Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 02-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
eugenel

Default cycled betta tank

hi guys, have a few questions to ask about cycled betta tanks

1) does ktp extracts like atison betta spa affect beneficial bacteria in filters? i've found that lower ph is not idea for bacteria, but i guess it just means i need to cycle longer

2) i've read that ktp water will "spoilt" after some time, so for a cycled betta tank, how does that works out? cause normally in a cycled tank water change weekly is maybe 30%, so do i just do a 100% water change? but that will affect the bacterial right?

4) which betta fin types are suitable for tanks with filters? i've read that the big fins hinder their swimming abilities, are dumbo bettas able swimmers? or for filtered tanks i'm only able to keep plakats? how are crowntails swimming abilites?
eugenel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
bundaberg
Dragon

Hi there.
1) Personally, I dont use Atison Betta Spa. However, i believe it is a product to help your bettas(:

2) Water Change is actually very simple. For me, i age tap water for about 24 hours and then add Salt, Water conditioner after i change water.

3) we dont need filters in keeping such fishes. Bettas are tough fishes that you can enjoy viewing just in a normal glass tank or container used in Competition aka SU830.

Cheers. Just sharing my view😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bundaberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:02 PM   #3
eugenel

yup i'm aware that betta dont need a filter, but i'm planning to keep mine with a snail, and maybe some shrimps, will have to see how agressive he is first thou
Old 04-10-2016, 11:42 AM   #4
patclay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenel View Post
yup i'm aware that betta dont need a filter, but i'm planning to keep mine with a snail, and maybe some shrimps, will have to see how agressive he is first thou
I think shrimps can't survive if Comm with bettas
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 04:24 PM   #5
eugenel

from what i searched, it seems to depends on the personality of the betta,
if it attack then gg,
if just ignore, all is good!
Old 07-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #6
CoLeMaN
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenel View Post
just start with a plakat first.
CoLeMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 04:07 PM   #7
eugenel

okay, will do thanks!
Old 22-10-2016, 12:57 PM   #8
eugenel

in case some newbies are asking, i'm going to post my experiences so far

betta spa doesn't seem to spoilt the water after awhile, but i'm not doing 30% weekly, i'm doing about 50%

as for filters, i would recommend a filter with adjustable flowrates/etc, as it took some time for my betta to get used to the constant flow.
adjustable cause when i on the flow at full, mine wasn't able to swim properly.
a sponge filter and a valve to limit bubbles is what i used

also i kept my betta with other fishes and have noticed a few things

1) my betta was a serious pig, during feedings i had to separate him as he will eat to the point of constipation

2) fishes that prefer sinking foods might seem like a good idea but i've ran into 2 problems. firstly, sinking foods take some time to sink, so just luring the fish to the top isn't enough. and secondly for some reason, my serpae tetra doesn't dig around the gravel for food, but my betta does it very diligently so i need to clear them

3) although serpae tetras are known to nib fins, they seem to respect size, they will fight amongst themselves but always avoid my betta

4) serpae tetras will vomit food when they are too full, making it a ***** when you are trying to treat your betta for constipation

5) my betta doesn't chase/attack the serpae tetras only initially, and i've also noticed he has never flared at them. so maybe just a simple flare test would be enough