Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 10-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
brianchu

Default Nitrate levels

Hi all,
Got a super noob question here. I was doing WC and realise that after a 20% water change, my nitrate level was still at 160ppm or more (Max that the api liquid tester would go) so i decided to do another 20% water change the next day. After the second WC, i did another test and found tat the nitrate level dropped to 20 or 40ppm (cant decide between the colors). Any ideas why this could be the case? In theory, if i changed 20% of the water, the 160ppm should drop by only 20% right? Or is it just a plain testing error? Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
Brian
Old 10-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #2
datseasy

It could be that your nitrate level was way above 160ppm. Liquid tester has its limitation.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianchu View Post
Hi all,
Got a super noob question here. I was doing WC and realise that after a 20% water change, my nitrate level was still at 160ppm or more (Max that the api liquid tester would go) so i decided to do another 20% water change the next day. After the second WC, i did another test and found tat the nitrate level dropped to 20 or 40ppm (cant decide between the colors). Any ideas why this could be the case? In theory, if i changed 20% of the water, the 160ppm should drop by only 20% right? Or is it just a plain testing error? Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

Regards,
Brian
What fish and tank size you have?
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
brianchu

7x2.5x2ft with sump tank, 5 aros and 5 8-9inch rays!

Yea i think i went across the 160ppm limit lol, but after i did another water change it went down to 40ppm. which is very wierd becoz it was only a 20% water change. can it make such a big difference?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
canopy
Dragon

20% change will not drop the nitrate level from 140ppm to 20/40 ppm. Maybe you need another testkits (probably liquid type) and confirm the actual reading.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #6
angelo
Senior Dragon

First of all, your tank bioload is solid!

Your reading on NO3 before and after water change is normal. Calling experts to provide answer.
angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Ircknight
Dragon

Quote:
7x2.5x2ft with sump tank, 5 aros and 5 8-9inch rays!

Yea i think i went across the 160ppm limit lol, but after i did another water change it went down to 40ppm. which is very wierd becoz it was only a 20% water change. can it make such a big difference?
Bioload too high =)
Ircknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Hi all,

Regards,
Brian
Gut feel says testing error the first time round. If your nitriate was so high (above testing limit) , I think some of your lifestock might have died. Anyway, it sounds like you may need to up the frequency of your water changing regime.
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
kenneth_yong
Arofanatic

hi bro, if you did the test right after wc; is it possible that the new water was not mix well into with your tank water yet? not so sure, was thinking this might be the cause as it shouldn't drop by that much for 20% wc providing the test kit is doing good
kenneth_yong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:01 PM   #10
spotted

I think something is not right somewhere.

One way to find out the accurate reading is to do another nitrate test.

Do keep us update results.