Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 PM   #51
boony
Arofanatic

The advice and observations offered is timely for me and no doubt informative for those soon to be ray Papa.
The scenario of SG being a force supplying rays to the region and beyond is enticing. Add in the fact that higher quality species such as P14 and its variants are finding their way to hobbyist, it might not be a pipe dream.
boony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:46 PM   #52
Edmundo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolngoh View Post
My preference would be 28 deg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack lee View Post
temp best set at 28 to 29 degrees...there babies are damn stupid..loves to go near to the heater..so best put the heater away from the babies if u dun want cane marks on yr babies.hahaha....and always keep a lookout on the pups breathing...
NOted. thanks

For your necessary Info

Post Buy/Sell, Title Your Thread, No Chit Chat in Thread
Edmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:15 PM   #53
marshy

Senior Moderator

Question.

Typically from birth, how long later would be optimum to start training to MP?
I'm sure different ray grandparents would have their different dates but I'd like to see the range.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 PM   #54
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshy View Post
Actually... I'm still trying to figure out the 1st part...
The "Breeding Rays is Easy" Part!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray2828 View Post
the right size right tank...the rays will figure out what to do...for pups, unlike cichlids, the adults dont care, leaving us to be foster parents.

the match up is not that easy as it seems, especially those breeding in tanks ... 1 very common problem is agression from matured male rays, especially those that had not successfully mated with a female before ... the female will be bitten so badly that some stopped eating. mine was always trying to swim away & jet about when the male comes near her ... eventually had to give up the male for something less nicer & experienced male ... now 2 of my females are pregnant with that 1 male ...

now i'm jus wondering ... if an agressive inexperienced male is put together with an experienced female, will the agression subside after matering the technique of mating..??
Experienced beeders care to comment ...??
naser90096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:36 PM   #55
marshy

Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naser90096 View Post
the match up is not that easy as it seems, especially those breeding in tanks ... 1 very common problem is agression from matured male rays, especially those that had not successfully mated with a female before ... the female will be bitten so badly that some stopped eating. mine was always trying to swim away & jet about when the male comes near her ... eventually had to give up the male for something less nicer & experienced male ... now 2 of my females are pregnant with that 1 male ...

now i'm jus wondering ... if an agressive inexperienced male is put together with an experienced female, will the agression subside after matering the technique of mating..??
I know what you mean.
I had an inexperience horny male with likewise female.
THe female was bitten but real bad.
marshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:43 PM   #56
aro-spino
Senior Dragon

Quote:

Naser, are you refering to your Mantilla SP (x2) got pregnant already? So fast huh? Very horny leh your male .
aro-spino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #57
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by aro-spino View Post
Naser, are you refering to your Mantilla SP (x2) got pregnant already? So fast huh? Very horny leh your male .
yup, this is her 3rd pregnancy actually ... should pop out ard early Mar 09. i oso have another female oso pregnant i think...
naser90096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2009, 11:57 AM   #58
ray2828
Dragon

Quote:

I dont do tank breeding so unable to comment much.

However, as for male agression, I feel its more to do with temperment of the individual rays. I got a very aggressive pdr male stud. He wacks the females until they got substantial damages and stop feeding. Usually i will only let him near the females for 24 hours, then separate him out again. I cant say he is not experience as he sired 2 batches before.

However its better to get a better lover, the females will then be more accomodating and willing.
ray2828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2009, 01:54 AM   #59
mrnyunus
Dragon

Thumbs up

very informative bros....thks for the heads up
mrnyunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #60
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

Sharing my "bochup" way of keeping ray pups ...

Once born, immediately remove them carefully from FGT and transfer to glass tank. Perform the usual drip method to acclimatise the pups. On the same day, just throw in bite-size cut fish fillet and let the pups figure out what is food and what is not. Then observe for signs of food nibbling, remove uneaten food by end of day. They usually figures out that they have to eat or die young, then they start eating by day 3 or 4.

So far so good with 2 little of pups from the same SP female.

Try at your own risk
samuelphan is offline   Reply With Quote