressive? Heard lotsa horror stories about them killing other tankmates
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
frontosa
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2K View Post
Are they(dovii) very aggressive? Heard lotsa horror stories about them killing other tankmates
Yes

Quote:
Actually got a really nice male Jaguar, spots and all, hoping this fish will grow really big, it's already bred, but the fry I gave away, fella killed his mate, would have to find another female to breed him.
Oooh pic pls...always loved a good jaguar. Even jaguars are not so common nowadays.
Old 05-10-2010, 03:11 AM   #7
Spakase

A Dovii as a juvenile would not be much trouble, and as they grow, as long as other fishes are bigger, food is plentiful, there is no trouble with the fish.

Through my experience with cichlids, I have found that some are very predictable, the owner call the shots. As long as the environment is set right, there is no problem. Some are less accomodative, the Cyanoguttatus genus is an eg of a fish group that is not tolerant of other fishes and attacks without care for it's own safety.

Some can cause extensive damage to other fishes, some are not equipped to do so. The Dovii is well endowed with the skill and the teeth to cause maximum damage to another fish. It may not kill it's neighbour tomorrow, but rest assured it can do so easily, and over the long term as it grows and develops muscles, it will eventually eliminate all it's tankmates.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
frontosa
Dragon

Dovii has the reputation of being the meanest. Too bad I never had the chance (nor tank) to keep them. How big is your tank Peter, for the big dovii.

My fav CA (meanest) that I have kept so far would only be the grammodes....still a bit regret giving them up....now cannot find le....
Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
cloud79

if you like aggressive fish, dovii is defnitely one of them. I had kept a juvenile one before with a group of uarus. It didnt really exhibit its aggression, probably like a lion cub with a group of elephants.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #10
courtney

I always wanted a dovii but don't have a big enough tank for one. I wish, they are incredible fish. If I had a big tank I would get one. They are incredible.