Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 17-11-2016, 08:07 PM   #1
kenghua
Arofanatic

Question Biomedia replacement frequency

Starting a new thread. The most "recent" related-thread I could find is from 2006.

After the demise of my 7+ year old RTG, I'm now keeping a tetra comm tank.

Dropped by Y618 yesterday looking to replace the CRs in my canister filter. Beside CRs, I'm also having BioHome Plus in the canister. I've never replace the biomedia since I bought them. From what I read on AF years ago (my old account was either deleted or lost during the data migration), biomedia such as CRs do not have expired date and only need to be rinsed with tank water to unclog the surface during maintenance. (quarterly for me)

The Y618 uncle and the young lady looked genuinely surprised when I told them how old my CRs are. They recommend replacing the CRs every 2 years. I ended up buying a 5L tub of Mr Aqua CR. I plan to replace the CRs in both my canister and OHF during upcoming WC. However, I would be keeping the BioHome Plus for seeding BB to the new CRs.

So, how often do you replace your biomedia?
kenghua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
Aro77
Dragon

been using my CRs and Jap mat for many years , every 3 - 4 months just wash it with tank water and good to last me until the next time i see it all clogged up..

for changing my biohome or those bacteria house sticks , i just change when it becomes powdery.

for my jap mat & CR so far never changed , dont think it will spoil , but i guess i will change when i see for random reasons ammonia starts to be present with my constant routine and without changing my bioload.. so then i probably take a guess that the media starting to age.. slowly change 1 compartment every 1 - 2 weeks and of course add BB

no harm changing anyways as long change right way and fishes are ok
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
kenghua
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro77 View Post
no harm changing anyways as long change right way and fishes are ok
Thanks for the input!

Good points made. I guess it depends on the bioload. Hobbyists, especially arowana keepers, tend to overstock biomedia on the safe side, for the sake of their precious fishes.

The key to know whether biomedia is working as it should would be to test water parameters. I've to admit. I stopped testing after 2+ years of keeping my RTG. I took it for granted and assumed my quarterly canister maintenance sufficed.
kenghua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
jebus
Dragon

my Biohome in cannister filter become soft and turned to powder if i press it.

the biohome was in the cannister since 8yrs ago
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #5
millenium
Senior Dragon

I use a type of seachem media that is natural porous stone. I never change it for ten years.
millenium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #6
jebus
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenium View Post
I use a type of seachem media that is natural porous stone. I never change it for ten years.
should be seachem matrix/denitrate
jebus is offline   Reply With Quote