Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 21-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
.Hack
Dragon

Default Eheim Canister vs Other Canister Flow Direction

Hi all, have some questions regarding flow direction of canisters.

Have a Eheim 2228 canister and the flow direction is from the top down the "internal pipe", then from the bottom up through all the medias, then the outlet. Recently got myself another Brand X canister, flow direction is opposite of Eheim, flow from top to bottom through the medias, bottom up through "internal pipe", then the outlet. (Refer to picture below for clearer illustration).

Will both flow directions have the same effect on bio growth? As in both setup will flow through all medias nicely? Of cos, for Brand X, the media trays sequence will be opposite of Eheim.

.Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 01:53 PM   #2
jebus
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
Hi all, have some questions regarding flow direction of canisters.

Have a Eheim 2228 canister and the flow direction is from the top down the "internal pipe", then from the bottom up through all the medias, then the outlet. Recently got myself another Brand X canister, flow direction is opposite of Eheim, flow from top to bottom through the medias, bottom up through "internal pipe", then the outlet. (Refer to picture below for clearer illustration).

Will both flow directions have the same effect on bio growth? As in both setup will flow through all medias nicely? Of cos, for Brand X, the media trays sequence will be opposite of Eheim.

a)the top to bottom filtration versus b)the bottom to top has a few key differences:

i) mechanical filtration a) will clog out quite fast as the waste will be trapped onto the fine wool, compared to b) which bigger waste will fall onto the base of cannister .

ii) the flowrate across the cannister filter have big difference for a). i.e. the area near the input pipe will experience a large flowrate, and those further away wll be very slow. compared to b) where the flowrate is more uniform as it is like the water filling up the cannister slowly effect.

biologically filtration which we are aiming for in canister filters need 2 points, media must not clog up, and enough time for the bacteria to act on the waste water.

for the same size cannister, a) will have lesser area "low flowrrate area compared to b).

and also a) probably clog up the media quicker than b)

i might be biased though
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
.Hack
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebus View Post
a)the top to bottom filtration versus b)the bottom to top has a few key differences:

i) mechanical filtration a) will clog out quite fast as the waste will be trapped onto the fine wool, compared to b) which bigger waste will fall onto the base of cannister .

ii) the flowrate across the cannister filter have big difference for a). i.e. the area near the input pipe will experience a large flowrate, and those further away wll be very slow. compared to b) where the flowrate is more uniform as it is like the water filling up the cannister slowly effect.

biologically filtration which we are aiming for in canister filters need 2 points, media must not clog up, and enough time for the bacteria to act on the waste water.

for the same size cannister, a) will have lesser area "low flowrrate area compared to b).

and also a) probably clog up the media quicker than b)

i might be biased though
I actually have a Prefilter attached before the canister, so clogging of medias in the main canister shouldn't be an issue.

So based on your opinion, the Eheim will distribute water throughout the 3 trays of media better than Brand X??
.Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #4
jebus
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Hack View Post
I actually have a Prefilter attached before the canister, so clogging of medias in the main canister shouldn't be an issue.

So based on your opinion, the Eheim will distribute water throughout the 3 trays of media better than Brand X??
my personal opinion will be for eheim to perform better because the flow rate is more uniform compared to brand X.

for cannister is not about flowrate but more about flowrate ( slower better )
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote