Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 24-10-2005, 01:22 AM   #51
macross

My cup is those used to measure and cook rice one lor....1 cup after cook get 2 bowls of rice.

I just poured everything away and re-setup again. Oh, when I pour the water out, it smells like beer...is it normal? Also the rice turns white but still hard hard... normal?
Old 24-10-2005, 01:50 AM   #52
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by macross
My cup is those used to measure and cook rice one lor....1 cup after cook get 2 bowls of rice.

I just poured everything away and re-setup again. Oh, when I pour the water out, it smells like beer...is it normal? Also the rice turns white but still hard hard... normal?
smell like beer is correct...
Ah_ZhaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2005, 01:59 AM   #53
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

This is taught by bro dragonfly_sg to me.

For one 1.5 litre bottle.

About 1 litre water.
About 400ml of sugar.
Half teaspoon of Baking Soda.
I teaspoon of Baking Yeast.

Instructions.
Pour sugar in bottle. Fill water until water level reaches 6" from the opening of the bottle. Shake the solution until all sugar is dissolve. Drop the 1/2 spoon of BS in the solution and shake well. Find a little container and dissolve the spoonful of yeast in alittle water. When the yeast become a cream colour liquid (it stinks) pour it into the solution. The should still be 6" to 5" of space to the top of the bottle, do not leave too little space because the mixutre will foam after awhile and will flow into the tank if there is not enough space. Anyway after you pour in the yeast, it will stay at the top layer of the solution. Which mean you have a top layer of cream colour liquid and a bottom layer of clear sugar liquid. I don't mix them. I leave them like that and cover the cap of the bottle. The yeast will start to consume the suagr and produce CO2 after about an hour.

You can get sugar, Baking Soda (Kings Brand), and Yeast ( also Kings Brand normally just beside the BS ) in NTUC fairprice.

Hopes this helps.
Cheers
Dennis

I followed his instructions and setup a DIY co2 system for my 1 feet tank. After rescaping, my E. tennulus and java fern are pearling now...my algae growth seems to be stunted..

I use exactly 1 SAF green cup (approximately= 400 ml) of sugar for the setup only.
Old 24-10-2005, 11:51 AM   #54
[C]irRuS

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ah_ZhaN
This is taught by bro dragonfly_sg to me.

For one 1.5 litre bottle.

About 1 litre water.
About 400ml of sugar.
Half teaspoon of Baking Soda.
I teaspoon of Baking Yeast.

Instructions.
Pour sugar in bottle. Fill water until water level reaches 6" from the opening of the bottle. Shake the solution until all sugar is dissolve. Drop the 1/2 spoon of BS in the solution and shake well. Find a little container and dissolve the spoonful of yeast in alittle water. When the yeast become a cream colour liquid (it stinks) pour it into the solution. The should still be 6" to 5" of space to the top of the bottle, do not leave too little space because the mixutre will foam after awhile and will flow into the tank if there is not enough space. Anyway after you pour in the yeast, it will stay at the top layer of the solution. Which mean you have a top layer of cream colour liquid and a bottom layer of clear sugar liquid. I don't mix them. I leave them like that and cover the cap of the bottle. The yeast will start to consume the suagr and produce CO2 after about an hour.

You can get sugar, Baking Soda (Kings Brand), and Yeast ( also Kings Brand normally just beside the BS ) in NTUC fairprice.

Hopes this helps.
Cheers
Dennis

I followed his instructions and setup a DIY co2 system for my 1 feet tank. After rescaping, my E. tennulus and java fern are pearling now...my algae growth seems to be stunted..

I use exactly 1 SAF green cup (approximately= 400 ml) of sugar for the setup only.
hi bro,
how long does your formula last???
I have been experimenting because i wana do a diy co2 that can last 3 to 4 weeks hehe
Old 24-10-2005, 07:51 PM   #55
ryzcris

Quote:
Originally Posted by [C]irRuS
hi bro,
I have been experimenting because i wana do a diy co2 that can last 3 to 4 weeks hehe

Refer to my earlier posts... they last up to 4 weeks so far. But towards the end, bubbling gets less intense. Intense bubbling will last at least two weeks.

Also frankly I'm not so sure about the role of baking soda. Cuz yeast ferments sugars to form CO2 and alcohol under anaerobic conditions. Baking soda is essentially sodium bicarbonate and reacts with acids to form CO2. If no acid is formed in the process, baking soda should not be able to contribute to the CO2 production. Unless the sodium bicarbonate is used for its buffering capacity which I doubt has any function in this context. Any bros like to clarify on this?

By the way sugar if too concentrated will also inhibit the growth of yeast and hence will not work. It is thus very difficult to put alot of sugars and expectthe solution to last for very long cuz CO2 probably won't even appear due to it "preservative" effect on the yeast which will stay in dormant form and not grow at all. Find the optimum concentration for yeast to grow and not overdose the solution with sugar such that it reaches inhibiroty concentrations. Alternatively use sugar alternatives like starch etc. which the yeast can break down overtime and utilise the sugars released in a time release fashion.

Another inhibiting factor over time may be the accumulation of alcohol in the solution so frankly there is so far no combination I know of which can last more than 1 month in a 1.5 litre bottle. Trial and error to get the best that works for you.

*just adding my two cents worth*
Old 24-10-2005, 08:08 PM   #56
[C]irRuS

Talking

hi ryzcris,
we can keep this thread always alive with all our experiment results hehe
since the day i saw your formula...
i have also been experimenting alot to get optimum result...
smthing that will give intense bubbling and can last for a mth hehe...
but it is an "ambition" at the moment...
hope that hardwork can make my dram come true hehe
Old 24-10-2005, 08:46 PM   #57
ryzcris

Hahahaa.... ya~ hopefully will benefit everyone...
Old 25-10-2005, 12:43 AM   #58
Ah_ZhaN
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by [C]irRuS
hi bro,
so far i always replace every weeks...never really test how long can last..
On the 14th day i remake in the day so when evening time lights on can bubble in time..of cos, everytime must squeeze the bottle to increase pressure for the co2 to reach out of the diffuser..
Old 25-10-2005, 02:00 AM   #59
ryzcris

Hahaha... i guess i must be one of the lazy ones then... see until bubble no strength come out liao then only satisfied to change one... wish i had more discipline... even top up tank water also always drag...
Old 25-10-2005, 02:20 AM   #60
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzcris
Also frankly I'm not so sure about the role of baking soda. Cuz yeast ferments sugars to form CO2 and alcohol under anaerobic conditions. Baking soda is essentially sodium bicarbonate and reacts with acids to form CO2. If no acid is formed in the process, baking soda should not be able to contribute to the CO2 production. Unless the sodium bicarbonate is used for its buffering capacity which I doubt has any function in this context. Any bros like to clarify on this?
The BS are not intended for CO2 production. The intention is to buffer the solution as I was told the it's possible for the solution get acidic once fermentation starts. I have never done a pH test on my solution, well the smell really doesn't encourage it but it's something that works for me, so I didn't bother to change it. Maybe I will do a test after this I am also not sure if acidic condition inhibit the yeast from multiplying maybe someone who have tried it can advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzcris
Another inhibiting factor over time may be the accumulation of alcohol in the solution so frankly there is so far no combination I know of which can last more than 1 month in a 1.5 litre bottle. Trial and error to get the best that works for you.
The alcohol content IMHO is the biggest contributor to reduction of CO2 production. Then again this is also guess work. So far my generator normally supplys 2 weeks of decent CO2, I use a wooden block and those creamic defusor so once CO2 pressure drops it becomes very obvious. Reading thru many write-up on this subject on the web, I get many conflicting indicators. I guess no one has a perfect solution (formula) yet. What work for someone might fail badly for others, there are too many variables involve, just take tap water for instance, pH, kH, gH, and chemical values ranges even across a small Singapore. I guess as you said, we use have to stick with what works best for each of us.