Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 10-12-2017, 10:07 PM   #1
wllm33
Dragon

Default any one got experience with singtel 2gbps fibre?

got offer to re-contract on the above.
anyone got this fibre and can share experience , esp problems with the 2 gpbps.
thnks
wllm33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 PM   #2
bedoklist
Dragon

But do you really need that kind of speed.
bedoklist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #3
Aro77
Dragon

even if you do upgrade to 2gbps, firstly, you will need a router which is able to broadcast at that wireless speed, secondly, even if it does, most common uses would not require anything even more than 1/20 of that speed, being 100mbps, however it does make sense if you have alot of members in the family streaming and downloading stuff all the time and currently you experience laggy internet and so, by upgrading to a 2gbps package you will have more bandwidth to go around.

personal experience is, i am on a 1gbps plan, however my router which is provided by the provider, only supports 300mbps, personal computer card only able to support 200mbps, speed test shows getting around 120 - 125 mbps, am able to stream videos, surf around etc etc, without any delay.

however, have changed the router to a one that supports 1gbps over wireless, instead of the useless stuff provided by provider.
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #4
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Can share what router can support 1gb wireless? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro77 View Post
even if you do
upgrade to 2gbps, firstly, you will need a router which is able to broadcast at that wireless speed, secondly, even if it does, most common uses would not require anything even more than 1/20 of that speed, being 100mbps, however it does make sense if you have alot of members in the family streaming and downloading stuff all the time and currently you experience laggy internet and so, by upgrading to a 2gbps package you will have more bandwidth to go around.

personal experience is, i am on a 1gbps plan, however my router which is provided by the provider, only supports 300mbps, personal computer card only able to support 200mbps, speed test shows getting around 120 - 125 mbps, am able to stream videos, surf around etc etc, without any delay.

however, have changed the router to a one that supports 1gbps over wireless, instead of the useless stuff provided by provider.
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:52 PM   #5
wllm33
Dragon

as usual singtel modem/router is not the best in town.
only don't change cos scared of the techs involved in configuration and they don't support 3rd party components.

my 1gbps is laggy as too many devices despite using the AC1900 elite (apparently their flagship model). This according to cs can support up to 1gbps.

their new one is the AC plus , which they say can support to 1600mbps, which is ok if can get half even.

my current 1gbps can give me up to 900 plus via cable connection and lowest is 30mbps despite using 3 meshes for wifi.

so this offer is packaged with 2 new meshes and abt same price as my 1gbps plan.

And they say, will definitely improve my speeds , both cabled and wifi. I can understand if my devices are not the latest (which is my problem , no choice).

Logically it should , but just want to ask opinions if this is true for those already on 2 gbps as this is new to me.

And yes, I do need the extra 1gbps if it is available, as sometimes even Youtube lags.
Old 13-12-2017, 05:18 PM   #6
ZillaEgg

The fastest wireless wift network adapter only reach 867mbps ( Very New ) on 5G network.
If u using other device or laptop i think the highest speed is 300mbps or 600 mbps only.
U need wire direct connect then able to get close to 2GB.
And also depend on the type of cable u use. Atleast a CAT6a RJ45 cable to enjoy it.
ZillaEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 06:49 PM   #7
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

2 gbps is a marketing ploy. Very few routers out there can handle that much traffic. And they aren't cheap.

Assuming you get the router sorted - this will be at least a Mikrotik Cloud Core Router, or something in that class - you will encounter bottlenecks at your PC and, whatever network devices you have connected to the switch integrated with the router.

Current readily available line rates for copper are 10/100/1000/10000. Nothing in between. I'm not going to elaborate too much on Cisco mGig since that is proprietary, and barely anyone supports it for consumer use.

Almost all consumer wired network cards out there these days support max 1Gbps - and few actually do 1Gbps in reality. To get 2Gbps support, you will need to to link aggregation between the PC and the switch. This means connecting two 1Gbps connections to your PC (assuming you network card supports this) and doing some configuration on your switch to have them talk the right language.

Being able to talk 2Gbps to the internet is generally meaningless as bottlenecks are usually upstream at the ISP internet gateway, or that of the server hosting content.

The one situation I see where this might be useful is if you do a lot of transfers between some other friends also on the same ISP.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
wllm33
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonFireSG View Post
2 gbps is a marketing ploy. Very few routers out there can handle that much traffic. And they aren't cheap.

Assuming you get the router sorted - this will be at least a Mikrotik Cloud Core Router, or something in that class - you will encounter bottlenecks at your PC and, whatever network devices you have connected to the switch integrated with the router.

Current readily available line rates for copper are 10/100/1000/10000. Nothing in between. I'm not going to elaborate too much on Cisco mGig since that is proprietary, and barely anyone supports it for consumer use.

Almost all consumer wired network cards out there these days support max 1Gbps - and few actually do 1Gbps in reality. To get 2Gbps support, you will need to to link aggregation between the PC and the switch. This means connecting two 1Gbps connections to your PC (assuming you network card supports this) and doing some configuration on your switch to have them talk the right language.

Being able to talk 2Gbps to the internet is generally meaningless as bottlenecks are usually upstream at the ISP internet gateway, or that of the server hosting content.

The one situation I see where this might be useful is if you do a lot of transfers between some other friends also on the same ISP.
thanks for this clear elaboration. I read something like this previously abt 2gbps, just couldn't piece it tog.

alast bit late cos i signed up liao.

anyway the pricing is same as my 1 gbps plan, so at worst think get same speed and bandwidth correct ?

but the 2 meshes foc I will benefit from them for wifi as my current 3 are too stretched.

Just 1 thing, if cabled , I can get abt 1 gmbps with cat 6 ?

And I can get more to share for my wifi devices ? i am satisfied if wifi can reached 100-200 mbps speed with 5 meshes ?

Also singtel AC PLUS modem, is this able to handle 2gmbps , based on your understanding of its specs ?

thanks a million
Old 14-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #9
DragonFireSG
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wllm33 View Post
thanks for this clear elaboration. I read something like this previously abt 2gbps, just couldn't piece it tog.

alast bit late cos i signed up liao.

anyway the pricing is same as my 1 gbps plan, so at worst think get same speed and bandwidth correct ?

but the 2 meshes foc I will benefit from them for wifi as my current 3 are too stretched.

Just 1 thing, if cabled , I can get abt 1 gmbps with cat 6 ?

And I can get more to share for my wifi devices ? i am satisfied if wifi can reached 100-200 mbps speed with 5 meshes ?

Also singtel AC PLUS modem, is this able to handle 2gmbps , based on your understanding of its specs ?

thanks a million
Heh if it's at the same price, and since there are freebies, just enjoy and don't worry too much about the technicalities!

I am a proponent of cabling everything you can. It will improve your wireless experience if there are less devices competing for limited wireless bandwidth.

If you can, wire up as much as you can reasonably afford. That means your desktop PCs, printers, apple TVs, smart TVs, and game consoles. This will keep your own airwaves relatively clear for your smartphones, tablets and notebook PCs.

Something many folk don't really realize is that all wireless, no matter the speed, operates at half duplex. This means that for every antenna, when one device is talking, no other device can talk. This includes device to access point (the thing with the antenna) and the access point to the device. Modern access points have multiple antennas to try to reduce the impact.

A simple analogy is this.

You have a classroom full of kids and two teachers. If a kid wants to talk to the teacher, she has to put up her hand first and the nearest teacher will point her out, and let her speak.

At any one point of time, a teacher can speak to only one kid. If all kids want to talk at the same time, the teacher may get confused, and some kids may not get a chance to talk even though they may have put up their hands before others. The kid who waves her hand around the most vigorously is likely to be picked first.

Also, imagine the noise if there are multiple teachers in the same room. It may well be that some conversations get drowned out, and have to be repeated. Now imagine that the same thing is happening in other adjacent classrooms (neighbours' wireless networks next door, above and below), and that the walls dividing the classrooms are made of wooden partitions. There will be chaos!

==

Now coming to mesh networks. They are a great thing to have now for simplicity of establishing connectivity. They, IMO are not for raw performance though. 100-200mbps should be achievable in a lightly used network. They tend to have rather weak antennas, and rely on numbers to keep coverage good.

They should work very well in a typical (non exec maisonette) HDB flat or condo due to the tendency for the developers to make the units squarish.

In larger condos or multi-floored houses, I'd personally prefer the use of old style enterprise grade APs say from Ubiquiti. These need some baseline wiring to get working, but offer far superior performance when installed correctly.
DragonFireSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #10
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Many routers nowadays can support the speed.
But whether your device can handle is another issue.
I think MacBook Pro can support WiFi speed more than 1gbps
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote