Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 24-11-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
zadrian
Dragon

What indicators would you recommend...my budget allows 2 main testers as each costs ard $15.

There are :
1) Ammonia
2) KH
3) PH
4) Potassium
5) Nitrate
6) Others (Any I did not list).
zadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2006, 09:52 PM   #12
the_r0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zadrian View Post
What indicators would you recommend...my budget allows 2 main testers as each costs ard $15.

There are :
1) Ammonia
2) KH
3) PH
4) Potassium
5) Nitrate
6) Others (Any I did not list).
Sadly I think I will need 3.. KH, pH and Ammonia.

BUT... Ammonia is usually when there is problems or during new tank setups. pH and KH needs to be measured consistently (weekly or so). So I will recommend that you get a pH and KH and then borrow the Ammonia test kit from a friend and use it once or twice.

Maybe you can get the ammonia test check next month or so.

BTW, your test kits a pretty ex, eh? I got my KH test kit for only $10. It's AP brand.
Old 24-11-2006, 10:00 PM   #13
zadrian
Dragon

There is one test kit with 25 strips, test PH, KH and 3 other stuff but I think dun have nitrate and ammonia. Cost $30...

I have a PH tester from a friend....he did something very weird to his puffer fish + helicopter tank ....
He dripped the tester liquid into his tank...did a few times as he could not see the result clearly...

Thats how I got hold of a brand new tank 2 ft + Lamp & PH tester.
Old 24-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #14
the_r0ck

Quote:
There is one test kit with 25 strips, test PH, KH and 3 other stuff but I think dun have nitrate and ammonia. Cost $30...

I have a PH tester from a friend....he did something very weird to his puffer fish + helicopter tank ....
He dripped the tester liquid into his tank...did a few times as he could not see the result clearly...

Thats how I got hold of a brand new tank 2 ft + Lamp & PH tester.
Ha.. OMG. Well, one's misfortune turn out to be.. your fortune!

If you are tight on budget then the Master testkit (those all in one kinds) can be pretty useful for you.

Should you feel that you are serious into the hobby, I suggest you start saving up and get a pH pen instead as it is more reliable and, for any reason, has good resale value. Then after test all-in-one test kit tool finishes, you can also get a KH kit.

I honestly never got an ammonia test kit, but I do borrow it for around 6 tests till my water is cycled and I made sure it was ok for a week or so.
Old 30-11-2006, 04:19 AM   #15
zadrian
Dragon

I do not mind a PH Pen....heard its ard $80.

But what is this master test kit and where do I get it ?
The guys at the Clementi shop seems very busy and I dun wanna irritate them asking for something they have to search...

BTW, I have read but still dun understand water cycling !
I plan to start a 1.5ft tank soon...can in layman terms tell me what went wrong in my steps ?
1) wash gravel and dry at least 1/2 of them
2) mix fert with dry gravel and place in tank
3) cover fert with gravel and washed fine sand
4) add water (I use bottled distilled water, have about 30L ready)
5) put plants in (mainly hydrilla, long furry plants, moss on pieces of wood, "tao gay" like short plants on metal gauze, short plants on metal gauze that I bend to make a small bridge for shrimps or light-shy fishes & shrimps/crabs). Cannot find the thread that helps identify plants...
6) Wait a few hrs till water is clear, add dark water + salt (me a bit kiasi)
7) I would throw in a few fishes from my 1ft tank, most probably ballon pastillas (quite ex fish but cute) & a few small fishes such as mosquito and tetras
8) Fish no die after 24hrs....in goes the shrimps, crabs and almost what I can see at the shops....

The liquids & meds I have at home (*denote brand "ocean free")
1) clear water* (only when water is cloudy...after use will have a WC)
2) Salt (bought a 500g pack...should last 1yr or more the rate I using)
3) Medi blue for white spots (2 fishes died of it the day I set up my present tank....used twice and no fishes got the spots anymore)
4) dark water*

I have a whole range of plants from Grass to moss to spiky/furry long plants at my disposal. Got friends that will spare me else I can get it from the nearby aquarium.
Old 30-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #16
zadrian
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotic_chew View Post
wat kind of shrimp is taT?
Just found the name....African Giant Filter Shrimp

http://www.petshrimp.com/africanfiltershrimp.html
http://www.azgardens.com/shrimpfactory.php
Old 30-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #17
the_r0ck

A couple of things I need to check with you or remind you of.

Firstly, why do you want to mix some gravel with your base fert, and then top off with more gravel? Just put the base fert at the bottom level and then top off with gravel. It is as simple as that, no need to add in anything more.

Next, do not add salt, there is no need to. Plants generally do not fare well in waters of more than moderate salineity. If you are thinking of adding just a bit to not affect the plants, then think about about the fact that it will not help the fishes with such a small dosage anyway. Ditch the salt.

Lastly, don't add in fishes so fast. Wait a while for the tank to settle and start to cycle before you add in your fishes. Shrimps should be added in at least after a week. I add in my shrimps almost after a month.

-Calvin
Old 30-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #18
zadrian
Dragon

I mixed the fert with gravel....as instructed on the packet of fert (which BTW dissolves rather easily therefore I wash and dry the gravel).

The sand layer is to create a semi-water proofing layer.

I ass in about 1/2 teaspoon of salt to my 1ft tank. so far, only the golden tetras die one at a time...not that alarming as I only have 10 of them.

My tank's up almost 1 mth now...2nd Dec will be 1 mth and $500 away....

BTW, my 2 helocopters died.....I have only 2 of them as they are expensive suckers (literally).

When or how would I know if its time to add fishes in ? Shrimps go in 1 mth after the tank starts up or 1 mth after the fishes ?
Old 30-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #19
zadrian
Dragon

got the tester kit and a ph tester that acts like a thermometer that sticks to the side of the tank...

All normal except NO2 is a bit high
KH ok...between 6 & 10
PH is high....its either 8.4 or 8.8 the shade not here nor there !

Pls advise....will dropping a bar of soap help ?

i got the arowana salt & CO2 tablets.....
Old 30-11-2006, 11:39 PM   #20
the_r0ck

Quote:
got the tester kit and a ph tester that acts like a thermometer that sticks to the side of the tank...

All normal except NO2 is a bit high
KH ok...between 6 & 10
PH is high....its either 8.4 or 8.8 the shade not here nor there !

Pls advise....will dropping a bar of soap help ?

i got the arowana salt & CO2 tablets.....
SOAP?? Why would you want to add in soap? Never add it into the tank. Your tank's inhabitants will just die.

Anyway since your tank is already in motion then try to take recovery actions.

What type of sand do you use? I suspect it has buffering capabilities. Also, do you have Coral chips in your filter? These will cause a rise in KH and then pH.

Wait until your Nitrites begin to bottom before you attempt to add shrimps in. You can add now and pray that it will survive, and some MIGHT. But seriously, why risk it. Wait for another week or so and monitor.

Again, I will advise again adding salt.

-Calvin