Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #1
wingwa77

Default CRS into hiding

dear shi fu and pros,

First time having CRS with eggs, saw red color eggs under the shrimp for 2 weeks then 2 days ago the eggs start to have a black dot. Then all the CRS with eggs were missing (either went into hiding in the moss or are dead.). Even during feeding those with eggs did not come out...

Can anyone advise is it is normal.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
reaverx

not normal , most likely they feeling stressed tat why they are gone into hiding or dead ...

if the water conditions are good and they not feeling stressed they will usually frolick in the open spaces or on top of the mosses ...

provide more info like , temp , pH , etc ...

is this a new tank ?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
xaine
Dragon

From the way you have described, it seemed that the eggs have all turn into shrimplets. Have you spotted any new shrimplets ? Usually within the first few days, they will still be gazing among the moss, so it might be hard to spot. As for the pregnant shrimps, they should be happily feasting with the rest of them (without you noticing, since they are no longer carrying the eggs)
xaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
Hobbes09
Arofanatic

If you can recognise which are the shrimps with eggs, and u find that after the black dots appear, the eggs are gone then its likely that they have hatched.

If those same pregnant ones are missing, then they may have died, unfortunately. As the bros here said, please provide more info on water parameters.

Shrimplets are also very sensitive to water parameters, even more so than adults. If the water parameters are wrong, the babies won't last more than a week.

I remember my first few batches of shrimplets did not survive cos my water parameters were wrong. But now that I've got them right, the shrimps are happily breeding. The last I checked, I had 4 berried females.

Be on the lookout for shrimplets - just hatched ones are very tiny, abt 1.5 to 2mm. Best of luck!
Hobbes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
magpie
Arofanatic

Using for berried shrimps, they will take 23 - 31 days for the shrimplets to be hatched from the eggs. If the eggs were gone and you have recalled that the eggs were with the berried shrimps then it is likely the shrimplets were born. Newly hatched shrimplets will go into hiding within the first one two weeks. As for berried shrimps, I noticed that they will be quite slow as compared to the rest on feasting of foods.
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Hobbes09
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
Using for berried shrimps, they will take 23 - 31 days for the shrimplets to be hatched from the eggs. If the eggs were gone and you have recalled that the eggs were with the berried shrimps then it is likely the shrimplets were born. Newly hatched shrimplets will go into hiding within the first one two weeks. As for berried shrimps, I noticed that they will be quite slow as compared to the rest on feasting of foods.
Depends... Some of my berried females are quite aggressive when it comes to feeding time. Some of them grab the food and run!
Hobbes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
wingwa77

Updates
1. Found 1 CRS shrimplet, hopefully there would be more. Cross my fingers
2. Saw one of the CRS with eggs. Now the eggs is mostly transparent with a red dot.

But seems to me that those in my tank most of the CRS with eggs like to hide.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
wingwa77

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaverx View Post
not normal , most likely they feeling stressed tat why they are gone into hiding or dead ...

if the water conditions are good and they not feeling stressed they will usually frolick in the open spaces or on top of the mosses ...

provide more info like , temp , pH , etc ...

is this a new tank ?
Temp: 22 weekdays (Office air con + PC fan after office hours)
25 weekends (PC fan)
pH: never measure, but using GEX red packet soil .
tank size : 1.5 x 0.5 feet

Cherry, CRS and oto. The cherry shrimps have multiplied from 6 pieces to 100 ++ sold 80++ of them before starting with CRS .