Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 28-09-2006, 10:15 PM   #31
Rooney10

as far as I know, sbd has always been incurable for my goldfishies no matter if i tried curing them by not feeding or just feeding peas.

BUT recently, when i popped by Mainland, I saw a bottle of medication for CURING swimbladder disease. As i havent used it before, I wouldnt know how useful it is. I remember the price being ~$6. Further information and pics of the bottle can be seen from Mainland's website.
Old 28-09-2006, 10:56 PM   #32
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooney10 View Post
as far as I know, sbd has always been incurable for my goldfishies no matter if i tried curing them by not feeding or just feeding peas.

BUT recently, when i popped by Mainland, I saw a bottle of medication for CURING swimbladder disease. As i havent used it before, I wouldnt know how useful it is. I remember the price being ~$6. Further information and pics of the bottle can be seen from Mainland's website.
No need medication lah. Whenever you see your fish has any sign of SBD (flipping, struggling during swimming, floating or sinking), quickly remove it to a shallow tub (not more then half ft). Add 0.5% of salt with water change daily till it recovers. You have to do this before the stomach start deforming. Successfully cured a few but beware of relaspe (some GF are more genetically prone).
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #33
Rooney10

yeah i understand. Once the goldfish has been hit with the SBD once, definitely have to change its normal diet, more to those of peas and lettuce. I think using salt + not feeding can help it to recover too, but havent had any success before though because always only tried treating it when the disease was in its later stages.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:58 AM   #34
Dragon-Fish

swimbladder is caused by traped wind it can be cured but the fish will always have troble swimming even wen the desies is cured the fish will live hapley on his side but its anoying to watch
Old 08-10-2006, 04:14 PM   #35
android123

seems like this swim bladder problem is infectious, my GF got it one after the other, tried salt water and swimbladder cure medication..... but so far no luck, now one of my GF is floating upside now and the other is sinking at the bottom.......... sigh....
Old 08-10-2006, 05:51 PM   #36
LauLanChu
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by android123 View Post
seems like this swim bladder problem is infectious, my GF got it one after the other, tried salt water and swimbladder cure medication..... but so far no luck, now one of my GF is floating upside now and the other is sinking at the bottom.......... sigh....
Though it may be due to upkeeping, SBD is sometimes intrinsic genetic problem...no matter how you do, it will still get SBD when it ages. Did you notice some fishes are more hardy and some are very prone

Due to X-breeding, globoid body are created (e.g. ranchu, lionhead) and these breeds are very prone to SBD. On the other hand, those of conventional type (e.g. comet, wakin..) with longish body have more resistance against this problem.

Therefore, problem is there and how to select a GF without this hidden problem is very important. So observe how the fish swims for any slight sign of SBD before you buy . You may even try to stir the water to observe how the fish swim against the current. I am not able to tell you exactly how to see, but a very simple principle is whether the fish can swim straight.
This is very important thing to do to avoid future headache.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 12:50 AM   #37
android123

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Though it may be due to upkeeping, SBD is sometimes intrinsic genetic problem...no matter how you do, it will still get SBD when it ages. Did you notice some fishes are more hardy and some are very prone

Due to X-breeding, globoid body are created (e.g. ranchu, lionhead) and these breeds are very prone to SBD. On the other hand, those of conventional type (e.g. comet, wakin..) with longish body have more resistance against this problem.

Therefore, problem is there and how to select a GF without this hidden problem is very important. So observe how the fish swims for any slight sign of SBD before you buy . You may even try to stir the water to observe how the fish swim against the current. I am not able to tell you exactly how to see, but a very simple principle is whether the fish can swim straight.
This is very important thing to do to avoid future headache.

hmmm... maybe they are more prone to dieseases when they age... i have been keeping these GF for abt one year... from small rear until big big then got SBD and guess wat, the GF sinking at the bottom is a lionhead......
Old 20-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #38
DeviLFisH

same bro

I got two always stink in the bottom one

when feeding time they will swim up to eat than down again

another one is always float upside down

overall funny is they are all healthy till now still survive .

Quote:
Originally Posted by android123 View Post
Old 02-04-2007, 10:08 PM   #39
gerrard8

i have 1fish always struggle to grab food from the bottom of the tank..he is always pulled back everytime he tries to reach the bottom..is this SBP?anyone noes?
Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 AM   #40
peacockbasss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King View Post
Have you tried feeding pea, a common recommendation in many of the forums.
may i know whether the peas u all mention are just normal peas from NTUC