Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 02-04-2008, 02:14 PM   #1
Emmanuel
Arofanatic

Default surface skimmer and eheim double taps

may i know what is the use of surface skimmer ? is it suppose to "suck" the layer of oil on top of the water surface ? if so, how come my tank still got 1 layer of oil film.

and btw, what is the use of eheim double tap. until now, i still blur blur. plug it in but never seems useful in any way.
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Aquaticculture

The protein not being sucked up is probably due not enough power from the filter. It can be easily solved via causing 'disturbance' to the water surface; fan is a good example or when it becomes unsightly, insert an operational air stone halfway. It'll clear in a matter of minutes.

I believe the double tap you're referring is to distribute the outlets of the water so as there isn't dead spots. If your filter isn't strong enough to suck up the protein, I don't think you'll be able to appreciate the power of the outflow.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Emmanuel
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaticculture View Post
The protein not being sucked up is probably due not enough power from the filter. It can be easily solved via causing 'disturbance' to the water surface; fan is a good example or when it becomes unsightly, insert an operational air stone halfway. It'll clear in a matter of minutes.

I believe the double tap you're referring is to distribute the outlets of the water so as there isn't dead spots. If your filter isn't strong enough to suck up the protein, I don't think you'll be able to appreciate the power of the outflow.
but i'm using eheim 2217 for a 2ft tank. still not consider strong enough meh ?

hmm.. but think again.. maybe old liao ba

the double tap don't think is used to distribute the outlets . is like 1 adapter connected to the outflow part dan connect again with pipe. dan a rain bar. within the tap. got 2 control valve 1. or maybe thats not call double tap ?
Emmanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #4
striker78
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmanuel View Post
but i'm using eheim 2217 for a 2ft tank. still not consider strong enough meh ?

hmm.. but think again.. maybe old liao ba

the double tap don't think is used to distribute the outlets . is like 1 adapter connected to the outflow part dan connect again with pipe. dan a rain bar. within the tap. got 2 control valve 1. or maybe thats not call double tap ?
YES the double valve is not used for distribution purposes...
It main function is to facilitate a QUICK release..
striker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
cheetf
Dragon

Quote:
may i know what is the use of surface skimmer ? is it suppose to "suck" the layer of oil on top of the water surface ? if so, how come my tank still got 1 layer of oil film.

and btw, what is the use of eheim double tap. until now, i still blur blur. plug it in but never seems useful in any way.
Did you turn the top to adjust the amount of suction?
cheetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #6
ngphon

Quote:

the top picture is a surface skimmer and the lower picture shows a double tap.the double tap is meant for joint two hose together.so if you need to do maintance or wash and etc.you can just unscrew the middle section of it.then water will not flow out.

Last edited by ngphon; 12-08-2008 at 11:31 PM. Reason: add