Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox

Old 21-09-2017, 12:24 AM   #11
hkh
Arofanatic

Very sad.......especially when the Mother said she cried till no tears liao.......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #12
Robson
Arofanatic

Read that SAF arranged for his 19yo Sister to receive His body in Australia. Only 19yo, hope she won't be traumatised by this episode for life.
Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 12:41 AM   #13
Freshman
Dragon

sadz.... RIP
Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:00 AM   #14
stargazer
Dragon

Default Late National Serviceman Gavin Chan honoured for volunteerism

Some 130 guests observed a solemn minute of silence in honour of the late Third Sergeant (3SG) Gavin Chan at the annual YMCA-Lim Kim San Volunteer Awards Night on Friday (26 January).

The late full-time national serviceman, an active volunteer with the YMCA from 2011 to 2014, had previously been presented with a Special Mention Award for his efforts at the YMCA-Lim Kim San Volunteer Awards Night in 2014.

The minute of silence, held at the YMCA of Singapore’s headquarters’ Lee Kong Chian auditorium during the award ceremony, was accompanied by a snippet of “Amazing Grace” performed by the Pipes and Drums of The Boy’s Brigade.

It was preceded by a photo montage of Chan’s achievements as a YMCA volunteer.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Paying homage to Chan in her speech, Member of Parliament for Tanjong Pagar GRC Joan Pereira said: “We honour the memory of the late Gavin Chan, as a leader and role model who has devoted his talent, time and own personal resources to benefit the community around him.”

His parents Desmond Chan, 50, an airline cargo manager, and Lim Teck Kheng, 51, a customer service officer and three younger siblings, aged 20, 16 and 10, were present at the ceremony.

“After attending the event, I’m so touched that he contributed to the society so much, even I myself cannot do that,” said Desmond Chan. “He liked to take care of others and (social work) was his passion.”

On 15 September last year, Chan was participating in Exercise Wallaby at the Shoalwater Bay Training Area in Queensland, Australia, when a Bionix infantry fighting vehicle he was guiding out of difficult terrain landed on its side.

The driver and two other passengers travelling in the vehicle were unhurt. Chan, however, was left unconscious by the accident.

The 21-year-old later succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead on the same day at Rockhampton Hospital. Eight days later, he was given a military funeral and cremated at Mandai Crematorium.

The YMCA-Lim Kim San Volunteers programme was started in 2007 to groom volunteers and promote corporate volunteerism. This year, over 80 individuals, corporations and institutions were recognised for their outstanding contributions to the YMCA through their voluntary services.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #15
hkh
Arofanatic

RIP......Gavin
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 06:49 PM   #16
Arosub
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazer View Post
Must wait for SAF to investigate.

I was there many yrs ago, terrain very different. 1st night reached the camp already got NSF unit M113 overturned into a drain.
Sounds like we were in the same place ....at the same time? Was it 99 or 2000?
Arosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 11:25 PM   #17
stargazer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arosub View Post
Sounds like we were in the same place ....at the same time? Was it 99 or 2000?
Dun recall liao. Think between 98 to 2000. My old unit was 413 SAR. Joined the old birds just after I ord. I must say I enjoyed my stint there. Lots of commaraderie.
stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote