Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 24-01-2010, 12:43 AM   #41
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

oh, interesting.. if its true, it seems like most people had mistaken actived carbon as a bad media in tank..
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 10:54 AM   #42
reaverx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Update

I have decided to take a small plunge and have ordered a tank from N30. Its dimensions will be 52cmx15cmx20cm, the footprint of my bookshelf. It will be about 15 litres and so will not be too heavy for my bookshelf to support.

Since a new tank is coming and this thread is active, I've decided to do a short documentary on this setup like what I did for Sanzon Iwagumi. However, this will be much shorter since it is easier without the planting of plants and there is no need for CO2, ferts or the setup of a cannister filter.

I'm pretty excited and hyped up. I will be getting more pieces of ADA wood to fill up the extra space. I am also thinking of getting a few rocks tied with moss and blend those in with the wood, I'll see how it goes.

The current Corydoras count of five will be expended to seven or nine depending on how the scape turns out. Most likely it will be seven Corydoras as I do not want to overload the capacity, I want them to have a good, happy life.

I'm having slight problems with my current substrate, which is made out of sand. As it is so light, it tends to fly around and cloud the water in a slight haze with substrate activity from the Corydoras. I'll be looking into ADA substrate (not Amazonia) and will try to find a suitable one. If I'm not wrong, gravel is not safe for Corydoras right?

Filtration will still be the Eheim Liberty 100 although I'm so tempted to go up to Liberty 150 as I get to play with the option of carbon cartridges, I am such a sucker for filtration equipment. Has anyone have experience with the carbon and bio cartridges for Eheim Liberty? Lighting will be provided by two Arcadia 9w lamps.

I do have a mental picture of how I want the tank to look like and I hope I can pull it off. This is going to be my tank for ADA 2010 and unlike others who are starting now, I am definitely in time because of my aquascape is primarily hardscape! Haha. I'll upload the pictures as soon as the tank arrives, I do hope my Corydoras will enjoy their new home and that everyone enjoys the new ride.

This is going to be fun.
bro nice setup , Im also setting up a tank for corys , just bought the bottom sand
Old 25-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #43
ahhKiatz
Dragon

May i know wat you all use for the bottom sand? I currently using ada soil. Is it good for them?
ahhKiatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2010, 09:19 PM   #44
fishy07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhKiatz View Post
May i know wat you all use for the bottom sand? I currently using ada soil. Is it good for them?
Yea would like to know too.
Old 26-01-2010, 12:10 AM   #45
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
oh, interesting.. if its true, it seems like most people had mistaken actived carbon as a bad media in tank..
Well, activated carbon still has to be changed when its lifespan is up. So it is not one for those who do not want the extra expense of the trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
bro nice setup , Im also setting up a tank for corys , just bought the bottom sand
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhKiatz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy07 View Post
Yea would like to know too.
I have decided to get ADA Nile Sand (powder) for my new tank. However, I have yet to order it from Biotope. ADA soil is of course very nice to have, I am personally not using it, although I do have quite a lot, as I wanted a nice contrast between the substrate and wood.

Currently I am using normal sand that I bought from Petmart.
Old 26-01-2010, 06:29 PM   #46
JadeIceGreen

As recommended by some Corydoras keepers, I am feeding mine Hikari's algae wafers and carnivore tablets. I've personally used Hikari food exclusively for all my fishes (except shrimp) and I always get good results with it.

I am feeding 1 algae wafer in the evening and 3 carnivore tablets in the morning. They adore the carnivore tablets, reminds me of kids eating french fries, they simply go crazy and see who can eat the most.

Old 28-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #47
JadeIceGreen

I found out a very interesting thing a few days ago.

The PH of my tap water is horribly on the high side, its very good news for people who keep fauna that prefers high PH but very bad news for us aquascapers. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised and shocked when the PH in my tank is a low 6.2. That is the same PH that Sanzon Iwagumi had when at its infancy because Amazonia II was bringing the PH down, but after five months, the PH did swing upwards. The only conclusion I can think of is that the wood is bringing the PH down, which is very much appreciated. What is strange is that there is no tannin stain in the likes of Indian Almond leaves. Is it not the tannin stain the causes PH to drop?

I'll be monitoring PH on a daily basis, if it ever swings back upwards, I would like to minimize the swing as much as I can.

Old 30-01-2010, 11:39 AM   #48
JadeIceGreen

Update - 29/01/2010

PH is still at the excellent 6.2.
Ammonia has climbed slightly to 0.25.
Nitrate is at 0.

Except for the fact there is slight ammonia present, which I will be tackling with daily water changes, it seems that the current media option of green bio sponge and activated carbon is better than the single blue sponge.

The water has taken on a shine and is extremely clear, I am quite obsessive with having clear water, maybe that is the reason why I love filters. In this regard, I am happy.

My new tank is still in the process of being done. I've contacted ADA SG to get some Forest Sand Blanco or Nile Sand but they have yet to reply. I'll also be getting more wood, my hope is double what I have now, it will all depend on how much funds I have. I may have to delay the setting up a little as I save the necessary funds but I'll rather wait and do it the way I want than rush and come up with something I am not satisfied.

Old 30-01-2010, 12:25 PM   #49
kampfer
Dragon

Great job....hope to see the new tank set up soon. i am sure you can pull it off. The corys will love the bigger space.
kampfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #50
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kampfer View Post
Great job....hope to see the new tank set up soon. i am sure you can pull it off. The corys will love the bigger space.
They will get almost double the current tank footprint to swim around, the amount of water will be 50% more at 15 litres. I'll be getting two more Corydoras, most likely C. Sterbai as well. Do Corydoras need to be the same species to gel together?