Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 21-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
fongs

Default How to identify type of sand/ stone for Goldfish?

Hi guys,

I was helping my girlfriend to change her usual big, shiny pebbles gravel to a new batch of small, colorful sand-like ones. I checked with the aquarium folk to make sure tat these are ok for GFs b4 buying 5kg of it. I washed the new pebbles for more than 5 times & soaked it for abt a day before putting into the 45cm length tank.

To our surprise, the GFs seemed to disapprove of it. 1 day passed & they are now less active than b4.. they only swim ard during feeding time. Rest of the time they prefer to lie at the bottom. I'm suspecting there's something wrong with the new pebbles. Any good way to find out? Wat sort of test kits are there in the market tat I can use? Also, how to identify the rite type of sand/ pebbles to use? I'm beginning not to trust the aquarium folks here...

Thx!
Old 21-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #2
Freshman
Dragon

bro..

wat kind of sand/gravel r u using?
better to show some pic of it..

Cheers
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2004, 11:06 AM   #3
fongs

Okie, will try to get some pics soon... the sand is at my girlfriend's place, so i can't get to it until tomorrow or so. Hope the GFs can hold up till then!

In the meantime, do u know of any good test kits for water cond.? I suspect its the sand affecting the water cond. Reason is, the GFs were ok b4 the change. For tat matter wat's the ideal water cond for GFs? (izzit like 0 ntriate etc..?) I'm a newbie to all these complicated stuffs...
Old 21-06-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
Freshman
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongs
Okie, will try to get some pics soon... the sand is at my girlfriend's place, so i can't get to it until tomorrow or so. Hope the GFs can hold up till then!

In the meantime, do u know of any good test kits for water cond.? I suspect its the sand affecting the water cond. Reason is, the GFs were ok b4 the change. For tat matter wat's the ideal water cond for GFs? (izzit like 0 ntriate etc..?) I'm a newbie to all these complicated stuffs...
...i'm not too sure abt the sand/gravel thing...
but if i were to put sand/gravel in my tank...

confirm must soak and wash for at least a week...before putting inside the tank.... also.. better to get from reliable brand..

as for water test kit..
get pH, nitrate will do.... to check when to change water and add in new coral chips..

ideal conditions = 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite , almost 0 nitrate , 7-7.5 pH
all these can be achieved if u do a proper cycling with weekly maintainence..

Cheers
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2004, 11:42 AM   #5
fongs

Thx Freshman! At least tat gave me a direction to head towards..

I think my next course of action wud be:

- buy a test kit to confirm water cond. Do water change if needed;
- remove the new sand from the tank & soak it for 1 week b4 use.

Thx for your help.

Cheers, =)