Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 26-07-2011, 11:17 AM   #1
TwistedPair

Default Effects of TIO Poison - 3 Feet Tank

hi all..!

my first post equiped with photos!
so long story short, today is the second day of TIO poison by my friend to start a planted tank!

this is my first time doing a planted tank so lao jios please dont flame but guide me. im still learning. some DIY here and there please share with me ur comments on what might or might not work..

so lets not waste time!

It started with me recieving my 3ft tank back frm my friend after he decided to upgrade to a 6feet cabinet tank! rahh..so "new" tank back in my house! tio make noise by my mother again but nvm!

DAY 1
placing the tank..

i also went to shop for drift wood and etc! soaked them with water from my other fish tank!

and then for the overhead filter!

because i used to keep bigger fishes in this tank last time i reused my old atman submersible pump BUT was afraid if i used it again ALL my soil will tio sucked and later choke the pump.. but also dowan to spend more money on canisters and all! so DIY project number one!

A stand for my pump using old trays from stackable overhead filter.

End of Day 1

DAY 2
Adding in all the other necessary stuff! including soil!

of course the guy who poisoned me wasnt left out!made him come and help me with all the work! haha

and so after some kopi downstairs while allowing the water to settle down. i added in the filter and ?japanese mat? correct me if im wrong..i later changed it after reading some threads on bacteria house. need some help on this though..

DIY project number 2!
i never used CO2 or anything of that sort with my arowana and tigers so i never really bothered about how ugly those CO2 tanks looked until now.
so i decided to decorate it! haha

first coat - white
second layer - black with masking tape to tape the lines and a NICKNAME
pull off all the masking tape and tada!

anyway fellow bros out there.
here is a picture of my filter setup. any major problems?

please advise

so at the end of day two! the end result.....

haha! not much of a planted thing going on YET! but soon to come.. second day only nia!

wooo! more to come...
Old 26-07-2011, 11:23 AM   #2
leezhengxi

bro , do you have a rough plan of your overhead filter ? have always wanted to make one similar like yours, but have no idea how to start...
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
bro , do you have a rough plan of your overhead filter ? have always wanted to make one similar like yours, but have no idea how to start...
huh? bro what u mean no idea how to start? as in dont knw where to get e filter?

just to add.my knowledge is 1/10 haha.right now its jus LFS uncle say what i do!hopefully nvr get chop but i also have THAT friend who poisoned me as my advisor.he do what i do what loh! haha right now my filter is wool - bact hse - the ring thing - coral something

haha pardon e ignorance!
Old 26-07-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
leezhengxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedPair View Post
huh? bro what u mean no idea how to start? as in dont knw where to get e filter?

just to add.my knowledge is 1/10 haha.right now its jus LFS uncle say what i do!hopefully nvr get chop but i also have THAT friend who poisoned me as my advisor.he do what i do what loh! haha right now my filter is wool - bact hse - the ring thing - coral something

haha pardon e ignorance!
your overhead filter is bought from the lfs ?
leezhengxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
cheetf
Dragon

Bro how about rethink the option of using a canister? Much better for the planted tank. Easier to hide the pipes inside the tank. Plus you can put one more light if you need. Also less surface agitation and therefore less CO2 wastage.

Anyway with this set up, how do you plan to hide the pump?
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 12:43 PM   #6
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by leezhengxi View Post
your overhead filter is bought from the lfs ?
yes! i bought this overhead filter from a "tank maker" not really a LFS.. the shop is along kovan road. just before the caltex station.

i forgot the guy's name already. i bought this filter like 2 years ago.
Old 26-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
TwistedPair

@cheetf

actually i using this again because i want to make use of that overhead filter and the pump. like very heartpain just put aside or throw away.. bought it long time ago.

anyway i was thinking of leaving the pump this way? do u anticipate any possible problems in the future? if so please share.
Old 26-07-2011, 03:59 PM   #8
TwistedPair

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheetf View Post
Bro how about rethink the option of using a canister? Much better for the planted tank. Easier to hide the pipes inside the tank. Plus you can put one more light if you need. Also less surface agitation and therefore less CO2 wastage.

Anyway with this set up, how do you plan to hide the pump?
brother cheetf. care to explain more about the surface agitation part. because ur phrase "less CO2 wastage" just made me a lil kan chiong.
Old 26-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
@cheetf

actually i using this again because i want to make use of that overhead filter and the pump. like very heartpain just put aside or throw away.. bought it long time ago.

anyway i was thinking of leaving the pump this way? do u anticipate any possible problems in the future? if so please share.
I see your reason for using this set up but this kind of set up not really used in planted tanks. More for keeping big fish. If you really want to you can sell it off mah.

As for the problems, the thing I can see is rotting plants clogging up the pump and also the unnecessary heat if any from the pump.

Quote:
brother cheetf. care to explain more about the surface agitation part. because ur phrase "less CO2 wastage" just made me a lil kan chiong.
This is because the water returns to the tank from the top like water fall right?. This will like 'stir in the needed oxygen and remove the CO2' therefore the amount of CO2 that you have to use to achieve the same effect on the plants might be more.

Last edited by cheetf; 26-07-2011 at 04:53 PM.
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
TwistedPair

okay thanks brother chee!

i think i should be heading over to the marketplace section soon.
hmmm maybe with the money i can buy a CANISTER and a CHILLER!

oh goshhhh.. more poison brother chee!