Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 07-11-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
patclay
Dragon

Best option is still glass.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #12
ren_hao

Was thinking, while the aro is still a juv, it may not be strong enough to push out the galss cover
What happens when it is like 1ft large. It might be large/powerful enough to 'push' out the glass cover.
How do you guys secure the glass cover?
ren_hao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:20 PM   #13
crazycanon68

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren_hao View Post
Was thinking, while the aro is still a juv, it may not be strong enough to push out the galss cover
What happens when it is like 1ft large. It might be large/powerful enough to 'push' out the glass cover.
I run think aro can knock off the glass cover...mine is pretty heavy...if aro knock..sure Kenya bump head
crazycanon68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #14
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
When larger it will be more stable and less jumpy since used to tank and room it is in.

Very rare to jump and dislodge covers.

Can weigh down with recycled Pep 1.5 liter soft drink bottles or hawker plastic containers filled with water.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 07:34 PM   #15
Ong88

Prof SK Ong

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew View Post
Egg crate are sharp...will cut the aro when they jump.
Egg crate will break when they jump.
Been there done that.

But those thick garden nursery shop black plastic floor crates are unbreakable. Though for aro will need to properly weight down with heavy items.

Just because it's a bad idea doesn't mean it won't be a good time.
Use imgur for your photos sharing
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m.imgur.mobile
Ong88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:52 AM   #16
ren_hao

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanon68 View Post
I run think aro can knock off the glass cover...mine is pretty heavy...if aro knock..sure Kenya bump head
I hope mine is heavy enough. I think I might be paranoid, the uncles were telling me they even cover the finger holes for their tanks, in case the juv jump out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ong88 View Post
When larger it will be more stable and less jumpy since used to tank and room it is in.

Very rare to jump and dislodge covers.

Can weigh down with recycled Pep 1.5 liter soft drink bottles or hawker plastic containers filled with water.
I think my juv jumping a little now. Just got it on Friday. Saw a few suspicious marks on it body. I am keeping the lights on 24hrs for it now, to minimize 'environment' change
Old 24-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #17
dragonhart
Dragon

juvenile aros are more jumpy....cover well and dun fill up the water to the brink hor...p

Quote:
I hope mine is heavy enough. I think I might be paranoid, the uncles were telling me they even cover the finger holes for their tanks, in case the juv jump out

I think my juv jumping a little now. Just got it on Friday. Saw a few suspicious marks on it body. I am keeping the lights on 24hrs for it now, to minimize 'environment' change
dragonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2015, 10:44 AM   #18
LauLanChu
Dragon

If you have weight got to place around and along the rim of the cover. You can be surprise this guy can 'slip' through if it is not tight.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
Gordy
Dragon

Quote:
It's better to get thicker glass covers. It also prevents you from breaking the covers when doing waterchanges or maintaining the tank when you open up the top.

I weight down my top glass covers with aquarium lights (without stand) and misc. items like bottle of pellets etc. Other than that one more thing to note is your water level. With higher water level reaching your glass cover would decrease the power of the jump of your fish.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 04:04 PM   #20
ren_hao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordy View Post
It's better to get thicker glass covers. It also prevents you from breaking the covers when doing waterchanges or maintaining the tank when you open up the top.

I weight down my top glass covers with aquarium lights (without stand) and misc. items like bottle of pellets etc. Other than that one more thing to note is your water level. With higher water level reaching your glass cover would decrease the power of the jump of your fish.
I think my covers are already quite thick, 6mm or more i think.
Higher water level reaching glass cover will decrease the jump power? I thought we should maintain a little more gap? The more gap the less power the the fish actually reach the glass?