Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascapers Equipment, DIY and Hardware

Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
Marcusy

ok just add the media in

-------
wool
-------
biohm plus
-------
Mr aqua Ceramic ring
-------
Sponge

hope i get the tray rite....

and now wait for few day see how it goes
Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM   #12
Marcusy

so how should i get the AC? if get can i just put in the tank rather then in the canister let the water clear up then take it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
yup. but i would choose using filter media to clear them instead of dosing any unkown liquid.
another way is to buy AC aka actived carbon. if im not wrong. it is use to clear cloudy water and also smelly smell.
charcoal bits brand from GeX is a good AC.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM   #13
Marcusy

is it because of the crystal clear tat cause the KH to drop? btw wat ur media? does the sera crystal clear harm the media?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagore View Post
just to share. i just washed my filter. added KH+ to 3
then aerate and pour 1 cap of sera crystal clear.
now whole tank is clear.
remember kh must be 3 or your PH will drop to the ground
Old 10-10-2007, 08:45 PM   #14
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcusy View Post
so how should i get the AC? if get can i just put in the tank rather then in the canister let the water clear up then take it out?
can go NA and buy.
ask mr.chan for AC aka actived carbon. ask for the GeX brand one. if im not wrong thats charcoal bits inside. yes you can put in your tank for 1 day and take out after that
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:47 PM   #15
Marcusy

ok tks kekek tomorrow then go buy kekek btw how much ? so i will not get con keke
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionZ View Post
can go NA and buy.
ask mr.chan for AC aka actived carbon. ask for the GeX brand one. if im not wrong thats charcoal bits inside. yes you can put in your tank for 1 day and take out after that
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 PM   #16
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

i will pm you about the price =)
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 06:06 PM   #17
Mark Tan

From your post, I will diagnose that your water codition is cause by your lapis sand. They are most likely are suspend dirt and even fine minerals that lighter that water. To take away them you need mechanical filter to do the job.
To what I understand BB had very little do with this kind of problems. What BB do is biological filtration. They take ammonia as food and convert them to nitrite and second stage BB convert nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate is use by plant or water change to reduces them.
Active carbon are part of chemical filtration. It will take colouration and smell in your water but it will also take away the nutrients for BB. Put in for one day is OK to take away smell and colouration. You will see improvement in your water.
Remember that Active carbon are actually wood that treat under high temperature, they had fine cracks and holes on them and this will help to trap the fine suspend dirt and others, but again should falls under mechanical filtration.
For BB to grow in your system, you need some kind of comtamination to produce ammonia for BB to kick off. There are hobbist that put in cheap fish in the cycling stage to speed up the process. In your new tank there will be a few stages where your BB built up. First ammonio spike, the BB will start to grow, When ammonia start to lower because BB had bult up enough to convert them to nitrite and nitrite will start to built up. The second kind of BB will kick in to convert them to nitrate.
This process take quite some time for them to fully mature, some believe to be 3 to 6 months.
Adding AC into the system is likely for a bio-overload. Some will advice to put it infront of filtration system some will advice behind. To me depend on what your objective. When puting in front for buffering when your bio system is already there but not fully mature. As you know that AC when new it more absorbent, it will block more waste when it ages more waste will be able to get pass them. This give the bio system time to adjust to the increase in bio load. When add behind mean the bio system is fully mature but cannot handle the bio load and a temp. measure to prevent disaster happen, will the still need a solution to rectify problems.
Putting filter media into filter system, like CR, Biohome for the BB to grow will helps to clear the water but its not the work of BB.
There is no way a BB system to be fully up in 2 weeks even you add those BB solution, anyway BB convert tonic waste to less tonic waste, they don,t eat dirt. Remember those CR or biohome had fine holes on them, they are the one who trap the suspend dirt. This is a mechanical process.
Adding of chemical liquid that help to clear the water whether Geo liquid or Seachem prime, they exaclty chemical react with the suspect unknown things in the water. They either bond with them or change them into other compound which are bigger or denser so that they will easier to trap with the mechanical filter or sink to the bottom of the tank. They are not magic water they don't make things disappear.
As for the above is what I believe is correct and true within my limited knowledge. If there is any untrue please help to correct me. My sincere Thanks
As for this chemical liquid, whether they harm the fishes or BB,
I really can't answer, I had tested it with my plant tank and fishes inside it and did not discover any ill effects and as for the bros that post on the seachem product, he did tested it too himself as in his post.
I still believe that if you had the patient don't add anything chemical and wait for it to clear up by itself is better. Those things are for impatience people like me.
Sorry for assuming you to be as impetience as me.
My apology.
Best regards
Old 11-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #18
tagore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tan View Post
From your post, I will diagnose that your water codition is cause by your lapis sand. They are most likely are suspend dirt and even fine minerals that lighter that water. To take away them you need mechanical filter to do the job.
To what I understand BB had very little do with this kind of problems. What BB do is biological filtration. They take ammonia as food and convert them to nitrite and second stage BB convert nitrite to nitrate. Nitrate is use by plant or water change to reduces them.
Active carbon are part of chemical filtration. It will take colouration and smell in your water but it will also take away the nutrients for BB. Put in for one day is OK to take away smell and colouration. You will see improvement in your water.
Remember that Active carbon are actually wood that treat under high temperature, they had fine cracks and holes on them and this will help to trap the fine suspend dirt and others, but again should falls under mechanical filtration.
For BB to grow in your system, you need some kind of comtamination to produce ammonia for BB to kick off. There are hobbist that put in cheap fish in the cycling stage to speed up the process. In your new tank there will be a few stages where your BB built up. First ammonio spike, the BB will start to grow, When ammonia start to lower because BB had bult up enough to convert them to nitrite and nitrite will start to built up. The second kind of BB will kick in to convert them to nitrate.
This process take quite some time for them to fully mature, some believe to be 3 to 6 months.
Adding AC into the system is likely for a bio-overload. Some will advice to put it infront of filtration system some will advice behind. To me depend on what your objective. When puting in front for buffering when your bio system is already there but not fully mature. As you know that AC when new it more absorbent, it will block more waste when it ages more waste will be able to get pass them. This give the bio system time to adjust to the increase in bio load. When add behind mean the bio system is fully mature but cannot handle the bio load and a temp. measure to prevent disaster happen, will the still need a solution to rectify problems.
Putting filter media into filter system, like CR, Biohome for the BB to grow will helps to clear the water but its not the work of BB.
There is no way a BB system to be fully up in 2 weeks even you add those BB solution, anyway BB convert tonic waste to less tonic waste, they don,t eat dirt. Remember those CR or biohome had fine holes on them, they are the one who trap the suspend dirt. This is a mechanical process.
Adding of chemical liquid that help to clear the water whether Geo liquid or Seachem prime, they exaclty chemical react with the suspect unknown things in the water. They either bond with them or change them into other compound which are bigger or denser so that they will easier to trap with the mechanical filter or sink to the bottom of the tank. They are not magic water they don't make things disappear.
As for the above is what I believe is correct and true within my limited knowledge. If there is any untrue please help to correct me. My sincere Thanks
I really can't answer, I had tested it with my plant tank and fishes inside it and did not discover any ill effects and as for the bros that post on the seachem product, he did tested it too himself as in his post.
I still believe that if you had the patient don't add anything chemical and wait for it to clear up by itself is better. Those things are for impatience people like me.
My apology.
Best regards
thanks for sharing
Old 11-10-2007, 07:47 PM   #19
Marcusy

tks bro mark actually me abit quite impatience liao me have put in some fishes in already .think me wait a few day more and see how if still the same then the chemical will be use actual me use the poeder b4 also so far so gd just tat dont knoe it wil harm the biohom tat my main worry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Tan View Post
My apology.
Best regards
Old 11-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
Mark Tan

I believe you setting up a plant tank, at this monent I don't thing there any BB for to harm. Adding cheap fish in will help to speed up the BB process.
Your biohome will definitely trap up some dirt and those suspend particles in the water and get dirty but than media that are puted into the filter are susppose to get dirty. I do not know whether getting dirty is consider harm?
I choose to use Geo liquid for plant the last time is that I know what I am doing and had weighed the cons. I do not recommend it, it just another option or the last option. Anyway for your information Geo liquid is from Japan.
They have liquid for marine, fresh water fish and plant. They claim that in the solution are actually natural mineral. Mineral rocks and sand collect from the natural enviorments and grind them into power. all the thing in the solution are minerals that are found in the natural water sources.
I personally think that although the solution is natural minerals but still they must have done some chemical treatment to them, if not how they are able bond the same types of minerals together. This is why I choose them, they did not convert the particles into other compond, only bond the same type into bigger and heavier particles for the filter to do the job. I must say that even they convert into other compond I am not able to tell, is about how much trust you have in Japanese product.
Best regards