Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 21-09-2014, 12:23 PM   #1
rednude

Default marine pure biofilter media

Hi all. Have u all used this media by marine pure? Need your opinions and advice. I am currently using biohome and seachem matrix. I am thinking of upgrading my current medias (seachem matrix) to marine pure biofilter media due to my fishes bioload.
Old 21-09-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
craz
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednude View Post
Hi all. Have u all used this media by marine pure? Need your opinions and advice. I am currently using biohome and seachem matrix. I am thinking of upgrading my current medias (seachem matrix) to marine pure biofilter media due to my fishes bioload.
Yes I am trying them out but with a mixture of other medias as well. Bought some from JZX thoae in cube kind at $2 per block.
craz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 04:37 PM   #3
rednude

How big is a block?
Old 21-09-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
desmondpeh
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednude View Post
How big is a block?
18 cubes filled a tray of Mr Aqua stackable OHF.
desmondpeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
Zozo
Dragon

Can marine pure handle higher bio load than bio home?
Zozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 08:09 PM   #6
jyee
Arofanatic

Advise from jzx boss, not necessary to get until 18pcs per box.
15 pcs shud sufficient, bcuz normal the side of mr aqua tray water normal can't reach there
So can save some $ there. Haha

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
jyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 09:53 PM   #7
llewellyn
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
Can marine pure handle higher bio load than bio home?

My thoughts are exactly like yours until I ve read their introduction/explanations on useable surface.

Surface area- high numbers alone do not make better quality water
In my 10+ years In the aquatics industry designing and building things from single tank display systems to filtration systems for stores, hatcheries, breeding facilities, retail establishments, aquaculture systems, live seafood holding systems and oceanariums, I have seen literally hundreds of different sorts of medias applied in dozens of different ways.
The main thing with any media when it comes to efficiency and quality is surface area, and this doesn't just mean the number on the box. A term you won't hear or see very often in "USABLE" surface area. And this is the most important factor when choosing and applying any media for biological filtration. Weather you are using a fluidized bed filter, trickle filter, or submersed static filter, it is the amount of surface area that is able to be utilized on a consistent basis in a mature bio filter that is the number one concern.
Below is a comparison of the most popular and highest surface area medias on the market compared to CerMedia's MarinePure, when I first compared these I wanted to put MarinePure to the test against the best and most widely used medias. All numbers have been converted and expressed as square meters of surface area per liter of media
Bioballs - the highest surface area rating of bioballs available is 500m2 per cubic meter. This is equal to 0.5m2 per liter.
Sintered glass - Matrix (700m2 per litre) Siporax (270m2 per liter, represents the noodle category and would be the most efficient noodle on the market), Eheim Substrate Pro (450m2 per liter)
Out of all these medias, Matrix is the highest. And so this was used as the comparison.
MarinePure 1.5" sphere (suitable for both nitrification and de-nitrification) 435m2 per litre
Surface area as a function of usable surface area
I outlined above that "usable" surface area in a "mature" biofilter is what is most important. In a matured biofilter system, biofilms in and on the media surface become thicker, mulm builds up between filter cleans on the outside of the media and in the media structure and as the media matures, more complex and diverse colonies of all manor of bacteria and microorganisms build up in the system and especially on the biological media surface's.
Two very important things are needed for a biological filter to function for nitrification (removal of ammonia and nitrite)
Oxygen
water flow (for de-nitrification, in most cases oxygen is not needed and denitrifying bacteria will not usually grow in oxygen rich environments, but the de-nitrifying bacteria still need water flow to bring them the nitrate to feed on)
As these mulm and bacteria deposits build up, they clog the pores of the biological media, suffocating bacteria and reducing the usable surface area. When this happens, a great deal of the surface area advertised (depending on how clean the water is prior to entering the biological media, and how frequently the filter is cleaned and the biological media flushed) is lost to, well, lets not sugar coat it, crud building up on, and in the media.
Essentially, in a mature biofilter, only the surface area on the outside of the media is really usable in most circumstances, unless the media has some way to stay clean, flush mulm and flush old inefficient layers of biofilm.
Bioballs, will very rarely clog, but only has aerobic biofilms colonizing its surface area as it has no internal pore structure to utilize for de-nitrification.
Sintered glass medias will not appear to clog (apart from visible mulm deposits) but as biofilms build up, the internal pore structure not only gets blocked, but as internal flow is reduced, any bacteria that may be residing in the internal structure of the media cannot get oxygen or water flow to bring the waste to it that it is designed to digest.
Marine pure also, like bioballs, very rarely clogs, because the holes in the pore structure are much larger (visible to the naked eye) the water can freely flow through the media, any waste that does pass into the media will usually pass straight through or be very easily flushed when the media is maintained as part of regular filter maintenance.
Just by simply looking at a piece of sintered glass type media, you can see that after 6 months of use, assuming 10% of the media surface area would still be usable (probably a realistic number to be using) at maximum, if we use Matrix as an example, that would be 70m2 per liter of usable surface area. and given that this is surface area on the outside of the media, very little of this would be allowing de-nitrification to occur.
Unquote.

More here.
http://www.cermedia.com/marinepure-testimonials.php
llewellyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #8
Aro2626
Arofanatic

So which is good and best of all?

Can any sifu here give advise and recommendation?
Aro2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #9
Zozo
Dragon

Seems like bio pure pores are less likely to clog up. Hence can hv more colonisation. Not sure e if I'm right.
Zozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:46 PM   #10
thor
Arofanatic

Hi for this new marine pure blocks
I check the price us $60 to $75
Any difference?
Regards
Thor
thor is offline   Reply With Quote