Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 10-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #21
KLochhead

[QUOTE=finclk;6772807]TS sounds and writes like a foreigner.. doesn't seem local. TS, can you tell us more aobut urself?

I am TS?

I live in Alberta, Canada. I am 25, and am a huge lover of animals. Recently, I have expanded more to choose the rarer animals, as I have not much room for more, hence the arowanas.

I intend to house asian arowanas, after I gain more experience and knowledge... Those guys are a lot more money --- Couldn't imagine losing them, not to mention that any death feels like a personal failure on my part.

I would love to talk more with you guys, you appear to be quite knowledgeable about your aros, and I have much to learn from you. -- Again, thanks for all of your input so far.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
kelfoo

Unhappy

Sorry about your lost bro! I think you didn't mention what kind of fillter are you using. What is your filteration method for your tank?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #23
KLochhead

My Filter is a Hagen Aqua Clear Power Filter 70 - says that its good to 70 gallons, my tank is 55.

Is this filter not good enough? Do you think this could be the problem?

I have a Fluval 405 on my 120 gallon (Grr - Petland told me it was the largest they had and that it went up to 200 gallon... Turns out it is not even big enough for the 120)

I wonder if I should switch filters. As I said, Oscar is strong. He has spent a whole day in a bucket with only an air pump... I am sure he could last the night until I could buy another big filter.

Also... I keep reading that I should raise the temperature if my fish is sick.

Very recent development... My silver just started acting as if he might have ich. He is rubbing on stuff - few times I saw in the last hour, or so. I cannot see any spots on silver (Mercutio).

Romeo appears to suddenly have very little spots on fins. Does not really look like the classic ich that I have saw before... Almost looks like bubbles are accumulating on his fins. Possible, as he is not really moving much.

Should I treat for ich? I have a scaleless Ghost Knife... Should I remove him prior to treatment?

I am going to try feeding Romeo again... I hear that it will help keep up his metabolism, and Ghostie says he will eat the left overs

Any advice anyone has right now is really appreciated. Romeo does not appear to be getting any better.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #24
KLochhead

Okay, I just went to feed Romeo... More spots. I think it is in fact ich. I am checking to see if the yellow medicine I have helps, then I can medicate tonight (The LFS owner measured it, so hopefully it is right!)

Does anyone know if yellow medicine cures ich? I normally see a blue solution in pet stores.

Again, should I remove Ghostie - he does not appear affected?

I have no tank for him tonight, he would have to go into a very large bucket, with an air pump and maybe I can even rig my littler filter to run into the bucket. Do you think that would work? Or is he safer with the medicine?
Old 10-04-2009, 05:40 PM   #25
KLochhead

Also, I read that ich multiplies faster if temp too low.

Have turned heater up to 32 C... But I think it would only heat up to 30C at most. Should I add a second heater?
Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 AM   #26
KLochhead

Romeo died.

I really do not understand what I am doing wrong? I check my water every day, and it does not appear dirty. I do my water changes once every 4 days or so.

Was it the tiny bit of ammonia and nitrates that I detected right before doing my water change? My test says that it was very low, did not seem alarming.

I would like to own some more aros in the future, but I must understand what I did wrong, first.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #27
Weiliang
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLochhead View Post
Also, I read that ich multiplies faster if temp too low.

Have turned heater up to 32 C... But I think it would only heat up to 30C at most. Should I add a second heater?
Hi,

I am sorry for your loss.

However, Ich will complete its life cycle in a shorter period of time if the temp is higher. Do read up on it, it's a common problem faced by almost all fish keepers.

Do not fret too much on it, find out where your mistakes are, learn from them and share them with others who are in need of help in future.

Do not let your aros die in vain.

Rgds,
Weiliang
Weiliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:16 AM   #28
qwertivity
Dragon

so many questions are running past me now.

- lights, if could, should not be turned on since they stress new fishes out much more.

- what are your filter media? even if its a suitable flowrate filter, but if you have ineffective fitler medias, its pretty much, well, useless.

- water conditioners? when carrying out water changes?

-how much do you change each time? 20%? 50%? 100%?

and you just got played, no offence cos it isnt your fault. let's not talk about 7 inches, or even a feet. even adult aros arent easy to sex, esp in "a tank of a few". if he could, he wouldnt be working in a lfs - big fish corporations would be vieing for his talent.

my suggestion if you wish to get it right, or at least be assured of a better outcome, would be to get back to square one and start over. cycle your tank, get your medias right and cycled, until everything's in working order. then, you'll see your fishes better.

all the best.
qwertivity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:38 AM   #29
redbull1023

FYI bro...i m quite puzzled over hw did the LFS owner managed to sex the pair at such a young age...being the smallest in a comm tank does not mean its a female..rather it means it is not aggressive enough to fight for food thus having lesser accounts for its smallest size...being small also MIGHT mean its being bullied by the others and thus might be stressed up.IMHO this sounds more like a case of death due to bad water conditions.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:14 AM   #30
KLochhead

I normally do water changes of about 20-30%.

I do use water conditioner for each water change, in each bucket of water.

I did not allow my water to sit prior to adding it, I thought the conditioner took care of that. Is this something that I can do to ensure that the fish are healthy?

My fish died because there were nitrates in the water. I did not realize just how dangerous these would be, as it does not seem as critical with my other fish. My nitrates were at 0.2, which normally tells me it is time for a water change. This time, it should have told me that my fish was already dieing.

The LFS owner advises against water changes when my fish has already stopped eating. Do you agree? He says it may spike nitrates further, and to instead add bacteria to the tank.

The filter media is carbon, biomax and a sponge. What would you recommend? Is there a different media needed when nitrates are present?

Thank you again for all of your help, I hope that next time I will have more success.

My LFS owner has offered me a discount on some new aros once my tank is all set up and going well.

Tags
arowana, baby, eating, fin rot, sick