Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum

Old 15-01-2007, 10:26 AM   #1
AroMem

Default Injecting CO2 into pump?

I have read numerous ways of dissolving CO2 into the water including using glass diffuser,flipper and CO2 reactors. I know glass diffuser or flipper not as effective as reactors.
One bro told me he injects CO2 directly into his Eheim filter. Seems logical. However, i am using an overhead filter and think of just letting the CO2 being stuck into the pump head.
Can someone share his experience if this method has worked? Thanks.
Old 15-01-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
mtanec

so long u allow the CO2 to travel through a tube to the filter, the longer the tube, the more CO2 is dissolved..

1 thing to take note.. if CO2 is not well dissolved, especially for canister filter like Eheim, it will cause the filter motor to wear off faster as CO2 is trapped in his filter..

another thing to note for your case, using over head filter is not a recommended setup when CO2 is injected into the tank.. CO2 will escape especially when water is sprayed onto the filter bed before going back into the tank..
Old 15-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #3
AroMem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtanec View Post
so long u allow the CO2 to travel through a tube to the filter, the longer the tube, the more CO2 is dissolved..

1 thing to take note.. if CO2 is not well dissolved, especially for canister filter like Eheim, it will cause the filter motor to wear off faster as CO2 is trapped in his filter..

another thing to note for your case, using over head filter is not a recommended setup when CO2 is injected into the tank.. CO2 will escape especially when water is sprayed onto the filter bed before going back into the tank..
Think you agree with me that the CO2 will dissolve as it travels through the tube. Will the CO2 "escape" when the water sprays onto the filter bed once they were dissolved??
Old 15-01-2007, 11:49 AM   #4
burntrubber
Dragon

The co2 will come out as a bubble from your source. As you suggest, it will be sucked into the pump and dissolved into the water. go through the filter and released back into the tank.

There is not enough time for the co2 bubble to dissolve. As mentioned, the co2 bubble will damage the pump impeller in the long run. Meanwhile it will simply escape into the atmosphere when it is dumped on the filter bed of your OHF.
burntrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2007, 11:56 AM   #5
mtanec

if the bubble is small enough and pipeline is long enough, CO2 will dissolve well.. but CO2 will escape if using OHF.. for cannister, it is a better choice at the risk of damaged head if undissolved CO2 accumulate around the head...
Old 15-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #6
AroMem

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtanec View Post
if the bubble is small enough and pipeline is long enough, CO2 will dissolve well.. but CO2 will escape if using OHF.. for cannister, it is a better choice at the risk of damaged head if undissolved CO2 accumulate around the head...
The bubbles going into my pump is small to begin with cos they are from the glass diffuser. Even so, I cannot imagine how the bubbles can accumulate ard the head considering how fast the impeller rotates inside the pump. Hmm.

Once dissolved, can the CO2 escape so easily? Seems two Bros think so.
So if someone using a cannister but spray bar at its output, then the outcome will be the same too, right?
Thanks...
Old 15-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #7
the_r0ck

Don't use the OHF if you are not comfortable with it.

You can get an extra internal pump and a glass diffusor. Set the pump to direct its output right at the glass diffusor so as to spread the CO2 bubbles around. In tests done by Tom Barr, the CO2 bubbles itself are actually beneficial to the plants. 100% dissolve rate might not always be the best solution.

I myself am using a ceramic diffusor with stupendous results and so have many others.

-Calvin
Old 16-01-2007, 03:02 AM   #8
chuaclarence

one thing not so zai about OHF is that it doesnt create a water current like an outlet pipe does, which some fish and plants like. maybe u invest in a canister filter? personally i just feed my inlet tube with small CO2 bubbles. plants do pearl.

agree with calvin anyway, ceramic diffuser per se rocks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Claraquaria Water Gardening
Aquarium & Terrarium Set Up Concepts
Do visit claraquaria.com.sg
10% discount for forum users!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 17-01-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
AroMem

Thumbs up Conclusion

Thanks for all your comments. I will now put the diffusor at the output of filter. Dun think will invest on a canister. Not as yet.