Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 11-04-2009, 12:19 AM   #1
illusionist

Default Chiller Canister Connection

Hey bros, I'm intending to set up a 1.5 feet tank keeping mainly shrimps. Have a few queries that I'd like to straighten out since I've never used or really come across canisters in my 3 years in the hobby, which come to think of it sounds rather silly.

Anyways, here goes
1. Canister filters have their own pump yes? Would a Eheim 2213 Classic with a 400l/h output be overpowering for my shrimps?
2. The chiller recommends a flowrate of about 1000l/h. Does that mean my canister pump is insufficient? But if I need such a high flowrate, my shrimps would be fighting to stay on their little feet no?

Thanks in advance!!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 AM   #2
highlander_den

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist View Post
Hey bros, I'm intending to set up a 1.5 feet tank keeping mainly shrimps. Have a few queries that I'd like to straighten out since I've never used or really come across canisters in my 3 years in the hobby, which come to think of it sounds rather silly.

Anyways, here goes
1. Canister filters have their own pump yes? Would a Eheim 2213 Classic with a 400l/h output be overpowering for my shrimps?
2. The chiller recommends a flowrate of about 1000l/h. Does that mean my canister pump is insufficient? But if I need such a high flowrate, my shrimps would be fighting to stay on their little feet no?

Thanks in advance!!
1) Yes, they have a in-build motor. 400L/h should be fine, depending how you place ur outlet.

2) Yes, 2213 is not enough to run a chiller which recommend 1000L/h flowrate. Get a smaller chiller.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #3
numbskull
Arofanatic

400/L is a bit overkill for a 1 1/2 feet tank. I am currently keeping my 1 1/2 feet tank running on a 2211 eheim with 300/L flowrate with a rainbar at outlet to minimise the flowrate. i feel its just nice for the shrimps. if u want to go ahead with it, maybe u would like to get a jetpipe and a sponge to cover the inlet.

if i chiller needs 1000/L and you are using a 400/L cannister, the amount of water will not be enough to pass through the chiller to give a proper chilling. So ur chiller would kickstart more frequently, thus using more electricity and higher bills in the coming months. Heard that it would shorten the lifespan of the chiller as well. Advise you to get a smaller chiller like what i am using now:

Hailea 100A or a bit higher like Hailea 130A/150A or Resun CL280.

mine kickstart for 5 mins every 35 mins interval.
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #4
numbskull
Arofanatic

And 1 thing to look out is that the outlet hose from your canister might not be able to fit into the inlet of your chiller, so ask the lfs that before u purchase the hose. (Don't be like me, i ran an extra 2 trips to nearby LFS cause i bought the wrong hose for my chiller).
numbskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
illusionist

Thanks for your help bros. I'm much clearer on the whole issue now.

bro numbskull, regarding the issue about the outlet hose from canister not fitting inlet of chiller, how does changing the hose help? or do you require an adapter of sorts?
Old 13-04-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Jeff_Leow

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist View Post
Thanks for your help bros. I'm much clearer on the whole issue now.

bro numbskull, regarding the issue about the outlet hose from canister not fitting inlet of chiller, how does changing the hose help? or do you require an adapter of sorts?
hose have diff diameter, so u gotta check both the canister n chiller hose size
Old 30-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
bkong

sorry bro, if this in the topic i was wonderin if it is possible to have the chiller inlet in the tank and the chiller conected to the filter den the filter pumps back the water into the tank???
newbie here jus wanna clear some doubts
Old 30-04-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
hastydiver
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkong View Post
sorry bro, if this in the topic i was wonderin if it is possible to have the chiller inlet in the tank and the chiller conected to the filter den the filter pumps back the water into the tank???
newbie here jus wanna clear some doubts
you can BUT, your chiller will chock very fast, the correct connect should be filter inlet in the tank, then to the chiller (the water by then should be clean and free from debris) then back to the tank.
hastydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
bkong

it not advisable to have it connected the way i stated earlier
another qn but tis may sound abit stupid
is it possible to have the chiller to doing the sucking and pumping water by it self? (ie i connect a DIY canister filter minus the motor to the chiller and the canister inlet to the tank) and jus let the chiller to suck the water from the tank into the canister den into the chiller den back into the tank?
will i be killing the chiller's motor? if it is even possible for such a setup
may sound abit stupid but it is jus tt sometimes it is hard to get filters and chillers of the same flowrate

Last edited by bkong; 30-04-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
hastydiver
Arofanatic

chiller got no pump. the flow rate state at chiller mean chilling rate ie it able to cool the water at that rate.. you will need to match the cannister and chiller flow rate , +/- of 100L/h is ok.
hastydiver is offline   Reply With Quote