Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #51
Fei Yi

hi there
may i ask if red sea salt an other sea salt same?
is there difference between sea salt?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #52
KaLiB

The transparent circle, are you referring to the seachem ammonia alert(or similar product)? IMO not very useful. I used this before but it needs to be replaced regularly otherwise it would not work. IMO, better to invest in a good set of testkits instead.

There are slight differences between each brand of salt, mainly the water parameters after mixing. You can do a search and see what everyone has to say about each brand of salt and decide which to use. I'm using Coralife and Redsea salt currently, i've used tropic marin in the past. Expensive but good.

If your going for a reef tank and considering red sea salt, i would suggest getting the red sea coral pro salt. The normal red sea salt, from what i've read, isn't as good in terms of water parameters produced after mixing. It still can be used, but better for fish systems.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #53
Fei Yi

heehee icic thankyou i do some search and update again
Old 12-12-2008, 01:09 PM   #54
Fei Yi

i planning to buy

Turbo Twist 9 watt UV Steriliser

is it ok for marine tank to kill those bacteria?
Old 12-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #55
KaLiB

UV sterillizers only kill whatever that passes through the device. It cannot harm organisms that don't live in the water column so it should not harm the beneficial bacteria.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #56
Fei Yi

hee hee ok ok . i think will get one.
Old 17-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #57
Fei Yi

hi there i finally got my marine tank . . . .
but i still thinking of filter media

i got a 3 ft sump, with 3 compartment
i thinking DIY the 4th one

first compartment:
white sponge, then coral chips a lot

but still got many space, thinking of putting bio ball after the white sponge

2nd compartment
cermic ring
bio home plus 2 - 3 kg

3rd compartment :
return pump,
protin skimmer
9w uv turbo light
and some clay filter media, i just sock there only haha.

by the way i did not see any burble out from my skimmer what i could see at those fish shop. is there any problems with it? the water is pretty clear in the skimmer
Old 17-12-2008, 05:40 PM   #58
KaLiB

Did you connect the air intake? It may not have been connected hence there are no bubbles in your skimmer.

Another possibility would be the air intake itself is underwater, this can cause bubbles to not form too.

I would suggest forgoing the bioballs,ceramic rings and coral chips. These media are effective at nitrification but are not able to help in dentrification. Due to these, you may face potential nitrate problems(due to lack of dentrification) in future. Coral chips and ceramic rings tend to collect detritous and choke too. The biohome alone should be able to provide for your filtration needs. The liverocks and sand(if using any) in the maintank that would also aid in filtration.

If possible, i would suggest housing the skimmer and return pump in a seperate compartment to reduce the chances of the return pump sucking microbubbles and returning them back to the maintank.

Currently, i'm using only liverocks and sand to provide filtration in my 4x2x2 tank. The only media i have in my sump is the filter wool and 3pcs of liverock.
Old 18-12-2008, 01:36 AM   #59
Fei Yi

wao your filteration is just that simple??

haha the air intake is really in the water hahaa
i thought skimmer no bubble seems to be very good.

my main tank got many life rock . . . and i thinking if the sand i had is life sand coz the person that sold me every thing said there are organisum in the sand and there is some red worms that break down the waste . . . but i think he himself not very sure if is live sand hahaa.

how can we tell if is life sand?
Old 18-12-2008, 01:57 AM   #60
KaLiB

Yup, thats all i'm using for filtration. I didn't have good results(high nitrates) when i used bioball + filter wool combo in my previous 4x2x2 setup.

If the guy had liverocks in his tank and you got the sand from his tank, we can consider the sand as livesand so long as it is kept wet and not allowed to dry out. The red worms are likely to be bristleworms, good scavengers.