Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 13-11-2009, 12:03 PM   #31
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
I keep two small ones in my comm tanks. Really keeps the tank bottom free of leftovers, they are very greedy, more than endies!
Pete; wrt RTC... erm.. they serve the same purpose in a Comm?
ur 'small ones' any chance to grow fast? haha... i had thought RTCs more useful if placed with a solo Aro

In a comm, i would think the fact that there are competitors [other aros] around, would be sufficient to 'make' each Aro eat....
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 02:51 PM   #32
Kira76
Arofanatic

From my experience, when heater is on to 30 degrees, my aro tends to eat more. But, even with competition from tank mates, there are still instances where my aro tends to fast and refuse to take food. These are rare considering the fact that my XB tends to be a greedy eater that takes anything from feeders, GS, froggy, MP and occationally centipite as treats.

What truely impressed me is that recently after a fishing trip, I brought back some live MP, and just to test if my aro would take or not, I throw two into my tank. My aro is able to register that these are food and instantly ate them up.
Kira76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 03:32 PM   #33
getcarter
Dragon

one of d things i always do is,if aro is stable n eatting well,dont make any changes to d environment,one common example will be: removing/adding tank mates,just leave it as it used to be,just sharing
getcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #34
yoAro
Dragon

Last time mine also poor in appetite n fussy eater, water para all ok, except gH unmonitored. Then i try feed with mini catfish, it accept on first 2 days only.

About 2 weeks ago, out of curiosity, bought a gH testkit, got a reading of 9!
Quickly did a major wc, add some k-leaves, gH drop to about 7(pH still same b4 & after wc), aro appetite suddenly become very good, from 1 bf a day become 3-4 bf per day.

So i'm wondering is it gH the cause or mini catfish helps in opening up his appetite? Just my sharing...
yoAro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #35
sgt_choo

My aro is a fussy eater..only eats sw, crickets n mp..the rest don't touch..as some of e bros mentioned I will fast him for a day to allow e aro to clr it's system..there are times he will not eat for 1-2 days..I carried out 30-40% water change on weekly basis..I have tried to improved his appetite by using a heater, tetra vitamins for aro, input of good bacteria..all methods seeing improvements in appetite..but best method for me is to intro greedy tank mates such as kkp etc..

I supposed that even a fussy eating aro will still attained it max size provided it is given ample room..maybe slower than a greedy one..any bros will like to comment on this..
Old 13-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #36
Xiaolong
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_choo View Post
My aro is a fussy eater..only eats sw, crickets n mp..the rest don't touch..as some of e bros mentioned I will fast him for a day to allow e aro to clr it's system..there are times he will not eat for 1-2 days..I carried out 30-40% water change on weekly basis..I have tried to improved his appetite by using a heater, tetra vitamins for aro, input of good bacteria..all methods seeing improvements in appetite..but best method for me is to intro greedy tank mates such as kkp etc..

I supposed that even a fussy eating aro will still attained it max size provided it is given ample room..maybe slower than a greedy one..any bros will like to comment on this..
Bro, like that very good liao lor... , some aros once try SW, cricket will reject taking MP again.
Xiaolong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 04:21 PM   #37
Spakase

Quote:
Pete; wrt RTC... erm.. they serve the same purpose in a Comm?
ur 'small ones' any chance to grow fast? haha... i had thought RTCs more useful if placed with a solo Aro

In a comm, i would think the fact that there are competitors [other aros] around, would be sufficient to 'make' each Aro eat....
Today 09:21 AM
Same issue, even comm fishes can strike. RTCs just clear away the leftovers, no need to stick a net in to take out the MP! I intend to send the RTC back to the LFS before they reach half the aro size. Then get new ones, small ones, they're very useful but once they grow big, can be counterproductive.
Old 13-11-2009, 04:25 PM   #38
sgt_choo

Haa..guess so..juz feel Asian aros are so difficult to understand..lots of knowledge to pick up..not easy..

Btw bro Xiao long nice n massive red aro u have..saw e pics..great buy..
Old 13-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #39
Fins&Tails
Senior Dragon

used to feed my comm 2xmeals a day. few of them started becoming fussy in eating mp.

changed it to 1xmeal a day. all started taking mp but not as much compared to sw/bf.

now every 2days (48hr) 1xmeal with mp. all snatch like crazy. size also bulked up compared to previous mp feeding regime.

i guess having a longer break inbetween can maintain a good digestive system and also better water quality, thus even if fed 2-3days once, the fishes looked more active, deeper in colour and also bulked up faster. btw my fishes are 1yr old since 5"-6", currently @ 16"-17"

Last edited by Fins&Tails; 13-11-2009 at 05:16 PM.
Fins&Tails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2009, 05:25 PM   #40
shiokmc
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spakase View Post
I intend to send the RTC back to the LFS before they reach half the aro size. Then get new ones, small ones, they're very useful but once they grow big, can be counterproductive.

ahhhh - GREAT idea !!!! but i don't know of any LFS who has space & willing to take in a Big RTC you're Right-On the 'counterproductive part'..
shiokmc is offline   Reply With Quote