alanzzz
Arofanatic

Default clown fish

what water chemistry must i attain, if i want to keep clown fishes
please help, beginner
alanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #2
KaLiB

Shifting over to invertebrate care for better response.

Firstly, Welcome to the marine hobby.Since your new, i would strongly suggest that you read up deep_end's article here to provide yourself with the basic information for a successful marine tank. Maintaining the right water parameters is just 1 of the many factors, there are alot of factors like proper cycling, patience, etc..

Basically, you just need to maintain the water parameters at the following levels:
Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:Low, preferably below 25ppm, ideally 0 but usually not possible
pH: Around 8.3

There is alot to learn about marine tanks before you should even start buying equipment as equipment needed varies from setup to setup and some are even not useful in marine.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:17 AM   #3
ostrava

Sorry bro to post my question on clown fish in ur thread, juz wanna know is it a muz to put anemone for clown fish to thrive in a marine setup? Are they very territorial?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:51 PM   #4
KaLiB

Clownfish maybe territorial depending on specie. Maroon clown is know to be relatively aggressive. Even peaceful species can turn rather aggressive.

My false percular clownfish(know to be quite peaceful) was aggressive to my damsel. Behaviour can vary from fish to fish.

Anemones are not needed for clownfish to thrive. They only form symbiotic relationships with the clownfish. Clownfish brings food for the anemone, anemone protects them. Its a common misconception that clownfishes must be kept with anemones since we always seem them together with anemones.

I have successfully kept my false percula clownfish for at least 3yrs without an anemone. In fact, i find having without an anemone is better. Its very difficult to keep an anemone and a dead one can cause a successful tank to crash quickly.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
supersmurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrava
Sorry bro to post my question on clown fish in ur thread, juz wanna know is it a muz to put anemone for clown fish to thrive in a marine setup? Are they very territorial?
Anemone not easy to keep.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #6
alanzzz
Arofanatic

Default very detail

i think i will stick to fresh water fishes, thanks for the information
alanzzz is offline   Reply With Quote