Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #21
byongify

Default newbie ask

hi everyone.... im newbie in mahseer hobbyst..I am very excited with this tread,n help much for knowing better about mahseer...
I've read this thread from the first until the fifth.....and make my knowledge about mahseer better...day by day

thanks to mr fishyAmazon, who have made this useful thread,especially for the new hobbyist like me
there's something I want to ask to mr fishyAmazon.. about your post at...The Great Mahseer Journal (page 17)
you sent two PICT in that page ,but i still confused with your second pict...

is it true that fish is really red mahseer(tor sp)? because for me that fish look like Hypselobarbus jerdoni...i also attach 3 pict..the first is your pict (you give named Normal bodied Red kelah)...and second n third,i took from internet named "Hypselobarbus jerdoni"

pliss.....correct me if I am wrong..thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ngawur pool.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	260886   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hyjer_u1.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	260887   Click image for larger version

Name:	barbus jedoni.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	260888  

Old 11-07-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
channabarca

byongify is right on two counts.

The first pic on his post is that of a Hypselobarbus thomassi which grows max to about 20 cm. It is known as the Red Mahseer among fishing cirlces but in trade aquarium / trade is sometimes called the red tail Silver Shark. These are found in the South Western States of India primarily Kerala and Karnataka.

The next two pics are rightly idied as Hypselobarbus jerdoni which is recorded to grow to about 45 cm. These are found in the Dakshi Kannada District of Karnataka State of India. Popularly known as the Jerdon's Barb or Red Finned Barb

Neither of these are True Mahseer.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #23
byongify

Quote:
Originally Posted by channabarca View Post
byongify is right on two counts.

The first pic on his post is that of a Hypselobarbus thomassi which grows max to about 20 cm. It is known as the Red Mahseer among fishing cirlces but in trade aquarium / trade is sometimes called the red tail Silver Shark. These are found in the South Western States of India primarily Kerala and Karnataka.

The next two pics are rightly idied as Hypselobarbus jerdoni which is recorded to grow to about 45 cm. These are found in the Dakshi Kannada District of Karnataka State of India. Popularly known as the Jerdon's Barb or Red Finned Barb

Neither of these are True Mahseer.
in the first of his picture ..i believied that is mahseer from genus tor (from my observation)....
but the second picture is look like "Hypselobarbus jerdoni" to me...because based on the articles I've read
Mahseer is the common name used for the genera "Tor", "Neolissochilus", and "Naziritor" in the family Cyprinidae (carps)...so I am confused, whether "Hypselobarbus jerdoni" included in the category of mahseer?..(that is reason why ,iam asking.)

Old 12-07-2010, 03:13 PM   #24
channabarca

Quote:
Originally Posted by byongify View Post
in the first of his picture ..i believied that is mahseer from genus tor (from my observation)....
but the second picture is look like "Hypselobarbus jerdoni" to me...because based on the articles I've read
Mahseer is the common name used for the genera "Tor", "Neolissochilus", and "Naziritor" in the family Cyprinidae (carps)...so I am confused, whether "Hypselobarbus jerdoni" included in the category of mahseer?..(that is reason why ,iam asking.)
The fish in the Hypselobarbus group are more akin to Barbs such as Puntius, Sytomus and Barbodes species. But since some of the species grow to massive sizes seconf only to Tor and Neolissochilus species people both Anglers & Aquarists alike like to put these into that category. This is more the traders fault as then they can sell the same at higher prices though some within the group being discussed now are extremely rare to encounter.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #25
channabarca

I'm sorry I had meant Systomus

Old 12-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #26
chedra

Is Hypselobarbus thomassi supposed to be about a meter long max?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:01 PM   #27
chedra

Mr. Na_cheers: wondering how large/long the superred can grow up to?

Old 12-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #28
byongify

Quote:
Originally Posted by channabarca View Post
The fish in the Hypselobarbus group are more akin to Barbs such as Puntius, Sytomus and Barbodes species. But since some of the species grow to massive sizes seconf only to Tor and Neolissochilus species people both Anglers & Aquarists alike like to put these into that category. This is more the traders fault as then they can sell the same at higher prices though some within the group being discussed now are extremely rare to encounter.
thank for the information.. btw I can not find "Hypselobarbus thomassi" picture on the internet,
do you have any picture of it?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 PM   #29
CM09

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedra View Post
Thailand's regular Mahseer [kelah] of northern Thailand down to Kra region has blue fins when getting big. In most scientific literature this kelah is referred to as Tor tambroides, but it is probably not the same fish as red "Tor tambroides" of Malay peninsula and Borneo. The pic is from the web.
Thanks for your information, bro.
The pic that you provided looks quite similar to mine above. And I believe none of my blue is Neolissocheilus stracheyi, then what are the rest 3?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #30
CM09

Quote:
Originally Posted by byongify View Post
hi everyone.... im newbie in mahseer hobbyst..I am very excited with this tread,n help much for knowing better about mahseer...
I've read this thread from the first until the fifth.....and make my knowledge about mahseer better...day by day

thanks to mr fishyAmazon, who have made this useful thread,especially for the new hobbyist like me
It's glad to see you here, bro!
The biggest one above is the one that we've discussed in Youtube.
Welcome aboard!

Closed Thread