Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 10-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
biljas
Arofanatic

Default Can keep Guppies Outdoor?

Can guppies survive outdoor under direct sun from morning to noon?

What about platies?

Thinking of getting a 6 feet by 3 feet by 1 feet FGT to house them.

Can height go below 1 feet say around 8-10 inches?

May put some floating plants as shelter.

Thanks to advice
Biljas
biljas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #2
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

your guppies got GCB to live in... Lucky them! I'd say yes, but you might wanna have some sort of netting cover. Otherwise they may just become some heron's meal or snack.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Shirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
your guppies got GCB to live in... Lucky them! I'd say yes, but you might wanna have some sort of netting cover. Otherwise they may just become some heron's meal or snack.
Cover with net = spoil the beauty of the tank.

Just put floating plants will do.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:34 AM   #4
mnoor
Arofanatic

The set back to keeping guppies outdoor in fgt is that you can't see their beauty and if they are sick e.g. fungus at fins or body, you wont be able to detect it early. But that is what most commercial breeders way of keeping the guppies - outdoor with black or green netted cloth as shade to prevent from the scourching sun and too much algae growth.

As for height of the water, 10" should be o.k. but you can always review it to get the correct height. Almost forgotten, due to the size of fgt, feeding should always be at same spot. Random spots may result the food not being eaten as the guppies didn't see the food when u feed them. unless of course u have hundreds of the guppies in the fgt, then it should be o.k.

If u have tried this method, do let us know the result. I'll be very glad to hear from you.

Last edited by mnoor; 11-08-2011 at 06:45 AM.
mnoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #5
jest1081
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley View Post
Cover with net = spoil the beauty of the tank.

Just put floating plants will do.
wah! long time never see you post here. lately alot of legends are coming out! CH, trev to name a few. great to hav you back too!

yup go for frogbits n money plants good denitrator too.

Last edited by jest1081; 11-08-2011 at 08:27 AM.
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:03 PM   #6
Shirley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jest1081 View Post
wah! long time never see you post here. lately alot of legends are coming out! CH, trev to name a few. great to hav you back too!

yup go for frogbits n money plants good denitrator too.

Good or Bad that I reappeared?

Anyway just think that the whole deco of the FGT will be ruined by the netting.... not about the guppies inside...
Old 11-08-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
jest1081
Dragon

good lah! hahaha
still guppying?
jest1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #8
biljas
Arofanatic

Thanks to all the wonderful advices!!

You have a valid point "MNOOR" with regards to not being able to appreciate the beauty of Guppies in FGT. Any suggestions on what other easy maintenance fishes that "look good" when viewed from the top?

Platies is one option i can think of. What else? Not too big fishes as i want to maintain the bio load low so as to reduce maintenance. Most probably will have a small water feature in the FGT to add to the ambience.

BTW, FGT should use black color??

Cheers
Biljas
Old 11-08-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Aris
Arofanatic

I assume you are not interested really in viewing the fish so any fish does not matter in an FGT. If viewing is important than goldfish or koi are the ones you want. Guppies, platies or even bettas should be fine with little bioload. As you probably want to have floating plants to keep the heat out, there is less for you to see from above but as a mini-pond with plants it can be pretty. The easiest will be guppies or platies and they are a dime a dozen if there is no intention to line breed. They are hardy, able to withstand temperature changes well and breeds well.
Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
biljas
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
I assume you are not interested really in viewing the fish so any fish does not matter in an FGT. If viewing is important than goldfish or koi are the ones you want. Guppies, platies or even bettas should be fine with little bioload. As you probably want to have floating plants to keep the heat out, there is less for you to see from above but as a mini-pond with plants it can be pretty. The easiest will be guppies or platies and they are a dime a dozen if there is no intention to line breed. They are hardy, able to withstand temperature changes well and breeds well.

Thanks Aris.....i was thinking of goldfish too but not sure whether they can withstand the outdoor heat. The pond will be located at a partly sheltered area that will have morning sun till noon and after that totally no sun.

What about golden mollies, swordtails??