Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 15-11-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
.S1
Dragon

Default Fluval FX5 Canister Update 2011

Yo All,

Manage to find some time today to share and give an update after using the Fluval FX5 Canister since July 2006, for those who are looking to upgrade or convert to this FX5 canisters. Disclaimer: I am in no way linked directly or indirectly to Fluval.

I am currently running 2 x FX5 canisters for my 400litres tank 24/7 for the past 5 years 3 months and the experiences had been FANTASTIC.
  • I have not experience any failure till today.
  • The self-priming system never fails.
  • Connecting and disconnecting the hose takes less than 5mins each.
  • Washing the media and canisters took me approx 1 hour.
  • The sponge looks brand new and lasted me till today, no replacement required.
  • No leaks experienced thus far.
  • Power consumption rated at 50W and designed for 1500L tank.
  • Flow rates continue to be just as powerful
IMHO, this is Fluval most reliable product.

Canister A: Purely as Mechanical Filtration. 100% Original sponge on the side of the basket. Top tray filled with Coral Chips. Middle and bottom trays uses black coarse sponge. This canister is only wash approx every 6 months.

Canister B: Purely use as Biological Filtration. 100% Original sponge on the side of the basket as a pre-filter. All the 3 trays are filled to the maximum with BioHome Plus. This canisters is only wash approx every 1 year.

Both canisters washing are staggered (at least a month difference) to ensure mature BBs are always present in the closed-loop system. Each wash I will removed the impeller and wash it clean too. Everything is scrubbed and washed like brand new directly with tap water, except the BioHome Plus Media and the 1" hose which is left connected to the main tank and cabinet.

Staggering of washing helps to prevent a possibility of experiencing the OLD TANK SYNDROME without sufficient mature BBs for Nitrification. On top of that my main tank has approx 4inches of gravel for the BBs to exist as well as DIY Moving Bed Filtration using K1 media.

Attached my tank below.
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The thread that we were discussing in 2006 comparing with Eheim can be found below:
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...047&highlight=
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...690&highlight=

Any positive or negative experience from anyone so far to share? I believe there are many FX5 users in AF.

Cheers,
S1
.S1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
foldem

I am also a very big fan of the FX5. Hands down the 'BEST' mechanical filter on the market.
I use two of them on my 8foot for pure mech filtration. I have a 5foot sump that takes care of the bio filtration and my fish are very happy and healthy.
I'm not sure it makes a good bio filter since the flow is so fast, from experience i find that a slower paced filter makes a better bio filter.
But in your case it's worked out great, thanks for sharing!
Old 05-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #3
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldem View Post
I am also a very big fan of the FX5. Hands down the 'BEST' mechanical filter on the market.
I use two of them on my 8foot for pure mech filtration. I have a 5foot sump that takes care of the bio filtration and my fish are very happy and healthy.
I'm not sure it makes a good bio filter since the flow is so fast, from experience i find that a slower paced filter makes a better bio filter.
But in your case it's worked out great, thanks for sharing!
Thank you for taking such good care of your fishes with such good filtrations (Canisters and Sump). When you take care of your water, your water will take care of your fishes. Thanks for sharing too.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #4
forcefeedback
Arofanatic

Thanks for sharing Bro...great looking fishes you have there.
forcefeedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
shin chan
Dragon

water seem crystal clear but why the curl gills on ur aro?
shin chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin chan View Post
water seem crystal clear but why the curl gills on ur aro?
My Aro since young has a bad habit of doing reversing rather than turn around in this same tank. Whenever the Aro reverse, the gill will curl. I tried many methods to help it recover, it straightens and curl again to and fro, over 3 years period. Finally just let it be and it curl back with its reversing technique. More than 6 years with me liao. Still love reversing till today . :-)
Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
itchy
Endangered Dragon

Your forest snakeheads look great! Thanks for sharing .
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
shin chan
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .S1 View Post
My Aro since young has a bad habit of doing reversing rather than turn around in this same tank. Whenever the Aro reverse, the gill will curl. I tried many methods to help it recover, it straightens and curl again to and fro, over 3 years period. Finally just let it be and it curl back with its reversing technique. More than 6 years with me liao. Still love reversing till today . :-)
ic. thanks for explaining.
mine curl due to bad water....
ok now after i cut and maintain good water.
shin chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 01:40 AM   #9
awj2703

can advise how u hook up the clip for the piping and hose tp the bracing? mine is on eurobracing
Old 08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #10
sloke

Very clear your water, bro. Impressive. Thought of placing another filter canister for my tank together with my sump. Thinking of my backache, I opt out the idea.