Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Closed Thread

Old 30-03-2008, 04:58 PM   #141
xaine
Dragon

After being away on vacation for slightly more than a week, my comm tank is a couple of prawns down (since I only have 1 auto-feeder, it was used on another tank). I guess the crays been on a feeding frenzy (since I only dump in some bigger pellets, hoping it would last a few days). Anyway the crays seemed to be surviving much better than the bigger prawns, and feeding off them too. Only managed to find 2 (half) carcass of the prawns.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #142
CheckerBox
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tualatin View Post
It is always wise to take note that it is not recommended to keep a community tank of different species due to territorial aggression. Even a community tank of a couple of crayfishes of the same species can pose some problems. If you choose to do it, you might want to have a large enough with lots of hiding spots, so the weaker or less aggressive crayfishes have some places to escape to from the stronger or more aggressive ones. Having said that, there is no guarantee you will not take any injuries or casualties. It is always treading on the line, taking a risk.
Thanks for the advice.

I have 7 pcs (2 males, 5 females) of 6 different species all house within a 2ft tank right now. Initially had 8 pcs but have removed the smallest one away as it was bullied by the rest.

I do provide lots of hiding places for them with driftwood, PVC pipes, rocks, pebbles etc. They're doing fine so far but that's after some occasion tussle for dominance. Once the hierachy has been established, they have now settled down pretty well.

Will be shifting them to a 4ft setup pretty soon

BTW, any bros here have experience breeding crays? Would love to seek some advice and learn more from the experts here.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #143
xaine
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerBox View Post
Thanks for the advice.

I have 7 pcs (2 males, 5 females) of 6 different species all house within a 2ft tank right now. Initially had 8 pcs but have removed the smallest one away as it was bullied by the rest.

I do provide lots of hiding places for them with driftwood, PVC pipes, rocks, pebbles etc. They're doing fine so far but that's after some occasion tussle for dominance. Once the hierachy has been established, they have now settled down pretty well.

Will be shifting them to a 4ft setup pretty soon

BTW, any bros here have experience breeding crays? Would love to seek some advice and learn more from the experts here.

Looks like you have a nice ratio for breeding, so long as the water condition is nice enough for them, nature will do it's course.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:11 PM   #144
CheckerBox
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xaine View Post
Looks like you have a nice ratio for breeding, so long as the water condition is nice enough for them, nature will do it's course.
Hmm... just curious. Any experts out there can share what is the ideal PH, KH and temp for breeding crays?

Also, can crays of different species cross breed with one another? I would assume that only those under the same family can inter-breed with one another since they have their sexual organs at the same position. (I hope I'm right?)
Old 04-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #145
weixiong80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameyaiba View Post
c328 florist has good exotic lobsters though you should wait for new batch as the best ones from the last batch have already been taken. Probably the pure black one is still left, I saw 2 blues one taken yesterday, I took a redish orange one and there are some other different colored ones left.
does anyone know when C328 normally got new stock of crays in???
would like to take a look at some exotic types. wanna start crayfish rearing.
is it a must for them to be fully submerged in water???

Old 05-04-2008, 12:57 AM   #146
slitzx

hi, newbie here hope you all won't mind me sharing some of my pic, 2 of them =D

Old 05-04-2008, 04:16 PM   #147
Gus
Dragon

wow it had been a long time never come in and see never know it had rreach 17 edition liao
Old 08-04-2008, 12:26 PM   #148
xaine
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slitzx View Post
hi, newbie here hope you all won't mind me sharing some of my pic, 2 of them =D
That's seemed quite a nice planted eco for your crays.
When I had that the other time, my crays nibble away all my plants *sob*
Old 08-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #149
PrinceCharming

guys..been so busy lately..juz went c328 and y934 2 days ago and nothing much..c328 i saw orange crayfish and 2 sky blue cherax destructor @ $23 each...

and for y934 only 2 cherax sp. apricot

no bluemoons haha

Old 08-04-2008, 11:30 PM   #150
Tualatin

Dropped by QH on last Thursday, spotted the following:

Common Blue (Large, Many)
Red (Medium, Many)
Orange (Medium, Few)
Blue Moon (Medium, Few)
Marron (Medium, Few)

Closed Thread