Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 09-05-2017, 04:00 PM   #11
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutx View Post
Very well said!

but it's the Hard Truth!
I'm quite quite surprised that in today's day and time, there are those who want to harp on the nitty gritty stuff eg Days of leave, OT for 1 hour can claim, need to come back on weekend (only once) how to claim, why cannot use company wifi at work when their very jobs are at risk.

There are those who say - eh, you very song hor.. sit office time up can go home... But what they DUN SEE.. is us reading up stuff in our free time - New employment act, new ways of work, any changes in the environment, new technology etc etc etc...

And of coz.. Sat/Sun my laptop is always home. In case of emergency, just on and ready to roll.

I make it a point to keep myself in the gossip so when anyone forget to inform me of anything.... I'll be ready for last min changes.

We need to be on our toes to make ourself valuable to our companies.
Else ppl pay you for wad....Pay u money many many ask u sit there shake leg meh..

P.S. it is precisely with technology tat we can type here and do work at the same time.. coz using technology, we reduce the time to do the normal stuff and can waste time doin outside stuff..... which increase our own productivity to ourselves but not to company la...
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:26 PM   #12
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Retrain and reinvent oneself to stay relevant in times of restructuring and realignments so that we don't become redundant.
Tough times ...
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:00 PM   #13
LauLanChu
Dragon

There are jobs almost irreplaceable by robots:-

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/5-job...38zFp5W1iC1TM1
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:56 PM   #14
hkh
Arofanatic

Plus those in Geylang......
hkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #15
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
There are jobs almost irreplaceable by robots:-

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/5-job...38zFp5W1iC1TM1
Let me help by copy and paste.

Den very simple... look at getting yourself skilled in the below jobs.
See how u can make it to the list.

To be honest, I'm really seriously lookin at the idea of takin up a certification in early childhood.... for retirement plan. HAHA
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week, I compiled a list of the 5 jobs robots will take first. Today, let’s have a go at the 5 jobs robots will take last. For this article only, let’s define “robots” as technologies, such as machine learning algorithms running on purpose-built computer platforms, that have been trained to perform tasks that currently require humans to perform.

Understanding How Humans Work

Almost every human job requires us to perform some combination of the following four basic types of tasks:

Manual repetitive (predictable)
Manual nonrepetitive (not predictable)
Cognitive repetitive (predictable)
Cognitive nonrepetitive (not predictable)
For example, an assembly line worker performs mostly manual repetitive tasks which, depending on complexity and a cost/benefit analysis, can be automated. A CEO of a major multinational conglomerate performs mostly cognitive nonrepetitive tasks which are much harder to automate. So, the trucking and taxi industries are in for a big shakeup; c-suite corporate management, not so much.

Thinking About the Future of Work

Make no mistake: at some level, every job can (and will) be done by machine. It is not a question of if; it is just a question of when. You’re going to push back now and tell me how different humans are from machines and how long it will actually take for all of this to happen. Stop. Read Can Machines Really Learn? for a primer in machine learning. Then read AlphaGo vs. You: Not a Fair Fight to understand what is happening and why you should care about it. If you’re still not convinced, have a look at What Will You Do After White-Collar Work?. It will help put all of this in perspective.

That said, there are some jobs that will be exceptionally difficult for AI to do subjectively better than humans. This is not an arbitrary list. Each of the following jobs requires a unique combination of human intuition, reasoning, empathy and emotion, which is why it will be difficult for an AI system to train for them.

As you will see, the last jobs that robots will take share a common thread: humanity.

1. Pre-school and Elementary School Teacher

Unless we are trying to turn our children into little computers, we cannot let computers train our children. (“Singularity” people, I know what you’re going to say. The Kurzweilian future is now estimated to begin in the year 2045. There will have to be a minimum age law associated with human/machine integration.) I can imagine a robot kneeling beside a sobbing five-year-old (who just figured out that his mom packed PB&J instead of a bologna sandwich) and offering comfort and a shoulder to cry on, but the robot is unlikely to provide an emotionally satisfying outcome. We teach our children to be human. If we want them to grow up to be human, they will have to be trained by their own kind.

2. Professional Athlete

Would football be interesting if it were played by robots? Maybe. Would it be fair to put human athletes on the field of play against robots? Probably not. Using today’s regulation clubs and balls, robot golfers would consistently shoot in the high 40s to low 50s. What’s the point? As long as humans strive for athletic excellence, humans will need to play sports. What about surgically enhanced, genetically modified athletes? That’s for another article.

3. Politician

Politics and humanity are inextricably linked. The complex mix of subtlety and nuance required to become a successful politician is not in the current purview of AI. It’s a training set that would require a level of general intelligence that is far beyond the reach of near-term technology. Machines do not need politics; they “live” in a meritocracy. Humans live in anything but. As long as fairness and equality are important topics, humans will be the only ones on the political scene. Some of you will remind me that all politicians have the same goal: to get reelected. And therefore, politicians should be very easy to program. Nope. Sadly, politicians will be among the very last professionals to lose their jobs to AI. (They are also in a unique position to legislate their own job security.)

4. Judge

Judges, adjudicators, arbitrators, and people who judge baking contests or Olympic sports or any type of contests that require both objective and subjective assessments have practically robot-proof jobs. Subjective judgment requires vast general knowledge. It also requires a thorough understanding of the ramifications of your decisions and, most importantly, a precise ability to play “I know, that you know, that I know” with the parties who are directly involved, as well as the public at large. If you can make a living judging baking contests, you’ve got lifetime job security (as long as you don’t eat too many pies).

5. Mental Health Professional

Psychologists, psychiatrists, and other mental health professionals will simply be the last jobs robots can take. Sure, we could do a combination natural language understanding, automatic speech recognition system tied to a competent AI system that would make a fine suicide prevention chatbot. But there’s much more to understanding and treating mental health issues. Again, humans are better equipped to understand other humans. This is not to say that medical professionals won’t leverage AI systems to do a better job, but the ability to create a robot that could take the job of a trusted psychiatrist will be outside of our technical reach until we have functioning WestWorld-style robots. And even then, it will be a reach.

Not on the List: Artist (Dancer, Painter, Musician, Singer)

I have intentionally left artist, writ large, off this list. The artist is a good subject for another article. Suffice it to say, technology has already had a huge impact on the economics of the arts. And, as much as I would like to tell you otherwise, none of these jobs are anywhere near safe.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:26 AM   #16
satan_gal
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkh View Post
Plus those in Geylang......
try again.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...onalities.html

Barcelona has already started replacing the human touch.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0d2821b4cddb8
Old 13-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #17
globalcookie
Dragon

Labour Day 2017

Lim Tean

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

15% of Singaporean household earning $1,000 or lesser, below the poverty line! Goodness! Didn't expect the figure to be so high! I was just making a wild guess of 5%.

Dr Paul Tambyah

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
Homester
Senior Dragon

I believe rather than retraining to stay employable, I would rather the market to provide more job opportunities for HUMAN in the first place, then for technologies.

Reason being, if there is only a handful of jobs available but there are masses of applicants, the competition is stiff not to mention competition faced from technology as well as fellow humans.
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 12:53 PM   #19
LauLanChu
Dragon

Gov should crack their heads how to create High pay jobs for Sgpoerean. Those low salary 1 - 2 K nobody wants to take up as deemed wasting their times, and not able to support the std of living in Sg. They would rather do sales like insurance or property agent, drive taxi or uber/grab. Those low salary are filled up by foreigner instead. Recently Mac is employing massive and we see how successful they are.

People can talk and talk, complaining, but people without the right skill set or qualification and don't bother to go for upgrade how to command a higher salary. High pay easy job don't come easy, and we got to earn it.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #20
Homester
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
Gov should crack their heads how to create High pay jobs for Sgpoerean. Those low salary 1 - 2 K nobody wants to take up as deemed wasting their times, and not able to support the std of living in Sg. They would rather do sales like insurance or property agent, drive taxi or uber/grab. Those low salary are filled up by foreigner instead. Recently Mac is employing massive and we see how successful they are.

People can talk and talk, complaining, but people without the right skill set or qualification and don't bother to go for upgrade how to command a higher salary. High pay easy job don't come easy, and we got to earn it.
Bottom line is standard of living is too high to maintain. How many jobs with higher salaries can there be ? The only high Pays are the management level and how many job vacancies there are ? N how many of these high paying jobs are held by locals ?
Homester is offline   Reply With Quote