Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 10-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #11
brianchu

Yea man, it was too good to be true lol, will probably go back and do the testing again. But yea the bioload is really up there haha. Planning to take out 4 of the aros and do another aro comm tank i suppose so i can keep to one week change water once and keep my fishes happy!

I was using API liquid tester. I was doing once a week water change 20% each time. The fishes are still walloping like mad so i didnt think too much of it, but after talking to a few experts i thought i really should test and try to maintain the nitrate below 100

Thanks guys for the inputs! keep em coming :P
Old 10-01-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
.S1
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianchu View Post
Yea man, it was too good to be true lol, will probably go back and do the testing again. But yea the bioload is really up there haha. Planning to take out 4 of the aros and do another aro comm tank i suppose so i can keep to one week change water once and keep my fishes happy!

I was using API liquid tester. I was doing once a week water change 20% each time. The fishes are still walloping like mad so i didnt think too much of it, but after talking to a few experts i thought i really should test and try to maintain the nitrate below 100

Thanks guys for the inputs! keep em coming :P
Yo Brian,

You are not alone with 80-160ppm of Nitrate. I am not surprise if your fishes are still eating like crazy. All fishes will adapt to the water parameters as long as it is a gradual process where in your case Nitrates accumulate slowly.

My tank is also high with 80-160ppm Nitrate and all fishes are eating very well. I am using API Nitrate test kit as well as Sera. API Nitrate test kits are reliable IMHO, I just bought another new API Nitrate test kit. I suspect your test kit might have been contaminated somehow or kept too long liao.

From my experience in my tank, even 75% WC, after 12 hours, the Nitrate will shoot back up to 80-160ppm from 10ppm. If I have 90% WC, after 48hours, my nitrate is back to 80-160ppm from 5ppm.

Happy to know you have sufficient filtration to take care of your water.

Cheers,
S1
.S1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
brianchu

To .S1: Wah serious ah, i was hoping i could somehow try to maintain it at a lower level. But glad to know i am not alone lol, i am also using the two test kits you mentioned as well, i prefer the API one, but mus shake like mad leh lol

I went back to do another test jus now (not very patient lol) and it was at the 80-160ppm range, so i mus have made a blunder with the 2nd time i did it. As compared previously 160ppm, the color was lighter. I am gonna try doing more frequent water changes and see if it will help with the situation. Die die mus try or else will never know or believe for myself :P
Old 11-01-2012, 01:27 AM   #14
spotted

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianchu View Post
I went back to do another test jus now (not very patient lol) and it was at the 80-160ppm range, so i mus have made a blunder with the 2nd time i did it. As compared previously 160ppm, the color was lighter. I am gonna try doing more frequent water changes and see if it will help with the situation. Die die mus try or else will never know or believe for myself :P
More frequent will help with the situation. Perhaps you can wc 20-30% every alternate days and test on the nitrate after 2 weeks. You will be able to see some improvements by then.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #15
angelo
Senior Dragon

Check your water conditioner.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote