Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 17-03-2006, 02:09 PM   #1
zoinks

Question Filtration and Media Q's for NOOB Hobbyist

Hi guys, I have been lurking around for the longest time and finally joined your community. A 3x1.5x1.5 has recently come into my hands courtesy of a nice brother. Trying to set it up with an OHF and external cannister to cycle the tank now and have been reading up like mad so I have adequate knowledge to succeed in this task.

Hope you guys can help with my queries.

Is a 3x1.5x1.5 filtered with a 3' OHF and Eheims 2226 considered overkill?

What would you experts recommend?
P.S I already have the cannister. Have not purchased the OHF yet.

Someone recommended biohome. it's really expensive though. More importantly, is it worth it or should I just get plain CR?

If i do get Biohome. should i stack it on the last tray in the OHF or cannister? or both?

Lastly, what is your ideal setup for a 3' tank? Just so I have something to work on.

Opinions and suggestions very much appreciated.

Also.. I'm in the market for a black 3' OHF. if anyone has one for sale. Please pm me or call 97733646.

Thks everyone.

Last edited by zoinks; 17-03-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 17-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #2
rednawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoinks
Hi guys, I have been lurking around for the longest time and finally joined your community. A 3x1.5x1.5 has recently come into my hands courtesy of a nice brother. Trying to set it up with an OHF and external cannister to cycle the tank now and have been reading up like mad so I have adequate knowledge to succeed in this task.

Hope you guys can help with my queries.

Someone recommended biohome. it's really expensive though. More importantly, is it worth it or should I just get plain CR?

If i do get Biohome. should i stack it on the last tray in the OHF or cannister? or both?

Lastly, what is your ideal setup for a 3' tank? Just so I have something to work on.

Opinions and suggestions very much appreciated.

Also.. I'm in the market for a black 3' OHF. if anyone has one for sale. Please pm me or call 97733646.

Thks everyone.
Overkill or Not depends on what and how much fish you are keeping. never know that overkill is a problem.
Old 17-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #3
Snokey

bro, i've been researching about filtration also leh, cos i have a new 3ft tank as well, so maybe we can share some of the information, since i very beginner at this kind of thing.

Quote:

After reading through a lot of threads in this section, i see many experienced bros mentioning filtering roughly about 3 times your tank size per hour is good enough, say for a 3ft tank, volume will be about max 200l, a 600l/hr filter will be good. But apparently the flowrate of the filter is often not as high as stated due to many reasons like the media slowing down the flowrate and stuff. So more is ok.

From what i read, it seems that the fishes that you are keeping is also an important factor. If your fish can tahan the strong current created by the filter, then go ahead and put more filters in. But if your fish cannot tahan, then either (1) use a rainbar and direct the flow towards the tank wall or a piece of rock, so that not much current will be created, (2) simply dun use so powerful a filter.

Quote:
I read through the buy/sell section and found out that prices for biohmoe plus is ard $38 a kg, if u r buying at least 5 kg. As for CR, there are the smooth and rough type and also the sintered glass type, i saw a lfs near my house selling those quite smooth type at about $4.50/kg so the price difference is really alot. Also you have to take note of the total surface area of the media, the more the merrier.

Once again, if you are planning to keep expensive fishes, then u should jus spend more and buy the better quality media. It will put ur mind at ease, and the fish will be happier too.

Quote:
I jus read that the more experienced bros here advise placing filter wool above the biohome to trap all the big pieces of waste so that the biohome wun get clogged up too easily. Also its easier to replace/wash the filter wool.

Quote:
Also.. I'm in the market for a black 3' OHF. if anyone has one for sale.
black one dun haf, transparent one can? check out this thread, a nice bro is selling them.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=229837

All this information are from what i read, so some of them might not be really accurate since i might haf misinterpret them, all those more experienced bros out there, if there is any mistake or any better ideas, please feel free to correct me..
Old 17-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #4
Cool Dude
Dragon

bro, well said.
Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 05:35 PM   #5
hsfran
Arofanatic

Already sound like a expert. Keep up the good work and read more.
hsfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #6
andychen

Smile

bro, guess with your canister should be enough if the Bioload is not high. I use only 1X 1200L/H canister for my 4ft tank and it seems alright and water is clear, as you change water every now and then you can also suck up the leftovers... If your talking water cycling, don't really have to use too many filtrations.. Used tanks just use your canister with some salts added and let it cycle for few days will do..
Old 17-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #7
andychen

For the 3ft OHF not really hard to find also.. Guess every LFS also they sell... I meant for a normal 2ft OHF can extend to up to 3ft if I'm not wrong, but if your refering OHF Box that consist of many trays then of course have to find.. Not that hard to find them selling in LFS also..
Old 17-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #8
zoinks

Wow.. thks for the reply everyone.

Hey snokey, for my 3' tank i figure an ohf for the basic necessary BB and a cannister to "polish" the water. do you think thats advisable? I have put some thought into this and it seems feasible to me. I have a 10" pg waiting to be transfered into this tank. plan to add some mates for him as well.. maybe a suckerfish and a few silver dollars. as for biohome, I'm pretty broke right now so I'm goin to cycle the tank with Mr Aqua CR 1st and add another tray of Biohome when I have the cash. my cannister is rated around 1000G/ph i think.. thats about 5 times my tank capacity. Heard it should be 4-5 times.

I just got eheim filter wool and will place them in my cannister REAL SOON!

By the way, whats your setup like? care to tell me about it so we can compare and see if anything can be improved?

Thks much for your reply Snokey.
Old 17-03-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
BNR34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snokey
bro, i've been researching about filtration also leh, cos i have a new 3ft tank as well, so maybe we can share some of the information, since i very beginner at this kind of thing.

After reading through a lot of threads in this section, i see many experienced bros mentioning filtering roughly about 3 times your tank size per hour is good enough, say for a 3ft tank, volume will be about max 200l, a 600l/hr filter will be good. But apparently the flowrate of the filter is often not as high as stated due to many reasons like the media slowing down the flowrate and stuff. So more is ok.

It should be atleast 4 times or more your tanks capacity and yes you are right about the media, length taken to travel and other variables that slow the flow rate down

From what i read, it seems that the fishes that you are keeping is also an important factor. If your fish can tahan the strong current created by the filter, then go ahead and put more filters in. But if your fish cannot tahan, then either (1) use a rainbar and direct the flow towards the tank wall or a piece of rock, so that not much current will be created, (2) simply dun use so powerful a filter.

If you are directing the flow of water towards the wall of the tank and thus slowing it down where is the effetiveness as the flow of water will be extremely akward instead of a smooth circular flow ?

Once again, if you are planning to keep expensive fishes, then u should jus spend more and buy the better quality media. It will put ur mind at ease, and the fish will be happier too.

Very true

I jus read that the more experienced bros here advise placing filter wool above the biohome to trap all the big pieces of waste so that the biohome wun get clogged up too easily. Also its easier to replace/wash the filter wool.

True

black one dun haf, transparent one can? check out this thread, a nice bro is selling them.

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=229837

All this information are from what i read, so some of them might not be really accurate since i might haf misinterpret them, all those more experienced bros out there, if there is any mistake or any better ideas, please feel free to correct me..
Don't worry bro, no one here is an expert it's just learning and sharing.
Old 17-03-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
BNR34

Quote:
Originally Posted by andychen
bro, guess with your canister should be enough if the Bioload is not high. I use only 1X 1200L/H canister for my 4ft tank and it seems alright and water is clear, as you change water every now and then you can also suck up the leftovers... If your talking water cycling, don't really have to use too many filtrations.. Used tanks just use your canister with some salts added and let it cycle for few days will do..
If your planned bioload is high then the more BB's that colonise the better meaning more media. For proper cycling leaving it for a few days won't do as it takes atleast 4 weeks to cycle be it fish or fishless cycling. Did you cycle your tank for a few days ? Are your water parameters the best the can be at ?