Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 08-11-2008, 01:29 AM   #1
JadeIceGreen

Default Eheim 2211 for a 10 litres tank?

Hey Guys.. I have a unscaped 10 litres tank atm.. I am quite fed up with HOF and the smallest eheim external is a 2211 rated at 300 litres per hour.
I do intend to cover the inlet with a sponge to prevent shrimplets from getting sucked up. Will that slow down the flow rate and by how much?

Is it too strong? Your views please.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #2
antitrust

bro, that is damn fierce for a 10 litres tank. i would think go for the boyu ef-05 if i were you
Old 08-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
ghim

10L with 2211. Way overkill ba.

Or you can study those LFS with nano tanks on display. See how they use pumps instead of HOF.

Always has this idea toying on my head. Create a rainbar facing inwards all round the tank. Choke up the inlet with sponge. Maybe this can work. But I cant really do diy well.

Like wat antitrust recommend.Boyu ef-05 will be the best bet.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM   #4
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by antitrust View Post
bro, that is damn fierce for a 10 litres tank. i would think go for the boyu ef-05 if i were you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghim View Post
10L with 2211. Way overkill ba.

Or you can study those LFS with nano tanks on display. See how they use pumps instead of HOF.

Always has this idea toying on my head. Create a rainbar facing inwards all round the tank. Choke up the inlet with sponge. Maybe this can work. But I cant really do diy well.

Like wat antitrust recommend.Boyu ef-05 will be the best bet.
Boyu ef-05 is not very reliable right? I scared of Boyu now leh, my Boyu HOF leaked and it is super noisy.
Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
Anthen
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Hey Guys.. I have a unscaped 10 litres tank atm.. I am quite fed up with HOF and the smallest eheim external is a 2211 rated at 300 litres per hour.
I do intend to cover the inlet with a sponge to prevent shrimplets from getting sucked up. Will that slow down the flow rate and by how much?

Is it too strong? Your views please.

Thanks!
No problem using eheim 2211, bro. Is always better to overfilter rather than underfilter. There are lots of methods to reduce the outflow. One of the ways as you had mentioned is to use sponge at the inlet, this will reduced the outflow. If the flow is still very strong, try packing up the canister with lots of medias and using rainbar as outlet, the outflow of the water will definitely reduced greatly. Never adjust the adjustable taps of the canister(if there is), for long term, the parts will spolit earlier compared to normal usage. Currently I'm using 750l/hr canister for 1.5ft tank and I find it alright.

Once every month, it is advisable to take out the sponge at inlet and squeeze the dirt/waste stuck in the sponge using tank water. Sponge will get choked over long period of use and will affect the outflow thus reduced the lifespan of canister.. All the best in shrimp keeping..
Anthen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #6
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthen View Post
No problem using eheim 2211, bro. Is always better to overfilter rather than underfilter. There are lots of methods to reduce the outflow. One of the ways as you had mentioned is to use sponge at the inlet, this will reduced the outflow. If the flow is still very strong, try packing up the canister with lots of medias and using rainbar as outlet, the outflow of the water will definitely reduced greatly. Never adjust the adjustable taps of the canister(if there is), for long term, the parts will spolit earlier compared to normal usage. Currently I'm using 750l/hr canister for 1.5ft tank and I find it alright.

Once every month, it is advisable to take out the sponge at inlet and squeeze the dirt/waste stuck in the sponge using tank water. Sponge will get choked over long period of use and will affect the outflow thus reduced the lifespan of canister.. All the best in shrimp keeping..
Thanks Bro!

I will take your suggestion and update everyone here when I have this tank set up.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
bo_cheng_hoo

Quote:
Thanks Bro!

I will take your suggestion and update everyone here when I have this tank set up.
hi bro JadeIceGreen, i newbe in setup a new tank. i also using eheim 2211 for my 30l / 1 ft tank. i jus bought 2 days ago. i found it too strong for my tank. what the method you using? can pm me.
thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:23 AM   #8
just_2_of_us
Arofanatic

Hey bro bo_cheng_hoo, may i know where did you get your eheim 2211? i'm looking for it. will appreciate your answer.
just_2_of_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 03:41 AM   #9
Panut

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_2_of_us View Post
Hey bro bo_cheng_hoo, may i know where did you get your eheim 2211? i'm looking for it. will appreciate your answer.
Check out NA.

NA = Nature Aquarium. Upper thomson
Old 09-02-2009, 11:47 AM   #10
Sinubux

Quote:
Thanks Bro!

Hey JadeIceGreen, you may want to consider linking your inflow source to an undergravel filtering system so that your shrimps if want to be sucked into the filter, may need to pass through the substrate media first. I guess this method is more efficient than putting a sponge cos the sponge may spoil the overall presentation of your tank.

Sinubux <=== Am a perfectionist, little things not in place will irritate the shit in me.