Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 25-01-2016, 12:59 AM   #1
planter
Arofanatic

Default Newbie on ranchus

Hi guys, I just started keeping ranchus and I need some advise from the experts here. Some intro about myself on fish keeping. I have been keeping fish for about 20 over years, I started with parrot fish then planted tanks and the last 10 years I been keeping aros. This is first time I keeping goldfish or ranchus in my fish keeping journey, I hope bros here can help and give advise to a ranchu newbie here. Firstly lets start with water, I know aging water is important but for ranchu, which requires water change frequently. How long do we need to age water? I intend to have water change every other day with only 30%. With this routine, I will only be aging the water for 2 days is it good enough?
P.S. I am keeping 3 ranchus in a 2ft tank with only sponge filter.
planter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 02:02 AM   #2
patclay
Dragon

It's good enough. Feeding needs to exercise cautions. Don't feed too much otherwise the water will turn fowl quite soon.
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #3
planter
Arofanatic

Thanks Patclay for the advise. The next question is about food. Should I get floating or sinking pallets for them. I remember I read from somewhere floating pallets may cause swim bladder problem ?
Old 25-01-2016, 08:55 PM   #4
dafei

Quote:
Originally Posted by planter View Post
Thanks Patclay for the advise. The next question is about food. Should I get floating or sinking pallets for them. I remember I read from somewhere floating pallets may cause swim bladder problem ?
Use sinking pallets. Hikari not bad.
dafei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:13 AM   #5
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

bro, good water parameters is fundamental

I have been performing wc daily for my comets

Last edited by streetsmart73; 26-01-2016 at 11:14 AM.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 12:32 PM   #6
kitsilano

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planter View Post
Hi guys, I just started keeping ranchus and I need some advise from the experts here. Some intro about myself on fish keeping. I have been keeping fish for about 20 over years, I started with parrot fish then planted tanks and the last 10 years I been keeping aros. This is first time I keeping goldfish or ranchus in my fish keeping journey, I hope bros here can help and give advise to a ranchu newbie here. Firstly lets start with water, I know aging water is important but for ranchu, which requires water change frequently. How long do we need to age water? I intend to have water change every other day with only 30%. With this routine, I will only be aging the water for 2 days is it good enough?
P.S. I am keeping 3 ranchus in a 2ft tank with only sponge filter.
I think some of the old theories of fish keeping can forgo liao...with improvement especially in the quality of water conditioner, We don't have to age water any longer!!

Hope this help provide some basic guide and happy ranchu keeping!!

Use a good water conditioner and there are so many good ones in the market and most important is to make sure the temperature between the old water and new water is the same....the old dirty water which the fishes living in and the fresh water that you intend to change them into is of the same temperature.

Also please note that continuous everyday change water is not the right way to keep ranchu. The water with all its content from the interaction between water and its inhabitants especially the wastes excreted have a cycle....between fresh new water, slightly soiled which is very good for ranchu development and after that "X" period of time water is too soiled and become bad for the ranchu. Understanding the fish water will make fishkeeping easier and fishes healthier.

Btw 2 ft tank you cannot keep too many ranchus...2 or 3 pieces okay and 2 ft tank is an affordable and easy way to experiment and manage ranchu keeping....yes just a sponge filter will do.
kitsilano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 04:10 PM   #7
planter
Arofanatic

Thank Kitsilano for your advise. I too used water conditioner but I still age water, maybe old habit die hard. I have the same theory, I always believed that water change cannot be more than 50%. Too drastic shift in water parameters due to massive water change may cause more harm than good. That's why I do 30% water change every 2 to 3 days
Old 26-01-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
Heuer
Dragon

goldfish is able to take 100% WC as long you get the temp and parameters right.
Heuer is offline   Reply With Quote