Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 28-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
OMEN

Default Setting Up Shrimp Tank

Hi all, I would like to know more details on setting up a shrimp tank, may I ask what is the minimal tank size I must have in order to keep shrimps and hopefully breed them, cause having a bit of space constraint in my balcony. Also may i ask what will the equipments involved with the setup. Thanks
Old 28-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #2
alanng
Dragon

slow flowing filter.. probably fan or chiller to reduce the water temperature. if keeping crs, get ada soil to reduce the ph of the water. lighting depending on the deepness of your tank and the amount of plants in it.
alanng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 06:55 PM   #3
Quistis
Arofanatic

At least gt a 1ft tank for breeding purposes but personally i tink 2 ft is better. U can gt lapis sand or ADA soil. Filter wise i tink Eden 501 is a good choice. Usually ppl put a fan or chiller (if ur budget alllows u) to bring down the temp. Can include plants like moss which shrimps love. For lightings depends on ur tank size and the plants u would like to plant. CO2 is not a must it too depends on the plants u wan 2 plant.
Quistis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
OMEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quistis View Post
At least gt a 1ft tank for breeding purposes but personally i tink 2 ft is better. U can gt lapis sand or ADA soil. Filter wise i tink Eden 501 is a good choice. Usually ppl put a fan or chiller (if ur budget alllows u) to bring down the temp. Can include plants like moss which shrimps love. For lightings depends on ur tank size and the plants u would like to plant. CO2 is not a must it too depends on the plants u wan 2 plant.
Well if I am using a one feet tank? May I ask what sort of lighting is recommended? I see there is this usage of ADA soil, can I use pacific sand instead. How do I introduce a fan to the setup cause chiller is out of my budget? Thanks
Old 28-11-2006, 07:28 PM   #5
Quistis
Arofanatic

nt reali sure can use pacific sand but another alternative is lapis sand which is alot cheaper dan ADA soil. For fans u can DIY(cheaper) or gt from aquarium shops and can simply just clip on to the tank. Depending on the types of plants and whether u wana introduce CO2. I personally tink 13 watts is okay if u juz grow moss without CO2.
Quistis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2006, 09:31 PM   #6
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEN View Post
Well if I am using a one feet tank? May I ask what sort of lighting is recommended? I see there is this usage of ADA soil, can I use pacific sand instead. How do I introduce a fan to the setup cause chiller is out of my budget? Thanks
Pacific sand is what type of sand? If it does not affect the pH of the water should be okay. Just get those fans from lfs and attached onto the tank can liao, but the fan must position to blow towards the surface of the water.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 09:05 AM   #7
chorkeat
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quistis View Post
Filter wise i tink Eden 501 is a good choice.
Is the Eden 501 suitable for a 2ft tank?
chorkeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #8
eeeeemo

i feel dat eden 501 is good enough for one feet only...
been using eheim 2211 and it is the same as eden.. feel tht it can only filter a 1ft properly.... it definitely is too weak for 2ft...
at least get a 2213..
Old 08-12-2006, 03:40 AM   #9
retro1983

for the lights, mayb get the litres of water * 0.5 and you get the numbers of watts needed for your tank.

Hear say from my friendly LFS...
Old 09-12-2006, 01:51 AM   #10
AAmos

can we have the tank without chillers?