Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #71
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli View Post
I've not seen a Minister or MP take out his / her wallet...or I've not seen their wallet before. Any photos or videos ever shown that?
I wonder how much money they put in their wallet?
At least that means you seen them around la. I never once seen any MPs in the estate nor other estate.

The only MP that I seen really staying is LTK. It was at a temple dinner. He came half way (MPS that day) and told the ushers not to announce. He stayed throughout the whole dinner, till he was the LAST guest to leave. No airs, very approachable. Anyone who goes up to him with a glass of beer, he will drink half glass (good practice).

Any PAP MP does such? Yes la.... Ushers will announce, ask people to stand to welcome such MP (they are servants to the people, yet we stand for them? NO WAY), and they leave after 1 dish. So 'atas' so 'dao' so high handed. Are they Royals or what?
Old 12-08-2015, 11:29 AM   #72
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
At least that means you seen them around la. I never once seen any MPs in the estate nor other estate.

The only MP that I seen really staying is LTK. It was at a temple dinner. He came half way (MPS that day) and told the ushers not to announce. He stayed throughout the whole dinner, till he was the LAST guest to leave. No airs, very approachable. Anyone who goes up to him with a glass of beer, he will drink half glass (good practice).

Any PAP MP does such? Yes la.... Ushers will announce, ask people to stand to welcome such MP (they are servants to the people, yet we stand for them? NO WAY), and they leave after 1 dish. So 'atas' so 'dao' so high handed. Are they Royals or what?
I onli seen Rambutan when he came to door to door before election, rest are at events. On TV news, never seen the rest with wallets. They eat for free I think.

And every year National Day Dinner at each place, residents paid for their share and not the MPs give a treat to the resident? Why? Shouldn't the MPs thank the residents for their year's effort in contribution to the nation?

Last edited by Guppies Onli; 12-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:36 AM   #73
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli View Post
I onli seen Rambutan when he came to door to door before election, rest are at events. On TV news, never seen the rest with wallets. They eat for free I think.

And every year National Day Dinner at each place, residents paid for their share and not the MPs give a treat to the resident? Why? Shouldn't the MPs thank the residents for their year's effort in contribution to the nation?
So they are seen a few times after all. Wait ah, didn't 1 MP from Tampines talked abt what rice at $2.50 sometime back? They did pay I think, just that they lost touch with the ground. Too aloof.

Paying to attend events is needed. Else too many ppl attend, who fund it? Also, it will be hard to order food due to uncertainty of attendees. Even if they say need to pre-register, who really knows? Remember there was a recent free meal thingy and many who went were turned away?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:06 PM   #74
KAO LUO
Endangered Dragon

if opposition no elected........... govt wont pay gst $ .. pub bill U save no give to Singaporean ,,,,,,,,

if opposition elected........... govt give more $$ more U save pub bill ... and low income to sporean ........
Old 12-08-2015, 12:19 PM   #75
Heuer
Dragon

Wong Kan Seng, Zainudin Nordin, Hri Kumar Nair will not contest upcoming GE

http://m.todayonline.com/singapore/p...-toa-payoh-grc
Old 12-08-2015, 12:24 PM   #76
jungle
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardg View Post
Dont see him as having done a good job.
Always behind the game.
Always trying to find out the "root" cause of the breakdown.
The root cause is he (LTA).
Didnt spec the tender well enough.
Didnt know how to spec the preventive maintenance.
Sleepers rot also dont know.
Now insulation rot also dont know.
Clearly LTA didnt know well enough to spec the tender for the operator.
I don't think LTA should be blame, it is the operators that lacking in maintenance
Old 12-08-2015, 12:27 PM   #77
globalcookie
Dragon

Analysts divided on whether Lui’s exit would help PAP at GE
By Joy Fang, TODAY
POSTED: 12 Aug 2015 06:54 UPDATED: 12 Aug 2015 09:40

SINGAPORE: Political analysts on Tuesday (Aug 11) were surprised not just by the announcement of Transport Minister Lui Tuck Yew’s departure but also its timing, given that the polls could be just weeks away.

Given the People’s Action Party’s reputation for meticulous planning and leaving few things to chance, the move to make public Mr Lui’s decision to step down before the polls must have been carefully thought through, the analysts added. They were, however, divided on whether it would benefit the ruling party at the polls.

While Mr Lui’s departure could be perceived as the Government being accountable for transport problems, it could also be seen as an individual unfairly carrying the can for what should be a collective responsibility, they said.

Singapore Management University law don Eugene Tan noted that transport - which was a hot topic in the 2011 General Election (GE) - could again be a lightning rod in the coming elections. Mr Lui’s stepping down before the polls would “uncomplicate matters”, he said. “What troubles me is whether a precedent has been set on Ministers taking personal responsibility notwithstanding the principle of the Cabinet’s collective responsibility. I find it rather odd and worrying that the Transport Minister seems to have taken the rap personally. I don’t think anyone can say that he has not been equal to the task ... It’s not for want of trying (by Mr Lui),” he said.

National University of Singapore political scientist Bilveer Singh said he was rather taken aback by the move. “We do not stand down ministers before a GE,” he said, also noting that for the PAP, “it is not a question of whether a member ... decides where and when to contest (elections). It is decided by a party machinery”.

Institute of Policy Studies senior research fellow Gillian Koh said Mr Lui has had “a difficult run”, given that he had inherited some of the problems plaguing public transportation - a similar situation faced by his predecessor Mr Raymond Lim.

Mr Lim, who served one term as Transport Minister, stepped down from the Cabinet after the 2011 GE. He remains a Member of Parliament, but is also likely to retire from politics before the coming GE.

Dr Koh said: “In terms of policy, there has been no effort spared to address the issues at the Ministry and Government level, and at the operational level, transport companies have also come under very strict scrutiny by the Land Transport Authority. Politically though, voters might recognise that a price has been paid (with Mr Lui stepping down).”

Mr Lui’s engineering background has been seen by some as an advantage in his role. As to who among the present crop of office holders - or potential new faces - may take over the role, Dr Koh said: “The reforms are there to be implemented, but at this stage it will still have to be someone with a stout heart to take up such a challenging portfolio (that) affects millions of Singaporeans every day.”

Assoc Prof Tan added: “What is really needed now is a Minister who is prepared to take on a portfolio which is now regarded very much as a poisoned chalice. It could be a career-limiting move. Hopefully there will be someone who is willing and bold enough to step up to the challenge.”

Read the original TODAY report here.

-TODAY/av

----------------

Maybe it's because if he is re-elected, he will still helm the Transport Ministry, which he is unwilling to?
Old 12-08-2015, 12:36 PM   #78
globalcookie
Dragon

PAP names 3 new candidates for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC
POSTED: 12 Aug 2015 10:37 UPDATED: 12 Aug 2015 11:11

SINGAPORE: The People’s Action Party (PAP) officially introduced its first batch of new candidates for the coming General Election (GE) on Wednesday morning (Aug 12).

Joining the five-member Group Representation Constituency (GRC) are Mr Chee Hong Tat, Mr Chong Kee Hiong and Mr Saktiandi Supaat, who were unveiled at a coffeeshop at Toa Payoh Central.

On the venue of the unveiling, Dr Ng Eng Hen said: "It reflects our message that this is what elections are about. This is as heartland as heartland goes. Toa Payoh is the oldest estate. We wanted to do (this unveiling) in the heartlands to put across the message that elections are about choosing MPs who can take care of your town."

The five PAP candidates for Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC will be:

Dr Ng Eng Hen, 56, Defence Minister

Dr Ng is the current Defence Minister as well as the Leader of the House in Parliament. He previously served as the Manpower Minister from 2004 to 2008, and Education Minister from 2008 to 2011. He has been a Member of Parliament (MP) with the Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC since 2001.

Mrs Josephine Teo, 47, Senior Minister of State for Transport and Finance

Mrs Teo is the Senior Minister of State at the Ministry of Finance and the Ministry of Transport. She has been an MP with the Bishan Toa-Payoh GRC since 2006.

Mr Chee Hong Tat, 41, former Second Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Trade and Industry

Mr Chee, a resident of Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC, is married with four children. He joined the Civil Service in 1998 and worked in the Ministry of Home Affairs, Finance, Transport and Education, before being appointed as Principal Private Secretary to Mr Lee Kuan Yew in 2008. He became Chief Executive of the Energy Market Authority in 2011, and was appointed Second Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Trade and Industry in 2014.

"I am a resident of Bishan-Toa Payoh, so I'm very happy that the Prime Minister has decided to field me here. I have a very fond attachment to this place. One of my priorities is to meet as many residents as I can through house, market visits. I want to hear from residents how we can improve their living environment, improve their lives, for both HDB and private estates," he said.

"We have quite a significant elderly population. Residents tell me they want more walkways to make it more convenient for them, and more green spaces.

“I have much to learn but I will work very hard and do my best to serve my residents. Together, we can build a stronger Singapore and a better future for all of us and our children."

Speaking in dialect, he added: "If you have a job to do, do it well."

Mr Chong Kee Hiong, 49, Chief Executive Officer, OUE Hospitality Trust

Prior to joining OUE Hospitality, Mr Chong was the CEO of The Ascott from February 2012 to May 2013 and CEO of Ascott Residence Trust Management from 2005 to February 2012. From May 2001 to September 2004, he was with Raffles Holdings as their chief financial officer.

Married with four school-going children, Mr Chong is also the vice-chairman of the Bishan East CCC and chairman of NTUC Foodfare.

“We should also bear in mind that policies are not one-size-fits-all but we must be inclusive. By paying attention to the ground, we can then ensure that help reaches those who need it so that everyone has a fair chance of succeeding and no one is left behind," he said.

"The last two years have given me plenty of opportunities to interact with residents. I'm a Bishan East resident myself."

On taking over Mr Wong Kan Seng's ward in Toa Payoh, Mr Chong said he had "big shoes to fill".

Mr Saktiandi Supaat, 41, Head of Foreign Exchange Research, Maybank

Mr Saktiandi is the Executive Vice President and Head of the FX Research team in Global Markets, Global Banking of Maybank. Prior to joining the private sector in 2010, he was a Lead Economist in the Economic Policy Department of the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

Married with three young children, Mr Saktiandi is the chairman of the Malay/Muslim Community Leaders’ Forum Labs Steering Committee, and is currently a board member in SPRING and the Civil Service College.

“No man is an island. We are all part of a whole. By coming together, especially in difficult times, we will become stronger against challenges and adversity. We need to live in that gotong-royong spirit and be selfless in lifting the community in both good times and turbulent ones," he said.

On why he decided to stand for elections, Mr Saktiandi, who grew up in a kampung, said: "I've seen Singapore progress since my childhood. I believe in the Singapore dream."

He added that his years helping out at the grassroots level showed him that there are "people who fell between the cracks".

"The role of the dedicated MP has three parts: Raising and debating issues at the national level; fixing issues at the municipal level; and keeping alive the community spirit within Bishan-Toa Payoh."

DEPARTING CANDIDATES

The three new candidates will replace lawyer Hri Kumar Nair, Singapore football chief Zainudin Nordin and former Deputy Prime Minister Wong Kan Seng, who are stepping down as MPs. All were present at the unveiling of the new candidates on Wednesday morning.

"Bishan-Toa Payoh will always have a place in my heart," said Mr Wong, who entered Parliament in 1988 as part of a 3-member GRC team that scored a walkover in what was then known as Toa Payoh GRC.

"I've been with Bishan-Toa Payoh since 2001. It's been a wonderful and enriching experience serving the residents. That brings me the most satisfaction and joy. But we know that as a party we must continue to be relevant to the people. I requested not to stand at the next GE because the time is right for me to focus on my family. It's been a long time," said Mr Zainudin.

Mr Hri Kumar said he grew up in Toa Payoh, having lived in the estate at the age of 10. "I'm delighted to serve in Thomson-Toa Payoh in particular. During my house visits I still run into many schoolmates and close friends," he said.

"Politics is all about grassroots. It's really all about what happens on the ground, and how to help make people's lives better. What people are most interested in is about having a better home, a better life for themselves, and leaving behind something for their children."

"GOOD POLITICS"

This leaves Dr Ng and Mrs Teo as the only remaining members of the PAP team which contested Bishan-Toa Payoh at the 2011 GE. The PAP won 56.93 per cent of the vote against a Singapore People’s Party (SPP) outfit comprising Mr Chiam See Tong, Mr Lee Yeong Wee, Mr Wilfred Leung, Mr Hamim Aliyas and Mr Benjamin Pwee.

For the coming elections, the Opposition intends to send a joint team made up of the SPP - led by Mr Chiam’s wife Lina - and Mr Pwee’s Democratic Progressive Party.

Wednesday’s announcement kicks off the PAP’s unveiling of both new and retiring candidates over the next two weeks.

In a break from tradition, PAP said it will announce its entire slate of candidates for the next General Election over the coming fortnight, before the National Day Rally takes place on Aug 23, according to Dr Ng.

On Wednesday, the PAP Organising Secretary said the choice to unveil the candidates early was "good politics". He added: "It puts Singaporeans at the centre of the elections."

- CNA/cy

-------------

Unveiling in coffeeshop means can take care of the town meh? Than why not PMO move to AMK and PM work in ordinary office at void decks?

Speak in dialect, this one LTK scores. He has always been the one speaking in dialect back in the times when PAP are all seemingly more educated vs a teochew kia speaking in dialect.

With 3 existing ones gone, only 2 remains. Bishan-TPY is a good ground to watch, Opposition got chance. The win in last GE wasn't sweeping.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #79
vincent2982
Dragon

WKS is retired. The other 2 Zainudin Nordin, Hri Kumar Nair join in politic not very long. Must be cannot profit for gov so ask to go. lol Those can make $ 1 still will stay.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:22 PM   #80
richardg
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungle View Post
I don't think LTA should be blame, it is the operators that lacking in maintenance
Operators will only do what is in the tender specs
in this case for preventive maintenance.
If not in spec, they wont do, even if insulation is rotting away
they wont do.

If written in specs, PM reports need to be submitted and checked.

LTA failed to spec it.
They may not have that knowledge
They probably also dont know they dont know
and probably dont care that they may not know

Its LTA's responsibility.
Closed Thread