Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 15-03-2010, 12:08 AM   #1
leong26

Default Tropheus duboisi, Maswa, Wide Yellow Band

hi, just got a pair of blue face Wide Yellow Band, as i have sold off my RTG my 4ft have been sitting there for a month+.

today go lfs look see and saw a pair of these and the price ok and tapow home. as i only get try malawi but never try tanganyika before i would like bros here to advise me what others tangan can comm with or can this species also comm with others cichlids like central am or malawis?

any advise and info would be great, thanks
Old 15-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #2
TaNgS_RuLe
Dragon

Welcome to the world of tangans

tropheus are a pleasure to keep, always full of energy, and it is fun to watch the way they build a hirechy and interact with one another. Having said that, most tropheus are best kept in colonies. In fact tropheus are usually found in large shoals, except for duboisis, which are found in pairs.

It is possible to keep a pair of duboisis and breed them, but if there is a mismatch, the results could be disastrious as they are highly aggressive, and the male will beat up the female. If the female is not saved, she will die.

Tropheus are best kept in a species tank, but they can be kept with other similar fish such as petros, simmochromis, and the goby family. I have also had no issues with keeping them with julidochromis.

For now do monitor them, and make sure that one does not stress the other too much. If possible, get more, they do much better in colonies.
TaNgS_RuLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
leong26

hi,thanks i just do a search just now about these fish. as i also do not know what fish to keep as i just sold off the rtg and i got to say aro is just not for me. i keep that rtg untill gill curl.

As i was in malawis before and present also keep a small colonies of them in another 4 footer. this tangan is afirst for me. but the search i got just now is this species is prone to bload and not an easy to keep species.

but well anyway i bought it back so good luck to me. i will gather more info and do more home work as it goes. thanks
Old 15-03-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
jack_dempsey
Dragon

Do watch their diet.
I would like to recommend Sera Granu Green.
They dont do well on meaty stuffs.
jack_dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 04:11 PM   #5
leong26

aiyo i bought the hikari cichlids excel le, what type of gravel to be use? those dark colour type america river sand can? any recommend?
Old 15-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #6
leong26

hi, may i know what's the diff between WC Tropheus and those of CB?apart for the price is double. any thing to take note for those WC ones? thanks
Old 19-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #7
desmondekker

i read somewhere before that duboisis are herbivores. so what's a good diet for them?
Old 06-04-2010, 12:37 PM   #8
RockNRoLLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmondekker View Post
i read somewhere before that duboisis are herbivores. so what's a good diet for them?
New life spectrum. African cichlid formula
Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #9
fionhu

i use to keep them also and normally i feed them only on BW, sometime also the "POA ZHENG HONG". They just wrack whatever i throw into the tank....hehe
Old 07-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #10
Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by leong26 View Post
hi, just got a pair of blue face Wide Yellow Band, as i have sold off my RTG my 4ft have been sitting there for a month+.

today go lfs look see and saw a pair of these and the price ok and tapow home. as i only get try malawi but never try tanganyika before i would like bros here to advise me what others tangan can comm with or can this species also comm with others cichlids like central am or malawis?

any advise and info would be great, thanks
bro, can post a pic to ahoe your fishes?