Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 04:39 PM   #1
FishyAmazon

Default The Great Mahseer Journal - V

This is thread is growing at a much faster pace than i had imagined. Lets continue from where we left off.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #2
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM09
A 3-4" Thai blue cost US$40-80 depending on the quantity in lfs at HK. Btw, what"s the size of your Thai blue right now?
This one i had is about 3.5 years since i got it. Grow painfully slow. At some point i thought the growth seem stunted, its about 9 plus inches now. And it's the only piece i have remaining. Just shifted home to a 4ft tank recently, the rest of the thai blue didnt make it - some sad story.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:55 PM   #3
FishyAmazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo
now... how about this picture... what barb is it ?
Those are not the native thai blue but still a variant of the blue kelah. From Malaysia or something. The physical characteristics are pretty obvious from my observation: 1) duller colouration - not as blue, 2) sharper nose than a native thai blue. There's a scientic name for this species, can't remember it off-hand now.

If you are into a kelahs collection. No harm getting 2 such pieces just to make the collection a bit more complete.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #4
hallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyAmazon View Post
Those are not the native thai blue but still a variant of the blue kelah. From Malaysia or something. The physical characteristics are pretty obvious from my observation: 1) duller colouration - not as blue, 2) sharper nose than a native thai blue. There's a scientic name for this species, can't remember it off-hand now.

If you are into a kelahs collection. No harm getting 2 such pieces just to make the collection a bit more complete.
hmm... yeah same with me. I think that to. In my opinion may be that's thai mahseer but... not blue mahseer. You thai mahseer with yellow colouration... may be like that ?

The seller told me he ordered that from singapore ( picture no.1 )

Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 AM   #5
hallo

this another picture again

similiar with

or this :

or Not at all

Old 08-07-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
CM09

Quote:
This is thread is growing at a much faster pace than i had imagined. Lets continue from where we left off.
Let's get into it!

Old 08-07-2010, 04:56 PM   #7
CM09

Quote:
Agree! To confirm their id is complicated....different place different name....different lfs diferent commercial name.

Old 08-07-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
CM09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo View Post
this another picture again
It's hard to tell as your fish is still young but I think it could properly be same as the upper pic.

Old 08-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #9
CM09

Quote:
This one i had is about 3.5 years since i got it. Grow painfully slow. At some point i thought the growth seem stunted, its about 9 plus inches now. And it's the only piece i have remaining. Just shifted home to a 4ft tank recently, the rest of the thai blue didnt make it - some sad story.
what a pity!
For the blue ones, I have 4 from 13"-7" and it seems that there is two different kind among them, so let's check the f-difference with pics:

The colouration of this biggest one is darker and a little bit greyish; not as shine as the other 3.

check that there's shinning blue appears along the edge of the scales on the other 3.

The snout of the biggest one is sharper while the upper lip is longer, which looks very closely to tambroides shape.

Comparison

Any idea what kind they are? Thanks!

Old 08-07-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
hallo

i have been looked from web mahseer, the picture i have took for comparison.

Hm... there two type thai mahseer. One called H. Straceyi And Tor tambroides.

H. straceyi refer to blue thai mahseer i think. And The tor tambroides refer to Thai mahseer and sometimes tor tambroides have blue shines scale.

This tor tambroides.... from other web article

And other one is H.straceyi/ thai blue mahseer
The body caracteristic almost similiar with tor tambroides on picture above. But have different on their snout where the tor tambroides. And on tor tambroides varian blue have more dulled colouration than blue thai mahseer..... like amazon says.

So i think back again. for my opinion = That tor tambroides have two varian type ( red colouration and yellow-blue colouration ) And H.straceyi always blue thai ?

Please correct me if iam wrong...... cause still confusing of it.

Closed Thread