Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Default Dymax eZ Filter EF-30/EF-40.

Hey guys, anyone tried the above internal filter? media space seems quite large from the picture, with a 600l/hr pump.. im looking for a internal filter to combo with my Fx5 for my 422.. wonder how much media i can pack inside this for pure bio filtration.
EvolutionZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM   #2
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Hey guys, first and foremost, i must say that i am not linked with dymax whatsoever, just felt that this filter is pretty good so why not do a review on it?

I was at polyart finding internal filters with large space for bio-filtration and saw this new dymax internal filter.. the bigger version comes with 4 stackable 'tray' and the smaller one comes with 3 'trays'. both are equipped with a 600l/hr pump.

the filter itself comes with wool, carbon and sponges. all of which are actually pretty much waste of space, the left side of the filter is actually a special portion that can be used to fit a IQ Skimmer, since mine is a freshwater set up, shall not waste that space.

i chose Seachem Matrix and Eheim Substrate Pro for media because they are generally smaller in size and can fill the filter space to the maximum. im really surprised how much media this filter can hold. in all, 1L of seachem matrix, roughly 700 - 800ML of eheim substrate pro and 100ml of Seachem Purigen is able to fill up the filter. with 2 of the provided wool to trap debris. that equates to around 1.5 Fluval Fx5 tray.

i've never seen any internal filter able to hold such amount of media. it should be able to hold 1 - 1.5kg of biohome.

my tank's a 422, so you can figure out how big issit, roughly 35 - 40cm tall.. the whole filter needs to be submerged as theres inlet holes both at the bottom and top. the squeezed nozzle output increases the 600l/hr output by a little.. (apologies for the dirty tank, just changed tank so still in the midst of setting up)

For those people who do not mind a big black box in the tank, it makes a great addition for pure bio-filtration. Especially for people like me who can only fit one fluval fx5 (which is well known for its small bio media space) in a 422. honestly, i find this one of the nicest internal filter too. since its black and squarish.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
atwork
Dragon

Look like an internal canister filer
atwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
icekiki
Dragon

Bro it looks pretty gd. Can share the damage? thanks
icekiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by atwork View Post
Look like an internal canister filer
yes indeed! if don't mind the big size, 1 422 use 4, 2 at the back, 2 at each side, no need other filter liao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icekiki View Post
Bro it looks pretty gd. Can share the damage? thanks
the quality is pretty good IMO. it cost slightly more than 3 red notes.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #6
Emozz
Dragon

seem cool...prehaps time to drop by LFS and enquire bout it...as searching for similer type of internal filter.

Do we need to take the whole thing out if we want to clean it up or change wool?
Emozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #7
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emozz View Post
seem cool...prehaps time to drop by LFS and enquire bout it...as searching for similer type of internal filter.

Do we need to take the whole thing out if we want to clean it up or change wool?
For my case no need, it depends on where you put the wool, if you put at the bottom water inlet, yes you have to take everything apart to reach it, if you put near the top water inlet, then u just have to remove the top cover.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:42 AM   #8
ilovechilired

one of the reason i am afraid of internal filter..

once u off the power, all the dirt comes out and water turns very dirty..
Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
EvolutionZ
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovechilired View Post
one of the reason i am afraid of internal filter..

once u off the power, all the dirt comes out and water turns very dirty..
i usually do maintenance for filters during water change, so can siphon out the dirt...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
ChilliRed

Good write up bro.

What wattage EZ filters x 4 sets compared to your fx5 ?

Performance comparable so far ?

Thanks.