Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
ghim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_cheng_hoo View Post
hi bro JadeIceGreen, i newbe in setup a new tank. i also using eheim 2211 for my 30l / 1 ft tank. i jus bought 2 days ago. i found it too strong for my tank. what the method you using? can pm me.
thanks in advance.
If you read his thead on his new scape, he has already upgraded to 2213

Slap my own face first. After months of disbelieve in using a canister filter for a small tank. I ended up buy a 2211 for my 30cm cube tank. The strong current killed 1 of my oto( died of exhaustion) with a day. I am using a lily pipe at the current moment.

There are a few methods for slowdown the flow:

1. Face the outlet against the wall.
2. If you are injecting CO2, use a CO2 reactor(internal or external)
3. Lily pipe
4. If you are connecting it a chiller, this will reduce the flow.(JadeIceGreen is using a chiller)
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinubux View Post
Hey JadeIceGreen, you may want to consider linking your inflow source to an undergravel filtering system so that your shrimps if want to be sucked into the filter, may need to pass through the substrate media first. I guess this method is more efficient than putting a sponge cos the sponge may spoil the overall presentation of your tank.

Sinubux <=== Am a perfectionist, little things not in place will irritate the shit in me.
could also use a sponge pre-filter at the inlet. i thot they dun look too bad if u get a decent looking one.

think there's another issue, which is the outlet... the rain bar may still cause quite a bit of current in a small tank. suggest to point it inwards so it hits the wall of the tank rather than outwards or downwards where it hits the water direct.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:22 AM   #13
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghim View Post
If you read his thead on his new scape, he has already upgraded to 2213

Slap my own face first. After months of disbelieve in using a canister filter for a small tank. I ended up buy a 2211 for my 30cm cube tank. The strong current killed 1 of my oto( died of exhaustion) with a day. I am using a lily pipe at the current moment.

There are a few methods for slowdown the flow:

1. Face the outlet against the wall.
2. If you are injecting CO2, use a CO2 reactor(internal or external)
3. Lily pipe
4. If you are connecting it a chiller, this will reduce the flow.(JadeIceGreen is using a chiller)
Wow, quite an old thread.
This was initially for a 10L tank, my current tank is 20L and like Bro Ghim says, I am running a 2213 on my 20L. And as he found out, a lily pipe is the best way to reduce flow.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM   #14
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinubux View Post
Hey JadeIceGreen, you may want to consider linking your inflow source to an undergravel filtering system so that your shrimps if want to be sucked into the filter, may need to pass through the substrate media first. I guess this method is more efficient than putting a sponge cos the sponge may spoil the overall presentation of your tank.

Sinubux <=== Am a perfectionist, little things not in place will irritate the shit in me.
An undergravel filter only works for non-planted tanks and it is the worse in filtration efficiency compared to power filters in which specialty biological and chemical filter media can be added. Also, regular gravel vacuuming is needed to keep it at its peak.

But these are just my thought as bro Silane has used undergravel filters to great success.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 PM   #15
Sinubux

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
An undergravel filter only works for non-planted tanks and it is the worse in filtration efficiency compared to power filters in which specialty biological and chemical filter media can be added. Also, regular gravel vacuuming is needed to keep it at its peak.

But these are just my thought as bro Silane has used undergravel filters to great success.
I, too, adopted Mod Silane's technique on my shrimp tank, and it garnered great success. However my next set up will not be using undergravel but purely on cannister filtration.

Sinubux <=== Thanks for the enlightenment from your end.
Old 25-03-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
$niper

Hi Bro, mind pm me the price of eheim 2211......looking for one. Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_cheng_hoo View Post
hi bro JadeIceGreen, i newbe in setup a new tank. i also using eheim 2211 for my 30l / 1 ft tank. i jus bought 2 days ago. i found it too strong for my tank. what the method you using? can pm me.
thanks in advance.
Old 26-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by $niper View Post
Hi Bro, mind pm me the price of eheim 2211......looking for one. Thank you
Bro. I've PMed you.
Old 26-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #18
fishy80
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeIceGreen View Post
Bro. I've PMed you.
Hi, can u drop me a PM on the price of 2211? thanks
fishy80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
JadeIceGreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishy80 View Post
Hi, can u drop me a PM on the price of 2211? thanks
Sure, PMed you too.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
highlander_den

Quote:
Originally Posted by detritus View Post
could also use a sponge pre-filter at the inlet. i thot they dun look too bad if u get a decent looking one.

think there's another issue, which is the outlet... the rain bar may still cause quite a bit of current in a small tank. suggest to point it inwards so it hits the wall of the tank rather than outwards or downwards where it hits the water direct.
Could we use a Eheim Wide-jet pipe at the outlet instead? Will it help to reduce the flow as well?

"Strong movement of the water surface is generated by the wide-jet pipe, which liberally flushes oxygen into the water and imitates the natural movement of water.

The wide-jet pipe with its specially shaped outlet opening spouts the water cleaned by the filter in a wide jet onto the surface. This creates the desired movement. Thanks to its curved shape, it can be hung over the edge of the aquarium or mounted directly over the surface of the water at the correct angle with the aid of a suction holder."