Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 09-06-2004, 06:28 PM   #1
arserulez

redcross ACCIDENT: Can goldfish survive without tail?

Hi bros,

1 of my small 1" goldfish got sucked up when i did a water change juz now. it got stuck in the hose n its tail somehow got "chopped off".

for the past 30 min the fella seem to be able to swim (though not very well). i'm afraid the outflow of the ohf is too strong for it, so i removed it n put in hospital tank wif airpump n added melafix (to prevent infection).

i wld like to ask whether it is able to survive this ordeal or will it die soon?
wld it be better to cull it now n save it the pain?

personally i'm reluctant to cull it cos it seems to be swimming fine. but then its only 30mins so i'm not sure whether it wld make it. if it can survive w/o the tail, i wld like put it back in the main tank when the wound closes.

better still, wld the tailfin grow back?
Old 09-06-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by arserulez
Hi bros,

1 of my small 1" goldfish got sucked up when i did a water change juz now. it got stuck in the hose n its tail somehow got "chopped off".

for the past 30 min the fella seem to be able to swim (though not very well). i'm afraid the outflow of the ohf is too strong for it, so i removed it n put in hospital tank wif airpump n added melafix (to prevent infection).

i wld like to ask whether it is able to survive this ordeal or will it die soon?
wld it be better to cull it now n save it the pain?

personally i'm reluctant to cull it cos it seems to be swimming fine. but then its only 30mins so i'm not sure whether it wld make it. if it can survive w/o the tail, i wld like put it back in the main tank when the wound closes.

better still, wld the tailfin grow back?

That is sad, I know how you feel but accident do happen. Anyway, if the wound don't get infected, the chance of it surviving is good, especially if it can swim and can feed. At 1" there is a good chance some of the fin would regrow back abit.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:46 PM   #3
arserulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_sg
That is sad, I know how you feel but accident do happen. Anyway, if the wound don't get infected, the chance of it surviving is good, especially if it can swim and can feed. At 1" there is a good chance some of the fin would regrow back abit.
whew.... that's a relief...
it can swim but i haven tried feeding it. will try during feeding time tonight n update u...

i was afraid the fella wldnt make it n i was afraid i needed to cull it.
so when can i move the fella back into the main tank? when the tail grows back? or when the wound closes?

below r pics of the poor fella...
Old 09-06-2004, 06:57 PM   #4
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

OUCH!!!! Cant imagine how water change using hose can inflict such kind of wound
samuelphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #5
pykoh
Dragon

Now you know, dun play play hor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphan
OUCH!!!! Cant imagine how water change using hose can inflict such kind of wound
pykoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

Hehehe ... my at the most sucked out to the drain and will never get to see the fish again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pykoh
Now you know, dun play play hor.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:59 PM   #7
arserulez

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelphan
bro i using those U-shape thing wif valve that can hang on the side of the tank so the hose wont drop out during water change. u connect ur hose to the U-shape arm.

the goldfish got stuck at the valve.
Old 09-06-2004, 07:08 PM   #8
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

*Sigh*

Poor fishie fishie ...

Quote:
bro i using those U-shape thing wif valve that can hang on the side of the tank so the hose wont drop out during water change. u connect ur hose to the U-shape arm.

Old 09-06-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
Baruku

Quote:

Did you pull it out of the valve?!!! If so, you really have made a big mistake.

When you meet this kind of accident, the very first thing to do is to turn the tap to close position (if your u-shape arm has a tap knob) or immediately bend your water hose, this will immediately stop the sucking force and the fish will be released from the valve.

I've met this kind of accident before. The bubble of my poor bubble-eye get sucked and that moment I was too "kan cheong" and immediately pulled the water hose up!! The bubble thus burst! Luckily it grow back...

Yours looks very serious! It might get infected very easily. Do take good care of it. Wish you good luck!....
Old 10-06-2004, 01:36 AM   #10
Mitsukake
Endangered Dragon

Quote:

next time use a net like stuff and die it at the entrance there
it will allow the fish from being suck into it
Mitsukake is offline   Reply With Quote