Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 08-01-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

i love the fluval FX5 too.

1) the motor never gets too hot
2) motor is very quiet
3) very solid cover which seems impossible to leak due to the numerous screws
4)never failed me for the past 1yr

the only complain i have is the clip for the pipes.. don't work well for tanks with bracing.. other than that its awesome!
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #12
kpchua
Arofanatic

Have been using the FX-5 for my 522 for the past 2 years, no complain at all. Price 2 years ago also quite OK. Just upgraded my tank to the 5.5x2.5x2.5 last weekend and used back the same cannister. Will see if it can handle the tank and bioload.
kpchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
WiNd.feNg
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpchua View Post
Have been using the FX-5 for my 522 for the past 2 years, no complain at all. Price 2 years ago also quite OK. Just upgraded my tank to the 5.5x2.5x2.5 last weekend and used back the same cannister. Will see if it can handle the tank and bioload.
just a single FX5 for your tank? i think with very low bioload you could get by.

i can't handle the bioload for my 522.. anyway i don't think its design to handle a 522 anyway.. i added a 4 tier OHF to make up the rest of my bio-filter & mechanical.

i think your 5.5ft tank can go by if you just keep a lone arowana, with maybe a couple of tankmates then again, flow would be quite bad, need a wavemaker
WiNd.feNg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
kpchua
Arofanatic

Agreed flow is bad as I noticed more waste at the bottom (will put in the wavemaker tonight which was kept in store for the whole last year). Even the airpump also not as strong after I reused on new tank (just wondering why). I have already planned in the OHF by having 6 pieces of glass covers, so i can put in the OHF by removing 2 of them.
kpchua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:11 PM   #15
llewellyn
Dragon

Quote:
Even the airpump also not as strong after I reused on new tank (just wondering why).
the depth of the new tank makes it harder (pressure) ....
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM   #16
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Your forest snakeheads look great! Thanks for sharing .
Thanks. I caught it when it is just 6". Now it is 16" and 12". Just love Snakeheads, good tank mate with Aro IMHO.
.S1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldem View Post
I am also a very big fan of the FX5. Hands down the 'BEST' mechanical filter on the market.
I use two of them on my 8foot for pure mech filtration. I have a 5foot sump that takes care of the bio filtration and my fish are very happy and healthy.
I'm not sure it makes a good bio filter since the flow is so fast, from experience i find that a slower paced filter makes a better bio filter.
But in your case it's worked out great, thanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloke View Post
Very clear your water, bro. Impressive. Thought of placing another filter canister for my tank together with my sump. Thinking of my backache, I opt out the idea.
Why not Bro Sloke? Just like Bro Foldem said which I agreed totally. FX5 is one of the 'BEST' mechanical filtration. It is easy to wash and auto prime rocks. Never had back breaking experience with it every 6 months when I wash.

I am not too worried about it as the biological filtration (I can say it works well too which I have tested), anyway my tank has lots of gravels for the BBs to run around
Old 09-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by awj2703 View Post
can advise how u hook up the clip for the piping and hose tp the bracing? mine is on eurobracing
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiNd.feNg View Post
i love the fluval FX5 too.
the only complain i have is the clip for the pipes.. don't work well for tanks with bracing.. other than that its awesome!
Yo Bro,

I never had any problem with the piping and the clip. However I use cable tie to secure it after the clip; as well as to help push the pipe towards my tank wall. Have been securely connected since day 1 of setup.

Not too sure if it helps but attach is a picture of how I connect to my tank. My tank has top and bottom Euro bracing too.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Agreed flow is bad as I noticed more waste at the bottom ....
Yo Bro, have you tried covering one of the outlet of the FX5 Two Direction Filter Output Nozzle.

Alternatively, you can replace the outlet Nozzle with a 1" L-Shaped PVC arm. It fits nicely into the rubber connector and the power is very directional and powerful.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:08 PM   #20
awj2703

bro do you have more pic of ur FX5 setup?