Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 23-01-2003, 11:06 PM   #1
candychng

Default How to setup the Atman canister filter

Hi, I just got myself a Atman EF2 canister filter. However no manual was enclosed in the packaging.

Can anyone out there help me by advising how I can get the filter to work. I have fitted all the tubes given in the package but the filter don't seem to be siphoning the water when I plugged it.
Old 23-01-2003, 11:35 PM   #2
tltan

hi,

in the first place, did u add any filter media? such as bioballs or ceramic ring, activated carbon or efhisubstrate etc..... coz atman dont usually come with them.

as for why water is not coming out, u might need to fill up the canister first after all connections by opening the top of the canister at a small hole. then u might have to suck up the water at the out tube ///yucks/// that should set everything working

good luck,.,
tltan
Old 24-01-2003, 06:58 PM   #3
candychng

redcross Filter is not siphoning

I tried what you have suggested but the filter is not siphoning from the tank and the water seems to be struggling along the tubes and after a while, it just gives up flowing along the tube.

What's wrong?
Old 24-01-2003, 07:12 PM   #4
route
Endangered Dragon

try sucking the water from the inlet and then turn off the tap. becareful not to drink the water. next screw the thingy in and open the tap.
after that plug in the power supply..
hope u know what i'm talking. lol
route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2003, 09:34 PM   #5
sasori

yup, it the same technic for external filter. U need to fill the pipe with water so that gravity can do its work to channel water down.
Just as Route says, use ur mouth suck on the inlet hose, when water flows down use ur thumb to prevent the water from splashing all over while maintaining the downward pressure. be sure not to let air in ( process is similar to draining water from tank using pipe), insert pipe back to the canister (sure will get wet) turn on power, it should work then.
Old 26-01-2003, 01:28 PM   #6
unknown

Default Re: How to setup the Atman canister filter

Quote:
Originally posted by candychng
Hi, I just got myself a Atman EF2 canister filter. However no manual was enclosed in the packaging.

Can anyone out there help me by advising how I can get the filter to work. I have fitted all the tubes given in the package but the filter don't seem to be siphoning the water when I plugged it.
another way to get it to work without sucking is to connect a hose to the inlet pipe inside the tank. Then turn on the tap and let water flow into the filter. Disconnect the hose from the inlet pipe and ur filter should be up and running.

Heh heh, personally, i would avoid sucking all these aquarium stuff less some unfortunate accident happen. Real gross if u swallow some of the water.
Old 27-01-2003, 01:57 PM   #7
Goondoo

I just got a Atman EF4 recently too. I seriously find that it is not easy to "start up" the callister. However, I happened to have a internal filter inside my tank. I connect the "IN" cable of the callister to the output valve of the filter and WOOHOOOO! watch how it runs......
Old 13-02-2003, 10:24 PM   #8
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by route
try sucking the water from the inlet and then turn off the tap. becareful not to drink the water. next screw the thingy in and open the tap.
after that plug in the power supply..
hope u know what i'm talking. lol
I have an Atman 3336. Some times I power on the unit and water starts to flow automatically. I count myself lucky when that happens. But most of the time I have suck from the OUTLET tube, and not the INLET tube. When you suck from the inlet tube, doesn't that cause the water flow to go in reserve, and if you're unlucky, poos get suck into you mouth too. Yuk! When I suck from the outlet, I'm starting the flow cycle... and at least the water that comes out are filtered.... my two cents worth.
Old 14-02-2003, 01:54 AM   #9
route
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha
I have an Atman 3336. Some times I power on the unit and water starts to flow automatically. I count myself lucky when that happens. But most of the time I have suck from the OUTLET tube, and not the INLET tube. When you suck from the inlet tube, doesn't that cause the water flow to go in reserve, and if you're unlucky, poos get suck into you mouth too. Yuk! When I suck from the outlet, I'm starting the flow cycle... and at least the water that comes out are filtered.... my two cents worth.
i didnt like the idea of sucking and thus used a vacuum cleaner got scoldin from my mum but thats better than getting those dirty stuff into my mouth which is totally gross if you got a second hand one...
route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2003, 01:38 PM   #10
dawndawn

Default Re: How to setup the Atman canister filter

Quote:
Originally posted by candychng

I've got an atman ef2 myself. It's alot more cheaper than those branded stuff and it works as well.

First of all, you need to get water into the filter. What you have to do is to attach the inlet into the tank with water. Detach the rainbar or outlet tube and use ur mouth to suck water at the outlet pipe. Then water will start to flow inside the filter and u can safety re-attached the rainbar/outlet bar. When it's full and you can see water fill up the pipe until the outlet bar, you can power on the filter to test.

There should be no noise at all. If some noise is heard, it might be due to trapped air inside the filter. You can give a few shakes to get rid of the extra airpockets inside the filter. If it doesn't work, you can off the power to the filter and get ready to open the knob at the top of the filter to add water til the whole filter is filled. Do note that some water might gush out and it's best to open it inside a pail or container.

As for filter media changes and maintainance, you just have to shut the taps before you power off the filter to trap the water in the pipes. This way, you don't have to 'suck' water to prime the filter everytime u did a filter media change. The key to the sucess in manual priming is to have the filter placed lower than the height of your tank, which I believed most of use should be doing this.

This is also wat the aunty at the LFS shop I bought the filter media has taught me.

Last edited by dawndawn; 14-02-2003 at 01:43 PM.