Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 25-05-2007, 02:09 AM   #1
cichildae
Dragon

Default Plants suitable for Big cichlids

Hiz all!! Damn glad my exams are over and now back to TLC for my babies Saw some big nanas(tied to logs) when i was buying 'Bons' for my fries and i suddenly visualise my big cichlids pair wit a couple of plants in it...So i bought a slighty big one n placed it in my Red Tiger pair's tank.. However i wonder if i will see them tml night...

Thus would like to get some experiences from bros/sis of the types of suitable robust and low maintenance plants for the big fellows... Or maybe if its not even possible... Hoping to have at least one plant in the tank to make the tanks more natural

Appreciate your time reading
cichildae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 10:54 AM   #2
jack_dempsey
Dragon

Some cichlids goes well with plants & some dont. The only way to find out is through trial & error i guess.
Used to have a jack dempsey comm tank few months back. I put in some rocks & plants. The leaves are ripped off by my JDs & they are those artificial ones which are supposed to be long lasting!

I've seen some tanks with plants in them & they look good especially those apistos set ups. But now I personally prefer rocks only layout for my tank.
jack_dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
frontosa
Dragon

I like to put big nanas (tied to DW) in my cichlid tanks as they certainly add to the natural feel. These also won't get dug out.

However I always have trouble maintaining my nanas. They are supposedly very hardy and require little attention but mine always end up "rotting" away for no apparent reason.
frontosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2007, 03:57 AM   #4
Spakase

Usually people want plants in their tanks for two purposes.......decor or functional.

IMO the latter do not jive with CA.

If you want plants for decor purposes...I suggest go for silk plants.
Old 26-05-2007, 10:11 AM   #5
cichildae
Dragon

Yesterday went home n luckily the plants still in one piece ... Took a pic abit blurry but still can see the plant.. phew

The pic size too big so put in gallery hehe
cichildae is offline   Reply With Quote