Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers

Old 20-09-2012, 05:15 PM   #41
illumnae
Dragon

Thanks for the advice bro. Need to find a place to buy peppermint shrimp first. Aiptasia just appeared today and I can already see why it's such a dreaded pest...it's all over the place!

Dropped by Marine Life over lunch and bought a Randall's goby + Tiger pistol shrimp pair. Very very cute. The shrimp has been digging for 20min liao haha.

Current inhabitants are 2 scarlet claw hermit crabs, 3 trochus snails, 1 Randall's goby and 1 Tiger pistol shrimp. Just going to keep 2 peppermint shrimps and 2 clownfish (both same species - juvenile ocellaris so I will end up with 1 female and 1 male aka no aggression issues) and that's it. Bioload is high, so I may increase the wc regime to 20% weekly instead.

I think I will wait awhile before introducing corals. I'm more scared of the corals dying and fouling the water. Plan is for simple corals like zoas and mushrooms to start off. Once more stable, I'll introduce perhaps sun/super sun corals and a simple LPS like bubble or frogspawn or torch coral.

That's the long term plan that is months away.
illumnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 05:35 PM   #42
dominik2233
Arofanatic

i often see iwarna sell the peppermint shrimps.
dominik2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #43
illumnae
Dragon

Thanks dominik for the heads up!
Old 20-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #44
illumnae
Dragon

New additions today...Randall's shrimp goby and Tiger pistol shrimp!

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 21-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #45
sixthbrand
Dragon

Looking good!!! Wa this thread getting poisonous!
sixthbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #46
dominik2233
Arofanatic

hi, how did you embed the youtube in your post? i can't get it done.
dominik2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #47
illumnae
Dragon

The skimmer is starting to produce some very light brown skimmate. Not yet green tea darkness, but it's better than last week!

Added in some new livestock over the weekend - a pair of clownfish from Coral Farm and 2 peppermint shrimp (for aiptasia control) from LCK201. The pistol shrimp/goby pair have since shifted their cave location...I think they felt threatened by the new livestock.

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 24-09-2012, 10:17 AM   #48
ziw3i
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illumnae View Post
The skimmer is starting to produce some very light brown skimmate. Not yet green tea darkness, but it's better than last week!

Added in some new livestock over the weekend - a pair of clownfish from Coral Farm and 2 peppermint shrimp (for aiptasia control) from LCK201. The pistol shrimp/goby pair have since shifted their cave location...I think they felt threatened by the new livestock.

YouTube Video
wow looking good !
the clownfish colour are very bright and beautiful..

maybe it will be better if you have a 6ft marine at home
sit down on ur sofa and view
ziw3i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #49
KaLiB

Nice additions. I'm also thinking of getting a goby/shrimp pair myself.

Your on the right track with your tuning if your getting light brown coloured skimmate. What should happen is that the bubbles in the reaction chamber would slowly accumulate and travel up the cone on its own and into the collection cup.
Old 24-09-2012, 11:10 AM   #50
illumnae
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziw3i View Post
wow looking good !
the clownfish colour are very bright and beautiful..

maybe it will be better if you have a 6ft marine at home
sit down on ur sofa and view
Haha maybe in 5 years when it's time for a tank refresh and the discus pass on due to old age. I'm still happy with my 2 discus tanks at home!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaLiB View Post
Nice additions. I'm also thinking of getting a goby/shrimp pair myself.

Your on the right track with your tuning if your getting light brown coloured skimmate. What should happen is that the bubbles in the reaction chamber would slowly accumulate and travel up the cone on its own and into the collection cup.
Thanks! The goby/shrimp pair look washed out in comparison to the clownfish, but they definitely exhibit much more interesting behaviour which more than makes up for it. Going to Coral Farm over the weekend, I saw the hi-fin black striped goby, which made me slightly regret getting the Randall's as the Randall's has a similar orange/white colour scheme to my clowns. But I do really like the eye-spot decor on the dorsal of the Randall's too though. Hmmmm....

For the skimmate, it's really pale brown at the moment. I'm hoping it gets darker over time since the bioload of the tank just increased.

Hopefully the peppermint shrimp do their job and get rid of the aiptasia so that I can start adding corals over the coming weeks I got a 3 polyp frag of Sunflower Zoanthid over the weekend too but don't want to overload the system too much at this stage.